This forum contains 93 topics and 418 replies, and was last updated by  Josh Michels 2 hours ago.

Viewing 20 topics - 1 through 20 (of 93 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • 2004 ZF Transmission Oil Analysis

This topic has 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Josh Michels 2 hours ago

October 18, 2019 at 6:21 pm In process of purchasing a boat with these transmissions bolted up to Cummins 6CTA 8.3’s . The Oil analysis did not come back so great but the mechanics believe the fluid has never been serviced and that is why. It showed no issues of functioning when used ironically. No slippage. Let me know what you think? Is this normal with no fluid change and 635 hours or so? We changed fluids and are going to retest in 10 hours. 03 Sea Ray 390 MY At…

Started by:  Josh Michels

13 Replies
      October 20, 2019 at 6:53 pm 1) ok got it. So be on the look out and check it before it fails. Got it. Thanks for heads up. 2) Yes 480 Ce engines. 6CTA. I saw and read the article on re propping and fuel burn on the 450 versus 480 CE. Prop for 450 Curve. Got it. Once we actually get to sea trial I will be doing that. I just need to get past this initial issue or non issue with the oil samples that threw up red flags everything. I want to make sure engines internally are n…

Last Post by:  Josh Michels posted: 2 hours ago

• Water in Transmission after estuary trial

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 weeks ago

September 28, 2019 at 11:25 pm Tony et al, Appreciate all the info I have been able to glean from your site as I have been trying to get my Strike 26 rehab back in the water. Needless to say your horror stories re wet exhaust elbows are very believable. The OEM Nippon Denso starter on this factory recon 6BT w only 52 hours had been at least partially(?) submerged at some point while the boat languished unused and in the water for 3, 4, or ? years. Replaced bendix clutch asse…

Started by:  john hutchings

1 Reply
      September 29, 2019 at 8:53 am #1———-Bypass the oil cooler — Just put the 2 oil lines together #2———Fill the gear with 50-50 #2 diesel & 15-40, ATF or 30 wt.. Does not matter at this point………..Run for a few minutes at the dock , in & out of gear- drain and do that 3-4 times.. #3– fill with new oil, drive around the harbor for 15 minutes–low RPM’s –Run around until the gear is a tad t…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 3 weeks ago

• ZF transmission cooler overheat alarm

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 weeks ago

September 25, 2019 at 8:53 pm Hello. We were returning on a cruise and got an audible gear cooler over temp alarm on port eng. Gear oil temp was at around 220 deg. Shut down engine let it cool. Checked fluid level which looked ok. Dipstick not melted or deformed. Ran boat home at reduced speed with port gear temp in the 175-188 deg range. Transmission shifts smoothly, no noise, not hot to the touch. However, shaft is turning slowly in neutral. Mechanic inspected gear cooler…

Started by:  marks737

1 Reply
      September 26, 2019 at 6:03 am Start with this: 1) Exactly model of the transmission 2) 4-5 pictures of the gear showing all–top, sides and from the back looking fwd and general access of the engine / gear and room around it 3) Exact oil type and last proper service per ZF guidelines 4) Some history of past operation 5) Picture of the gauge or display that gave you this alarm 6) Dragging in neutral– Explain better. shaft is turning fwd or rev at the dock? …

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 3 weeks ago

• SMX transmission alarm switch

This topic has 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Corey Schmidt 3 weeks ago

August 5, 2019 at 10:45 am I don’t know if it’s just me but I’ve had 4 or 5 of these fail now on different engines and transmission setups. Maybe I need to replace them as a “maintenance” item every year? Some start to leak out of where the adjustment screw is and this latest one seems to be leaking from the metal area. If for some reason my alarm panel or gauge wasn’t working I probably would have burnt the transmission up and that …

Started by:  Shawn

7 Replies
      September 24, 2019 at 3:19 pm Shawn, when did you purchase those switches from us and about how many did you purchase? The switch in the pics you provided appears to be over 2-3 years old? Corey Schmidt | VP, Operations | Seaboard Marine, Inc.

Last Post by:  Corey Schmidt posted: 3 weeks ago

• Zf220a

This topic has 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Fireisland1 1 month ago

September 10, 2019 at 8:30 am I am getting ready to install my 6bta 300 with zf220a. I am wanting to replace the seals and address what appears to be a minor leak between the casing pieces. The shop wants ~1100$ to do the job. Is this something that I can do myself if I am mechanically inclined? Are there any special tools specific to the zf I would need or would I be able to get it done with the mechanics tools I have?

Started by:  Andrew Piipponen

8 Replies
      September 19, 2019 at 7:51 pm All your force is being used up by the puller bending. You are past it’s limit. Buy a better puller .

Last Post by:  Fireisland1 posted: 1 month ago

• ZF 220 TRANSMISSION – Neutral still creeps ahead

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

August 25, 2019 at 3:51 pm After the engine has been used for a while, and placing the vessel in neutral the boat creeps forward. It does not creep as if it was in gear at idle, much slower, but still goes forward. We have an electronic shifter. I did see a wire labeled Reverse Gear not attached, but I do not see where this might go. I do not have a wiring Schematic. Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated. Thank You Barry

Started by:  Barry

1 Reply
      August 26, 2019 at 8:24 pm Have you “looked at the prop shaft” during “this mode” and see that it is indeed rotating forward? Last time you changed the oil? Last time you removed the suction screen filter and cleaned it? Post a clear and in-focus picture on the transmission showing all. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Leaky ZF 220VLD

This topic has 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Anthony De Yurre 1 month ago

November 3, 2016 at 3:00 pm Hey Guys, Have leaky transmission. Appears to be coming from the engine side of the tranny above the prop shaft. Think its coming from tranny seal at engine coupling shaft and dripping down and leaking between transmission and engine flywheel housing. Does this make sense? Im not a transmission guy but don’t have any other ideas on where it would be coming from. Front of tranny is dry and all the hoses for cooler and drain line all seem to…

Started by:  David Diener

13 Replies
      August 22, 2019 at 11:03 am I know this is an old thread but I have a 2001 Sea Ray Sundancer with Cummins 6CTA8.3 450 Diamond (serials 45975708 and 45980411) mated to a ZF V-Drive transmission. I started getting a leak right around where the housing for the transmission is mated to the engine. Seems like a similar issue to the one described in this thread. I have some rust on the underside of the engine where the engine and housing is attached and I imagine the rust has…

Last Post by:  Anthony De Yurre posted: 1 month ago

• ZF tranny dipstick

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 months ago

August 14, 2019 at 7:11 am On a ZF 80-1a transmission, what volume of fluid is represented between the low mark and high mark on the dipstick? In other words, if it’s on the low mark, how much fluid is needed to reach the high mark? Thanks WSBeach

Started by:  John Larson

1 Reply
      August 14, 2019 at 2:05 pm Don’t know if you can get a 100% solid answer on this other than measuring it yourself by starting at the low mark and noting what it takes to reach the high mark. FYI – not recommended to run engine oil or gear oil/fluid at high marks considering the potential for pitch and roll. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 months ago

• Vacuum or over pressure while unscrewing dipstick ZF80A

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 months ago

August 12, 2019 at 3:03 pm Went to check transmission fluid level today – Haven’t been out much in the last two months so it’s been a while, but only about 10 engine hours worth of time has passed. When I unscrewed the dipstick there was either a vacuum sucking, or over pressure blowing (couldn’t tell, I’m at almost full arm length reaching the stick) sound. Both levels were fine. Any idea what’s up? I can’t remember hearing th…

Started by:  Paul Hoffman

3 Replies
      August 13, 2019 at 4:17 pm Well said, enjoy Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 months ago

• 2004 Cummins 6BT5.9 w/ ZF 63A transmission 4000 hrs maint. parts

This topic has 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Corey Schmidt 2 months ago

August 6, 2019 at 11:51 am 2004 Cummins 6BT5.9 with ZF 63A transmission 4000 hours maintenance parts Good morning all, I am purchasing a trawler with this combo and the pre-purchase survey is Friday. The engine and transmission are both very clean. I have an engine survey being done as well. The engine has had valve and turbo service in the last two years, about 1000 hours ago. Should I replace the turbo as a preventative measure? Injectors? I will definitely order a new…

Started by:  Todd Smith

4 Replies
      August 7, 2019 at 9:35 am Todd, Let’s slow down here…. simple “will it fit” questions are easy for us but things like pre-purchase assessments, maintenance intervals, running gear assessments, etc. can be lengthy and complicated to answer and need to be split up to be addressed effectively. We’re not trying to pass you off by any means but cannot always give everyone the “one-on-one” guidance they want and still run a day-to-day …

Last Post by:  Corey Schmidt posted: 2 months ago

• Convert Manual Shift to Electronic on Transmission

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Shawn 2 months ago

July 13, 2019 at 8:47 am Hello I currently have a 2000 31 open Tiara with Cummns 5.9 in it. It has a Zf Transmission sure what model (sorry I am in Italy at the moment) Is it possible to change from the manual shift valve to an electronic solenoid type valve? I know I can get actuators to do this but I am weighing the cost options between either buying a two actuator per side system vs making this change if possible . I am going to add our joystick to the boat either w…

Started by:  Bill Karmis

4 Replies
      August 6, 2019 at 11:47 am I switched from electronic to manual and have one block left, probably way cheaper than what ZF wants. Oops mine weren’t zf220’s.

Last Post by:  Shawn posted: 2 months ago

• ZF80A Leak from Plug on Mechanical Selector

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by michael sanchez 2 months ago

August 3, 2019 at 3:17 am Hello Tony/All, Found ATF fluid in my bilge and traced the leak to a plug on the rear of the mechanical selector on our ZF80A. See attached photos and diagram. It appears that the plug is pressed in. Does anyone have an experience with a similar leak, how to remove the plug and whether the new plug can be tapped with hand tools. Thanks in advance. Sea Vee 290i ('04) 6LYA 370 Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  michael sanchez

3 Replies
      August 6, 2019 at 11:05 am I think you nailed it Rob. I started the motor again and the leak seems to be coming from the hex plug. Much appreciated. Sea Vee 290i ('04) 6LYA 370

Last Post by:  michael sanchez posted: 2 months ago

• Cable Shift Bracket for ZF 301 PL

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bryan Hughes 2 months ago

July 30, 2019 at 8:50 am Hello all – is there a cable shift bracket that is mountable on my ZF 301 PL gear? If so, any direction on product name or link where to buy is greatly appreciated. Hoping sbmar has something! I’ve attached a picture of the gear, just to make sure I have the model correct. The shift cable in the pic is just sitting limp, it was mounted on a bracket that was attached to that grey bulkhead wall in lower right of picture. I think …

Started by:  Bryan Hughes

2 Replies
      July 31, 2019 at 10:18 am Thanks for your reply Tony! I’m thinking i’ll need to make something at a machine shop. Unlikely to find anything off the shelf that naturally fits.

Last Post by:  Bryan Hughes posted: 2 months ago

• Twin Disc or ZF gear in new repower?

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 months ago

July 17, 2019 at 7:05 am Hello Tony, Kicking around a repower of a used lobster boat. Existing power plant is a 99 Deere 6068 225 hp rated @ 2600. Gear tag is unreadable but I believe is a Twin Disk 2:1, 1.75″ shaft swinging a 24X24 four blade. Proposed repower is a QSB 5.9 480. The gear replacement is up for discussion. I prefer to keep the engine angle the same, so I figure maybe a TD5075SC or 5075A 2.88:1 “or some other gear” swinging a 26X? prop. …

Started by:  Bill Desmarais

1 Reply
      July 27, 2019 at 9:23 am Bill, You need to ID the gear you have now if you want to select something that will actually FIT the boat and clear the hull.. Most all of these hulls set the shaft in such a way as you have do some homework to see what will fit and clear the bilge roll/hull. Look at the picture– Get your camera behind the gear –Lay the camera on the shaft and shoot forward.. A good picture from that angle will let me ID what you have now.. Try …

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 months ago

• Dripless shaft turning in current

This topic has 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bill Desmarais 3 months ago

May 16, 2019 at 1:46 pm Launched my boat yesterday with no issues. A few hours later, the current in my river was at mid-tide and flows extremely fast. I was in the engine room and the starboard shaft started rotating and then eventually the port shaft. Boat is a 2005 Luhrs 36 open with twin cummins 6c 8.3’s with hydraulic transmissions and dripless shaft seals. This is the the third year with the boat and I do not recall the shafts ever turning in current. Mind …

Started by:  Dave Galehouse

3 Replies
      July 17, 2019 at 6:32 am Rob, Dave’s boat and mine are docked on the Merrimack River, Newburyport/Salisbury Mass. Dave, I have a PSS shaft seal. Prop shaft spins with the tide in my boat. No issues with the shaft seal. I was towed in on July 3rd, shaft must have been spinning a good 8 knots on the tow in with out going tide. I felt the shaft seal with my hand from time to time being towed. No issue with heat with the tow in. Since then, engine fuel leak fixed, 5-6…

Last Post by:  Bill Desmarais posted: 3 months ago

• ZF301 oil leak

This topic has 1 reply, has 1 voices, and was last updated by Donal McCrohan 3 months ago

July 10, 2019 at 3:28 am Hi, In May 2018 I re-engine with an Iveco NEF/ZF301 combination. Last weekend I noticed a slight oil leak from the gearbox. At first I thought it was from a hose but on closer inspection it looks like it is coming from the gear change shaft on the valve chest and dripping on the hose. I apologise for the poor quality of the picture but hope to get some clearer ones this afternoon and will then post them here also. I have spoken with the agent wh…

Started by:  Donal McCrohan

1 Reply
      July 10, 2019 at 6:39 am All, Hopefully some clearer picture this time. Look very like the gear change shaft seal is the issue. Any opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks Donal Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Donal McCrohan posted: 3 months ago

• TD 5065 Trans

This topic has 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Anthoni Lightbourne 4 months ago

April 25, 2017 at 6:48 pm Hi everyone. Every year I’m having to change these damper plates. I’ve come to the conclusion that these gears are too light for my application on a QSB 5.9 with max RPM 2650 on my boat. Are there a heavier duty plates available or should i have to upgrade to a heavier duyy trans like the 5075? Attached is a pic of my recent change of plate. 1.72:1 reduction How do the ZF boxes compare to the TD? Attachments:You must be logged in to …

Started by:  Anthoni Lightbourne

10 Replies
      June 19, 2019 at 9:10 am Good Day guys, Just thought I’d resurrect this post. We’ve tried the Vulkan torsion coupler which is said to be far better than the rest stated. However we get a deep rattle noise when installed. So I’m looking for a heavier duty CFR 178 coupling rubbers. Any help greatly appreciated. Regards, Anthoni

Last Post by:  Anthoni Lightbourne posted: 4 months ago

• ZF Gear Low Pressure Sensor/Alarm Location

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 4 months ago

June 17, 2019 at 5:48 pm I would like to install the SMX Gear Low Oil Pressure Alarm Switches on my ZF 220A transmissions. Where is the best location to install them. I see two locations on your web-site from pressure sensing of the transmission/gear pressure gauges/sensors (see attached pictures).

Started by:  Patrick Mullen

5 Replies
      June 18, 2019 at 6:05 am If you use both stations regularly than you should have alarms at both. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 4 months ago

• ZF 280-1

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 4 months ago

May 27, 2019 at 8:44 am Hello Am from saudi arabia iwant to change the oil what is the alternative foe Sae 30 not found in our country ZF 280-1

Started by:  roaa.zailaie

1 Reply
      May 27, 2019 at 9:58 am Use a heavy duty SAE 15W-40 diesel engine oil.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 4 months ago

• transmission fluid leaking from filter cap

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 4 months ago

May 24, 2019 at 9:31 am Hi ! I have two 1991 Hurth ZF 63A in my Wellcraft 33 Sports bridge on the back of 7.4 Bluewaters. I’ve tried tightening the filter covers that have large O-rings on them. I cleaned them good, and they still leak once and a while, making a mess in the bilge and oil sox. I’ve just ordered two new filters and O-rings, and will try that. Just not sure why it keeps happening !!???? Help ! Bob – In Boston ! Captain: Robert Farley

Started by:  Bob Farley

1 Reply
      May 25, 2019 at 7:34 am Could you be over filling and causing excess pressures.. Run at the low mark on the dip stick.. How to properly read your dip stick in of this site.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 4 months ago

Viewing 20 topics - 1 through 20 (of 93 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.