• Creator
    Topic

Steve
    Participant

I have 1998 Cummins 6BTA coupled to a Hurth V-Drive Model HSW 800 V1-2.0 with the stock oil cooler.

I maintain the raw water system myself making sure aftercooler and heat exchanger are cleaned every 3 years. I did remove the oil cooler a couple years ago and cleaned and rigged up a pressure test to look for any leaks between the raw water side and oil side and it seemed ok.Ā 

Oil level was ok. But when I changed the V-drive Hydrolic oil this time for the winter, I noticed that it was unusually milky. I have an oil change pump setup that draws from the bottom drain and I’m able to get most of the 2 gallon capacity but I suspect some is left behind.

I haven’t experienced any issues “yet” but wanted to ask the forum if I should give focus to the oil cooler or something else. If the oil cooler had a leak, I would think that the pressurized tranny oil would blow out though the oil cooler into the raw water and out the exhaust rather quickly. Other than the oil cooler what else should I give focus to. Are there other seals or gaskets that I should check to prevent a costly disaster. Any further insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Steve
    Participant

Looks a new oil cooler is in my future. For what ever reason I was thinking that the oil pressure was higher than the raw water pressure.Ā 

I have an early 6BTA 370 with a 3x5x10 OAL 1.5″ hose. I see that there are 2 options. Is the only difference in the black one pictured is that it has pencil zincs on the ends?Ā 

As far as flushing, and pardon my ignorance, I see where you mention the use SAE 10 or 20W to do this. Are we talking regular motor oil? Can you be more specific. My tranny normally takes DexIII Hydrolic oil.

Thanks

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Your gear oil cooler in over 30 yrs old ?

You have milky oil in the gear?

The oil pressure in your cooling circuit on this particular gear averages about 5-20 PSI depending on RPM

The seawater PSI in your engines cooling system can easily exceed that at cruising RPM’s at times

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thing about my answer

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.