This forum contains 71 topics and 347 replies, and was last updated by  dvm004 15 hours ago.

Viewing 20 topics - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Reduction ratio

This topic has 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by dvm004 15 hours ago

April 24, 2019 at 3:22 pm Hello, new member with a question about choosing a reduction ratio for a zf 220a for a cummins 6bt. My son and I are repowering a 66’ webber cove 34’ lobster boat that weighs about 16k lbs. She cracked a head on the old volvo penta tamd40 and we pulled it and junked it. We took our time and built a 6bt, with mild p-pump changes. mild 6bt, no aftercooler, 230/240hp engine. The 220a down angle matches perfectly to our 10 degree shaft …

Started by:  dvm004

5 Replies
      April 25, 2019 at 3:20 pm Hi Rob, yes the shaft slid back from the original location. The nice wrap of braided line, looks like 50lb jbraid, is closer to where shaft sat. I will watch my clearances for the exhaust, the front of the volvo sat significantly higher than the trans due to the in line install. I am hoping to remedy this with the offset zf. This is a pic with volvo/velvet drive gone. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  dvm004 posted: 15 hours ago

• zf 280 1A gear oil

This topic has 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 week ago

April 16, 2019 at 6:16 am I have to change the gear oil in my ZF 280-1A transmissions. Can I use Shell Rotella T-1 30w or should I use a 30 weight non detergent? I am also open to any suggestions that may be a better choice. Thank you

Started by:  Dave schmitt

12 Replies
      April 18, 2019 at 7:21 pm “SQUARE” or flat with no chamfer so you get full contact on the thin aluminum hex area or surface.. A very simple job–just let the socket “float” on a belt sander platten…….. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 week ago

• trolling valve ?

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by joelhenkel 1 week ago

March 27, 2019 at 2:42 pm Hi I was curious as to adjusting the speed with the trolling valve. I have a ZF 280 attached to a 6cta 8.3 and trolling valve and would like to slow the trolling speed. Im running about 3 knots at idle but would like to be closer to 2. I have good guages and tools but unsure about adjusting, if even possible.

Started by:  joelhenkel

2 Replies
      April 18, 2019 at 11:57 am I have been trying to figure out exactly how the valve # ZF 3217108024 works. It seems to a fixed pressure reduction. Is there any paper work on these valves? Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  joelhenkel posted: 1 week ago

• Vibration on a drivetrain between 1100 and 1600rpm

This topic has 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by jean-marc tardif 3 weeks ago

March 30, 2019 at 12:34 pm I just bought a 2004 42ft with twin 6cta, zf 2801-v transmissions. I have launch the boat yesterday and I can feel a vibration. Between 1100 and 1600 rpm, When the rpm is in the vibration range I can see the engine shacking a little bit more than the other side. Before launch I haven’t took measurement of the shaft but the Prop look good, no bend or dent. Is there a pro here that could help me how to diagnose this? Boat is in the water prese…

Started by:  jean-marc tardif

8 Replies
      April 1, 2019 at 3:21 am It’s shaped like a rust mushroom, exhaust was leaking sea water right on it. I’ll replace both on my next trip to the boat

Last Post by:  jean-marc tardif posted: 3 weeks ago

• How to test ZF marine electric shift solenoid

This topic has 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Luke Nelson 1 month ago

March 22, 2019 at 8:01 am I am wanting to know how to test the electric shift still solenoid to see if it’s bad. I know you can manually engage them by pushing and twisting the red end which I have done and as I was testing one it stopped engaging my forward gear. It worked several times and then stopped working… So I’m wondering if it is now stuck inside somehow and if so how can you unstick one? Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Keith Kochner

3 Replies
      March 25, 2019 at 4:29 pm I may have had a similar issue but was never sure. On the 4th reassembly of the shift block I got the full 24 bar pressure the previous 3 only gave 10 bar. This was after swapping gear boxes after a clutch pack was cooked. We believe it could have been in the shuttle valve at the rear of the block as they were almost impossible to get out. It turned out someone found a new take off, we replace the entire block as no one could give a good answer…

Last Post by:  Luke Nelson posted: 1 month ago

• hydraulic PTO on ZF-63A

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

March 5, 2019 at 5:17 am I am interested in mounting a small hydraulic pump on the back of a ZF-63 gear, never seen a PTO on these gears and curious if it can be done. Also interested in the maximum power one could draw from a PTO on a ZF 63. Thanks, JW

Started by:  Jerry White

3 Replies
      March 8, 2019 at 7:58 am Yes, 1:1 and rotates CCW looking at the PTO, meaning you need a CW pump. Remember, it’s a live PTO so if you got that direction, your system must be designed to accommodate that. 8 GPM at idle speeds is a VERY BIG pump for an SAE A pad.. 8 GPM at 1200 RPM ( where most pumps are rated), may be doable. It’s $700 kit, but looks like something that should be more like 50% of that.. . Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the …

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• QSC 8.3 500 and ZF280-1A Tourque?

This topic has 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 months ago

January 14, 2019 at 5:32 am New here but not to boating and hoping for some help. I am researching my next boat and found a 46″ boat with these engines and gearboxes however looking at the spec sheets the gearbox seems to not handle the max torque of the engine. I am reading max allowed torque on the gearbox is 1100 Nm and the engine deliver up to 1700 Nm. Is this as bad as it looks or is there something to this that I am missing? Looking for my next boat.

Started by:  Michael Jungvid

13 Replies
      January 24, 2019 at 5:58 pm Tell the broker to send some really good pictures of the engine, the gear, the exhaust, the aftercooler and everything else in the engine room so I can see what you are dealing with.. Throw in the helm station(s) too.. He needs to earn his keep.. If you are even considering a purchase of a vessel “remotely” without this most basic info (very good pictures of the mechanical equipment and all of the sub-systems) in front of you,…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 3 months ago

• Twin Disc MG 5050SC oil leak

This topic has 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 months ago

October 15, 2018 at 7:01 pm I have a twin disc MG 5050SC attached to a Cummins 270B in a Nordic Tug. The transmission has been in service for 13 years/3000 hours, and recently developed a leak/small drip from the gasket between the oil pump and the transmission. I have replaced the gasket without effect, even trying various gasket sealers. The leak appears to occur, or get worse, when the transmission is engaged. There is no evidence of cracking on the pump or transmis…

Started by:  Peter Abbott

4 Replies
      January 20, 2019 at 8:36 pm Peter, Glad you stuck with it & followed thru…………………………..I’m especially glad all is solved.. YA DONE A VERY GOOD JOB! Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

• eb15 solenoid plug

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Philip 3 months ago

January 10, 2019 at 2:19 pm i have thorougly checked through your website but still can find a plug/cap with built in wires for the eb15 solenoid. please see posted picture. the plug i found does not have wires. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  jalopez

1 Reply
      January 10, 2019 at 3:43 pm Try this Home » Seaboard Marine Store » Marine Transmission Parts & Documentation » ZF Electronic Shift Solenoid Wire Plug/Cap https://www.sbmar.com/product/zf-electronic-shift-solenoid-wire-cap/

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 3 months ago

• Location of pressure sensor?

This topic has 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 3 months ago

December 21, 2018 at 3:38 pm I have a Twin disc 506 gear, bought the sensor and gauge (thanks Cory!), ran the wires, ready to install. what’s the best location for the sensor? Thank you!

Started by:  donald roth

7 Replies
      January 8, 2019 at 6:42 am donald roth wrote: Do you mean that the venerable Rector Seal #5 is not up to this task? Thanks for the headsup, I don’t need any transmission leaks! Yea, for this high pressure small thread assembly the RS can leak. If the switch ever needs to come out even with the JB weld a 12mm wrench will break the connection and back the switch right out. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design." Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 3 months ago

• zf solenoid wire plug

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 months ago

January 6, 2019 at 3:46 pm where can i find a zf electronic shift solenoid wire plug with built-in wires for the eb15 solenoid? Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  jalopez

1 Reply
      January 6, 2019 at 6:21 pm Lots of stuff on this site.. Just tell me EXACTLY what part you want.. We have it all.. https://www.sbmar.com/articles/zf-shift-solenoid/ Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/ Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

• ZF Hurth 63a Neutral Safety Switch wiring.

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 5 months ago

November 2, 2018 at 9:40 am Hi Guys, Where does the wiring for a Neutral Safety Switch on a ZF Hurth 63a transmission usually go to? It’s botled up to a MerCruiser 350 MPI. Thanks, Pat

Started by:  Patrick Presti

1 Reply
      November 2, 2018 at 1:58 pm Here’s a few shots Rob "Luck is the residue of good design." Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 5 months ago

• twin disc 5061a 1.5 to 1

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 6 months ago

October 2, 2018 at 7:34 am Is a twin disc 5061a 1.5 to 1 strong enough for a cummins 6c diamond 450 with 430 hp thanks me

Started by:  nicholas hill

1 Reply
      October 3, 2018 at 6:44 am Solid gear and is well suited for the 450 Diamond. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 6 months ago

• Checking the fluid level in a ZF63A Gear

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bill Desmarais 6 months ago

September 29, 2018 at 7:47 am Good morning, There’s been lots of discussion on this forum and others about “the best practices” on checking fluid levels in marine transmissions. I have a ZF63A bolted onto the rear end of my 6BTA 370. I changed the fluid and the filter in the gear this past week. There is 257 hrs on both the gear and the 370. I’ve been using ATF in the gear (as specified in ZF63A spec sheet) since new. This recent fluid/filter chang…

Started by:  Bill Desmarais

2 Replies
      October 2, 2018 at 6:17 am Will do…this week ! 25 Terry Jason down east, 370 6BTA CPL 2008 ZF63A gear, 1.75" shaft, 20X19 DQX

Last Post by:  Bill Desmarais posted: 6 months ago

• zf 220A Over dipstick level when filled with recommended amount

This topic has 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 6 months ago

September 23, 2018 at 3:22 am Hi all, thanks for your help in advance – I appreciate it. I have changed the transmission oil in the new boat – ZF MPM IRM 220A serial number 91.7969C. My paperwork calls for 4 litres (4.2 US quart) of fluid, but by 3 litres I’m way past my high mark on the dipstick. Now I have it all in and have run the engine in gear for a couple of minutes the level is reading 6cm (2 3/8 inch) below the level of the top of the dipstick hol…

Started by:  Dan Kealy

9 Replies
      September 30, 2018 at 4:07 am Affirmative on the 22MM drain plug Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 6 months ago

• ZF301A loud whine then no forward or reverse

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 7 months ago

September 24, 2018 at 12:32 pm Running the boat at 2160 RPM’s and port gear started making a whining noise and if the RPM’s changed so did the intensity of the whine. the whine stopped all of a sudden and so did any movement of the port shaft. Oil in gear box is good and is not burnt, no metal or debris in filter. Had a burnt rubber smell in engine room for about 2-3 minutes then it went away – heard no other noise other than the whine, and now there is no o…

Started by:  Mike

1 Reply
      September 24, 2018 at 6:18 pm Look at the pics.. You have Bonded Rubber torsional coupling that has failed completely, and the other is 1/2 thru the complete failure (a few more minutes at medium power should do it) .. That’s what these coupling do..Whine, slip, burn rubber, and finally let go completely.. Welcome to the world of “modern Monkey Motion” torsional couplings You need to pull the gears to “see” what you have.. More that one type f…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 7 months ago

• qsc 8.3 w/ ZF intermittent reverse

This topic has 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Robert Greig 7 months ago

February 22, 2017 at 6:22 pm I would appreciate any help with this problem. I have smart craft electronic controls.  reverse does not initially always engage on port engine when control is put in reverse . If I shift from reverse back to Neutral a couple of times it works. Tried switching solenoids, no difference. If I turn manual override screw under solenoid cover always works. Any tips would be helpful.

Started by:  David

9 Replies
      September 9, 2018 at 7:02 pm Thanks Tony. I do plan to take it apart to get to a final resolution. Giving it a whack was the short term fix when offshore or backing down a fairway to dock. I’ll get a better picture of the configuration on the transmission. Rob

Last Post by:  Robert Greig posted: 7 months ago

• Twin Disc MG5075

This topic has 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Lawrence Ross 7 months ago

August 30, 2018 at 4:07 pm Need Help with what type of Torsional coupler to use with twin disc mg 5072 with a Cummings 480 ce in a motor yacht Mine is going bad and i am trying to decide what to replace it with a centa or a vulkan type I have 5,000 hours on the original 2005 unit now i do not know what is in there have not opened it up from the information i have gotten is looks like it maybe a centa cx109a?? Thanks all Larry Larry

Started by:  Lawrence Ross

9 Replies
      September 8, 2018 at 4:24 am Thanks Tony will do no damage just bad rubber blocks on the non pressure side wounder what they did? the pressure side rubber is very hard will call Centra on Monday Larry

Last Post by:  Lawrence Ross posted: 7 months ago

• Help id transmission (hopefully)

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Shawn 7 months ago

August 20, 2018 at 8:49 am Trying to get better pictures but for now this is what I have. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Shawn

5 Replies
      September 4, 2018 at 6:15 pm I have it and am able to run it now, but prop seems too big maybe. I had a 2:1 before, was kind of hoping it was a 1.75:1 and I’d be ok.

Last Post by:  Shawn posted: 7 months ago

• ZF280A- topping up Transmission Oil.

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 7 months ago

September 2, 2018 at 9:33 pm Change to a New ZF-280A since 6 years ago. Only recently 2 years ago start topping up Transmission gear oil and frequency seem to get shorter with every Fuel top up. Need to top up Transmission oil too. What does it tell us ? lawrento

Started by:  Lau Fook Gah

1 Reply
      September 3, 2018 at 12:15 pm ENGINE HOURS vs. adding 8 -16 ounces of oil?? Please, Real numbers–One vs the other. Post a good picture of the bilge area under the engine & gear Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/ Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 7 months ago

Viewing 20 topics - 1 through 20 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.