Viewing 20 topics - 1 through 20 (of 291 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Hurth HSW 630V1 Trolling Valve

This topic has 1 reply, has 1 voices, and was last updated byJon Fairbrother 2 weeks ago

February 29, 2024 at 12:29 pm Hello, does anyone know the correct part number for a Hurth HSW 630V1 trolling valve? (behind a 6BTA-M2-250HP) I understand ZF 63 is a similar transmission which I have found trolling valve part number ZF 331299009, can anyone confirm if that is compatible with my transmissions?

Started by: Jon Fairbrother

1 Reply
      March 1, 2024 at 4:44 pm For anyone else that is wondering I have confirmed with ZF that Part – 331299009 is indeed the correct part for the Hurth 630V1 and ZF 63IV transmissions.

Last Post by: Jon Fairbrother posted: 2 weeks ago

• ZF 325 no forward gear

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 1 month ago

January 30, 2024 at 11:50 am Hello I’m pretty stuck and looking for advice. I have a gianetti 58 with twin cummins qsm 11 coupled to zf325 a1 gearbox.  The port engine is giving me some trouble. It was working normally, until one of the hydraulic lines to the oil cooler (rusted at the coupling) and leaked the fluid out. At which point I had no forward or reverse. I replaced the hose, filter and refilled and now I have reverse but no forward. When in neutral the shaft …

Started by: charlie beckett

1 Reply
      January 30, 2024 at 5:52 pm Post clear pics of all–all angles/perspectives–stay back about 2 ft.

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Why two drains for ZF IRM280A.2

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 2 months ago

January 9, 2024 at 12:51 pm I recently purchased a boat with twin CTA8.3-M3 engines coupled to ZF IRM280A.2 transmissions.  The boat is equipped with an oil changer and when I started to service the transmissions, I was surprised to find that the lines are not connected to the transmissions.  There are two drain plugs at the bottom of the transmissions.  Do both need to be pulled to drain it properly or can either one be used? I saw on another post where these plugs are a …

Started by: dwitte58

1 Reply
      January 11, 2024 at 5:05 pm Use one side or the other.. Pic attached.. It’s a standard Metric adapter.  

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 2 months ago

• flying buttress bearing change

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byJohn 3 months ago

December 5, 2023 at 2:48 am Hello everyone, i write from spain! i recently buy an alpa 34fly with 2 6bta 1994 315hp and HSW800 V1 gearbox. i need to change the flying butress bearings( i have used google translate..), what is the easier way to do it, remove the shaf, or only the propeller? if i need remove the shaf, how can i do it? thanks!

Started by: tarenaldo

2 Replies
      December 10, 2023 at 5:25 am No idea what that is but if it’s the cutlass bearing like Rob mentioned, get the right size tool from “Strut Pro” and be done with it.  Pretty easy to use.  Several vides on how it works. Good luck, J

Last Post by: John posted: 3 months ago

• No forward gear Cummins and zf trans

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 3 months ago

December 5, 2023 at 7:30 am Hello  I am new here and hoping someone can help me out. I took over some repairs on a 441 meridan with cummins and v drive 2008 model year. When I got on boat the last company couldnt fix a No comm fault on port engine. I found several issues but main one was the mus plug had been changed and not wired correctly. I know have comm and engines start and run but I am without forward gear on port side. I am not getting the ground signal to forward …

Started by: Richard Gay

1 Reply
      December 8, 2023 at 6:11 pm Sounds like you are dealing with some version ( 4 versions) of Mercury SmartCrap electronics/control system..   Do you have a wiring diagram specific to the version you have?   Pictures of the controls?     

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 3 months ago

• Twin disc and QSM11

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 3 months ago

November 24, 2023 at 6:32 pm Good evening, I am in the process of powering a boat with a qsm11, currently the boat has a man D2876LE401 with a twin disc MG514c gear. Was wondering if there is a bell housing to join the twin disc with the qsm11?

Started by: Zane Andrews

1 Reply
      November 25, 2023 at 1:17 pm Your MAN engine probably has the same SAE specs as the QSM11–SAE 1 & SAE 14″ for the bell housing & flywheel–Should be “Plug & Play”   BTW—–The Twin Disc MG514C  is a very good gear –kinda like they do not make them that good anymore        Caution though– The QSM 11 is most likely less engine that the MAN so you will need to prop down to where the QSM11 is at or below 20 GPM…

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 3 months ago

• Milky Trans Fluid

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated bySteve 4 months ago

November 14, 2023 at 5:04 pm I have 1998 Cummins 6BTA coupled to a Hurth V-Drive Model HSW 800 V1-2.0 with the stock oil cooler. I maintain the raw water system myself making sure aftercooler and heat exchanger are cleaned every 3 years. I did remove the oil cooler a couple years ago and cleaned and rigged up a pressure test to look for any leaks between the raw water side and oil side and it seemed ok.  Oil level was ok. But when I changed the V-drive Hydrolic oil this tim…

Started by: Steve

2 Replies
      November 15, 2023 at 4:57 am Looks a new oil cooler is in my future. For what ever reason I was thinking that the oil pressure was higher than the raw water pressure.  I have an early 6BTA 370 with a 3x5x10 OAL 1.5″ hose. I see that there are 2 options. Is the only difference in the black one pictured is that it has pencil zincs on the ends?  As far as flushing, and pardon my ignorance, I see where you mention the use SAE 10 or 20W to do this. Are we talking regular m…

Last Post by: Steve posted: 4 months ago

• Twin disc starting in gear

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by1969Roamer46 4 months ago

October 29, 2023 at 9:40 am Hi there, Both of my twin disc gear boxes start in any position. Is that a normal operation?  99/98 B series 330 with twin disc.  Thx – Lew

Started by: Lew

3 Replies
      October 31, 2023 at 6:59 am If you don’t have neutral safety switches, the engines will be able to start in gear. It doesn’t have anything to do with clutches. The neutral safety switches on my ZF gears are threaded into the box the shift levers attach to on the gear. The wire that carries the “start” signal goes from the helm START switch to the safety switch, then to the magnetic start solenoid. The switch only lets the ‘start’ signal …

Last Post by: 1969Roamer46 posted: 4 months ago

• ZF 80 sticks in reverse

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byByron Biggs 5 months ago

September 30, 2023 at 10:19 pm 2005 390 Sundancer with QSB 5.9 and ZF 80 transmissions.  Ports side engine sticking in reverse.  Replaced the entire solenoid assembly (parts from SBMAR) and it is still happening.  However after replacing it did hold neutral upon starting.  Forward shifted fine.  Shift to reverse it went in gear, and then back to neutral it’s like it’s not completely shifting out of reverse.  Shaft turns slowly, not at full rpm.  I can shift in forward from th…

Started by: John Niemann

3 Replies
      October 13, 2023 at 3:34 am Please double check what I am outlining here! A very knowledgeable dock mate suggested a possible remedy for your problem could be a dirty screen on the bad shifting plunger.  If not already done remove shifting plunger (the thing the solonoid moves) and clean screen.  There should be pics and/or drawings in your ZF manual. Good luck

Last Post by: Byron Biggs posted: 5 months ago

• Shaft Zincs falling off

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 5 months ago

September 20, 2023 at 11:48 am Shaft Zincs falling off<br /><br />42 Tiara Open QSM 11 Cummins.<br /><br />I just had my Port Trans rebuilt due to failed clutches (locked UP) work completed all good. After the rebuild I had a routine bottom job and had the props checked and balanced.<br /><br />The yard put on 2 new 2 1/2 inch shaft zincs on each shaft like I always do. In 60 days my diver checked my bottom and found the 2 shaft zincs on th…

Started by: Richard Geczi

1 Reply
      October 8, 2023 at 4:33 pm Try this———-aft zinc no more than 3″ in front the the strut–Next zinc,  1/2″ max in front of the aft zinc.. Seat both with a hammer a few times and double, triple, quadruple, tighten as reseat with a hammer  as they are tightened.

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 5 months ago

• ZF 220 Transmission – Adding Oil

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byJohn 5 months ago

September 27, 2023 at 5:34 am Good Day, Am new owner of a Monk 36 with a ZF220 transmission and during a fluid level check, I noticed that the oil level was very low.  I have the manual with the diagram that highlights the oil filler plug (cap) and other components.  I was having a real hard time loosening the oil fill plug so I am wondering whether I can add the oil through the dipstick receptacle?  As I am new to all this, I want to ensure I get things right from the get g…

Started by: craigpdonovan

4 Replies
      September 27, 2023 at 6:37 pm The important thing Rob sent is the two minute window to check the oil after turning engine off. Can’t check it cold.

Last Post by: John posted: 5 months ago

• ZF Transmission Noise in Gear at Idle Speed

This topic has 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated byRen Hoek 6 months ago

June 19, 2023 at 5:06 am We’ve got a 2010 Sundancer with QSB425 and ZF V-Drive transmissions, ZF 85 IV,  a noticeable noise started happening when in gear at idle and I’m looking for help with ideas of the cause.  I checked fluid levels, temps and pressures at speed and all seem to be normal and the port transmission has no noise.  The serial number on the unit is 30803-S.  I’ve got a video I’m trying to reduce file size to load, thank you in adv…

Started by: Kraig Kirby

6 Replies
      September 13, 2023 at 6:30 pm I have the same chatter on my ZF 286A transmission.  When I bought the boat new 12 years ago, ZF came out and told me it was normal gear clatter.  They said as long as the noise goes away with a slight increase in RPM, don’t worry about it.  If I bump up the throttle by 10 to 20 RPM, the noise goes away.  After 1200 hours of use, the noise at idle is still there. I have never found metal in the suction filter nor had any abnormalities reported w…

Last Post by: Ren Hoek posted: 6 months ago

• Ran a ground. Need some advice

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 6 months ago

July 15, 2023 at 7:03 am Short story long. Was on a plane cruising and bam ran a ground. We have some shoaling developing in side the channel in my area. Bow started to float and the high winds yesterday basically spun me off the sand and was able to get home. I noticed that that starboard transmission is slowly spinning in reverse when in neutral.  98 carver 400 cpmy. Twin 6bta 5.9 370 diamonds with zf85a 2:1.  had the marina haul the boat and a lot of damage. port str…

Started by: Kevin Wallace

1 Reply
      September 4, 2023 at 6:41 am A grounding like you describe  would NOT BE attributed to this particular symptom.  

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 6 months ago

• ZF302V-LD pressure loss on plane

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 6 months ago

August 27, 2023 at 12:28 pm 1995 3500 Tiara express with 6cta’s and zf302vld’s Hello,  I was on plane about 20 minutes on the Detroit river with normal pressure reading on transmission gauges ( around 360+/-) and she started to fall of plane- quick check and port was at 235- ish psi, came to idle and went to neutral where gauge stayed at around 235 psi. Shut down and check oil level, good and clean looking oil, restarted and when I shifted in forward the pressure dropped t…

Started by: Todd Valiquette

1 Reply
      September 4, 2023 at 6:25 am Look at the picture.. If I were you I’d be getting a full manual for the gear and learn it as best you can–A very good gear but not made anymore.  When shifting it is 100% normal for OP to drop very  low for a couple of seconds  Loosing pressure on plane needs to sorted out before you ruin the gear.  How close are you to Liberty, Kentucky? 

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 6 months ago

• ZF Pressure/Temperature Senders

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byAdam Carney 7 months ago

July 9, 2023 at 8:31 am Greetings, I was pleased to find this topic regarding temp/pressure tap locations on the ZF ATF trans. ZF “ATF” Transmission Pressure and Temperature Sender or Switch Locations (ZF 45/63/68/80/85) I think I’ve identified the pressure sender and adapter fitting for it. I can’t find the same information for the temperature sender. Questions: what adapter and sender for temperature. I’d like to have analog sender, …

Started by: Adam Carney

3 Replies
      August 9, 2023 at 8:36 am Scott, My transmissions currently have only a temperature switch. I’d like to install a resistive sender in that location and add a pressure switch or sender. I know the port threads but am looking for PN recommendation sor sender/switch device. I purchased an Albacombi converter but haven’t started setting it up yet.  AAdam    

Last Post by: Adam Carney posted: 7 months ago

• ZF 325-1 transmission- pressure drops to idle (~5 bar) intermittently

This topic has 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 7 months ago

August 2, 2023 at 9:30 am Having a problem with my 2006 ZF 325-1 transmission.  It will typically start up fine, but at some point while underway (up to hours after continual running), the pressure will drop to idle.  Resetting the electronic controls and/or swapping the filter usually gets it running again, but only temporarily.  The issue recurs eventually.  Oil filter and screen filter are both good.  Pulled the ECV apart today and didn’t see anything incredibly suspi…

Started by: rorourke

10 Replies
      August 3, 2023 at 4:19 pm You do not necessary need the rubber cover.. Just make a gasket, use a good modern sealant   and reinstall the square cover plate ( wait 48 hours) . 

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 7 months ago

• Zf301A 2.901:1 PTO

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 7 months ago

July 24, 2023 at 10:23 am I am wanting to drive a hydraulic pump 13tooth B flange and curious if my transmission can do it or not.  Attached pictures.

Started by: Larry aberg

3 Replies
      July 28, 2023 at 6:40 am You have an medium early 301A–Lots of design changes over the years on this gear.   Send me that picture direct and a clear picture of the data tag–I’ll see what you may be able to do.’ Do you have room up from for a reliable belt driven small hyd pump?

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 7 months ago

• 1999 Cummins 6BTA 5.9 Transmission Oil Change

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byRob Schepis 7 months ago

July 23, 2023 at 8:18 am I need to change my transmission oil on my twin Cummins 5.9 engines. I have the quick drain feature.  Questions: What is the capacity for transmission fluid? What type of fluid do I need, is ATF from auto parts store ok? What other items should I be checking, is there a filter/strainer I need to check? Is it easy as it sounds, just drain and refill?

Started by: Frank Ketcham

3 Replies
      July 24, 2023 at 6:19 am It’s all here on the forum.  Use the Advanced Search feature.  Search term 220 and rob as author.

Last Post by: Rob Schepis posted: 7 months ago

• ZF 280 iv (imr280vld.1) Transmission

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 8 months ago

June 19, 2023 at 1:56 pm Hello,  Having an issue, looking for help/direction. Intermittently, when I activate the forward gear, no reaction from transmission. I’ve cleaned the shift solenoid, replaced the coil and wire harness. When the issue occurs, if I tap on the shift valve, it starts working normally for the day.  I am told that I should upgrade the oil to Mobil424. Only happening to the forward direction, voltage is the same on both primary and secondary. 12.93 C…

Started by: Paul Palmeri

3 Replies
      July 19, 2023 at 6:51 pm Dirt was the issue–Good job..   As to Mobil 424—On paper per the specs, it has it all and  I like it a lot for just the reasons you found, but per ZF, I am no longer supposed to recommend it . “Politics?”      

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 8 months ago

• Changing ZF80A HSW 800 A2 filter – More Art than Science?

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byPaul 8 months ago

July 13, 2023 at 2:20 pm Just replaced the stbd turbo drain line on my 1999 Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M3 330 HP, and while running the engine to check for leaks noticed that I had ATF leaking out from the transmission’s filter cap.  No leaks on the drain line – yippee for that. Quick check of the repair/parts manual had me grab my 6mm Allen wrench and get into a boat yoga position to tighten the cap.  That didn’t help (it was already ‘closed to the stop&#…

Started by: Paul

5 Replies
      July 16, 2023 at 4:00 pm Was able to disassemble the filter today … just got a better angle on the screw and things came apart easily.  Thanks for the info – another routine maintenance item I can add to my “don’t have to pay for this to be done” list.

Last Post by: Paul posted: 8 months ago

Viewing 20 topics - 1 through 20 (of 291 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.