• Creator
    Topic

Henry Martin WILSON
    Participant
    Vessel Name: The Journey II
    Engines: 6BTA

I have a Meridian 408 with 6BTA Diamond Series engines (2004 year model). When I pulled into my slip six weeks ago, I had 20 PSI of oil pressure on my starboard engine at idle before I shut it down (I always keep records). When I started the engine for the first time yesterday, the gauge showed zero oil pressure and the alarm continued to sound so I shut it down. Since the oil pressure gauge and the alarm are on two separate senders, I have to assume I have no oil pressure. The oil level is good.

Any ideas on possible causes? Where is the oil pressure regulator located? Wondering if it could be stuck open. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Martin

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David Wesner
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Monarch

where are you pulling the oil pressure from (mechanical gauge). Try another gauge/verify?

Henry Martin WILSON
    Participant
    Vessel Name: The Journey II

I installed a mechanical tach. Verified that there is no oil pressure. The needle did not wiggle, and no oil entered the pressure tube. Someone suggested that the oil pump drive could have sheared, is that som000ething that happens? I’ve never heard of that. Any suggestions welcomed.

Thanks,

Martin0

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Are you sure the alarm and the gauge are totally independent of one another? Ā Remember Meridian did the instrumentation their way, not Cummins way. Put a mechanical gauge on the engine. Plenty of posts here on that and a kit is available in the Seaboard Store.Ā 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.