This forum contains 158 topics and 974 replies, and was last updated by  David Wesner 37 minutes ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 159 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 1 year ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 1 year ago

• Yanmar 4lh- STP hydrolock?

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by David Wesner 37 minutes ago

October 15, 2018 at 9:33 am Good afternoon gents and thanks for the box of goodies I purchased in August.(Engine alarms and fuel filtration kits) I sucked up debris into my poorly designed intake(Mainship Pilot 34′) and had an overheat back in May. I corrected the intake problem and the engine ran fine all year. Last week while trying to start stbd. engine, it would not start. I figured low battery, went away for a week and checked it yesterday and same situation. I …

Started by:  Joseph Sesack

1 Reply
      October 15, 2018 at 12:14 pm how did you try to bar the engine over? I’ve used the alternator nut in the past. Do you have a picture of the exhaust design? D

Last Post by:  David Wesner posted: 37 minutes ago

• Is fresh water flushing worthwhile? 1 2 3

This topic has 50 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Mike Mason 2 days ago

January 19, 2017 at 8:08 am Years ago, following Tony’s recommendation, I hooked up fresh water flush fittings to my engine’s strainer and started flushing religiously. Within less than a year I noticed that the engine zincs were holding up much better; in fact after three years they are still going strong. I also believed that I was reducing corrosion on my raw water metal components, particularly the after cooler. Tony has implied that you can double the inte…

Started by:  David Marchand

50 Replies
      October 13, 2018 at 8:27 am Our system is very simple. We used the port on the water pump after the impeller. From there we run a hose to each port and starboard lazarette At the hose end we have a simple pvc shut off and a garden hose hook up. After each use, with engines off, we hook up dock water and let it flow. Have to make sure your exhaust is set up for this as you don’t want the water to sit or backflow from the exhaust elbow. Also, no lift mufflers. …

Last Post by:  Mike Mason posted: 2 days ago

• Squeeze Bulb Installation

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 4 days ago

October 9, 2018 at 3:03 pm Have ordered and received the Seaboard Squeeze Bulb Priming Kit. Would prefer to install between tank and the Racor off engine filters. I have previously installed RK19671 Vacuum Gauges on the Racors. Will having positive pressure in the Racor when priming with the squeeze bulb do damage to the gauges? Thanks Orin Guidry

Started by:  Orin Guidry

2 Replies
      October 10, 2018 at 7:20 pm No, it will not hurt your vac gauges and as Rob said, before the filter is the preferred location. It will make your life easy. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 4 days ago

• Newly Installed Fresh Water Flush System

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Mike Mason 4 days ago

October 6, 2018 at 3:48 pm I just finished installing a fresh water flush system on my boat (with QSC’s). Since this topic seems to generate a fair amount of interest I thought I’d post a few pics of my setup and describe the process I use in the event someone might find it to be useful. No magic here as this is similar to what some others have done, and it’s quick and simple. – I use my cockpit bait tank as a water reservoir and allow the engines to dra…

Started by:  Kraig Kilger

4 Replies
      October 10, 2018 at 5:48 pm Nice. I bought our boat from Dana.

Last Post by:  Mike Mason posted: 4 days ago

• Trying to find the Proper propping

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Steve Lewis 1 week ago

August 21, 2018 at 6:49 am I have a 2007 460 Cruiser Yacht with D6 Volvo engines. After talking to my friend about Tony’s article on proper propping you boat and reading it I have now know that my boat has never had the proper props on it. My boat was test weight was about 30k pounds when new. I would guess its weight is about 31k now. I have 23x31x2 props on it. The top end RPM’s about 3550 to 3600. My bottom was dirty and I was getting 3150 rpms top en…

Started by:  Russell Burris

2 Replies
      October 4, 2018 at 1:41 pm Russ, Stay with me on this as I am about to hold forth on quite a few ideas but they all converge on what you are going for….. Ideal conditions for operating your boat long term within operating specifications. As Tony points out, and has written about extensively, proper loading of the propellers is the ultimate goal. Believe what he has written back to you! That also means looking at a series of operational conditions. In no parti…

Last Post by:  Steve Lewis posted: 1 week ago

• Onan Generator 11.5kw

This topic has 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by firehoser75 2 weeks ago

September 17, 2018 at 2:58 pm 11.5MDKAW-2323 2004 Boat build I am just arriving back from another amazing weekend trip, About 30 minutes out from our home marina a guest asked if we could fire the generator to recharge some phones. I happily fired her up and it ran until we arrived at our dock. I began closing up the bridge and when I flipped off all the lights I noticed a red glow from under the dash. I don’t recall a light being down there, I look under the dash and find…

Started by:  Brad Fausett

3 Replies
      September 30, 2018 at 12:39 pm Brad, In your hose separation, the raw water flow sensor would still have sensed flow, as the hose separated downstream of the sensor. While you are looking at your gen set, change out the fore mentioned flow sensor as it shows signs of corrosion. On mine, it literally fell off as the body was so corroded. Luckily this happened while I was doing maintenance last winter. As Rob stated, you still should have had 2 alarms (sources of shutdown) bein…

Last Post by:  firehoser75 posted: 2 weeks ago

• Cold weather hard stand

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Scotth 2 weeks ago

September 27, 2018 at 9:47 pm Hi All, What are the side affects of using / storing a boat on the 75 degree contour? It would get used in the warmer months( when its not frozen) and then have all the fluids drained ect prior to winter storage. Is there any side affects from storing a boat in well below freezing for 8 months a year? More engine wise, or would a couple of winters take the life of a engine? Thanks Luke

Started by:  Luke Nelson

5 Replies
      September 28, 2018 at 5:56 pm That was about the only place I figured it would be below freezing for so long!

Last Post by:  Scotth posted: 2 weeks ago

• Fuel shutoff solenoid problem

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by henry pounds 2 weeks ago

September 25, 2018 at 1:39 pm I changed the key ignition switches on our 43 ft Bayliner (twin Cummins diesels) because I thought one of them wasn’t working. What a mistake. They seemed to work fine but after about 10 minutes both engines died. The fuel shutoff solenoids were both burned out according to the mechanic who looked at the boat but he looked at the switches I installed and said that they couldn’t have been the cause. I don’t want to replace t…

Started by:  henry pounds

2 Replies
      September 26, 2018 at 12:16 pm Thank you Mr. Schmidt. The logical question is could the new ignition switches I installed have caused the solenoids to stay in the crank position thus causing them to burn out? Whatever the cause was, it resulted in the wiring being melted together causing the system to short so could the solenoids possibly still be OK? I’m going to try to do the test you suggested and find out. Henrylbs

Last Post by:  henry pounds posted: 2 weeks ago

• Epoxy and Rectorseal #5

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Will Giese 2 weeks ago

September 24, 2018 at 10:32 am Yes, I’ve read Tony’s sealant tips about NPT, SAE and push lock connectors. Epoxy and Rectorseal #5 are in hand. The part I’d like clarification/advice on – epoxy on NPT threads. Specifically, what is the best practice on selecting which NPT threads should have it as opposed to Rectorseal? I’m about to undertake a complete replumbing of my fuel system, with the exception of the return line. I’m replacing every…

Started by:  Will Giese

2 Replies
      September 24, 2018 at 7:53 pm Thanks, Rob – I’ll fetch some Tru-Blu. I’ll try it everywhere first, but I do have a couple joints that may need epoxy for the reason you mentioned – orientation. Seems like there’s always that valve or elbow that feels too loose when oriented correctly, but too tight to get another turn out of.

Last Post by:  Will Giese posted: 2 weeks ago

• Remote oil and fuel filters/manifolds – Safe?

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bill Desmarais 3 weeks ago

September 23, 2018 at 11:58 am Watching some engine maintenance/troubleshooting Youtube videos I’ve become jealous of a couple of things. One – man, some folks have big engine rooms – they can easily get to both sides of their engines. I have to lay/crawl between the fuel tank and the engine to get to the outboard side of the engine (can’t be done with a hot engine). Two – Saw an engine room that had a fuel system management manifold. The man…

Started by:  Paul Hoffman

2 Replies
      September 23, 2018 at 6:37 pm I had remote oil and fuel filters on the original 1996 6BTA 370s in the 31 Blackfin Combi. same deal…had to be the size of an eight year old hanging upside down to do any work on the outside of either engine. Does make changing filters a breeze. Remote fuel on the Port engine and remote oil on the Starboard. One of each on the correct engine puts all the filters in between the engines. I bought the boat in 2008…put about 100 hrs on …

Last Post by:  Bill Desmarais posted: 3 weeks ago

• Documentation

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by William Walter 3 weeks ago

September 13, 2018 at 2:46 pm I know it’s not the usual kind of question for this web site but I do appreciate the wealth of knowledge in all areas on this site.I just received my documentation application for next year.ln years past it was always free but now the fee is 26 dollars.my boat is registered in New York with all the taxes paid and I believe that’s all most law enforcement requires. I believe if the boat is documented you don’t have to put regist…

Started by:  William Walter

3 Replies
      September 20, 2018 at 3:43 pm Heard Hemingway did that in WW 2. Took pillar out hunting for subs.Do not know if he got the call or was just into it. Maybe was just something to justify fishing during the war. Thanks for the info..Bill

Last Post by:  William Walter posted: 3 weeks ago

• Jog Steering

This topic has 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Corey Schmidt 3 weeks ago

September 18, 2018 at 5:01 pm My off season project is to install jog steering in my Downeaster. I looked at Tony’s set up . I talked to Kobelt and they suggested a continuous duty CPU-100 pump. The math would give me a 4 sec. full stroke with that pump. I think this might be a better choice then a reversible pump. I’m aware the amp draw is higher but I can handle that. I do not have auto pilot and do not want it at this point. Any thoughts on this would help. The pum…

Started by:  Fireisland1

7 Replies
      September 20, 2018 at 9:08 am From what I can see, that is a very heavy duty adjustable pump that will serve you well… everything is built in to the design including solenoid control, passive steering input and power out. I think you will be very happy with it. Never used one yet, but we may have to add that pump series to our lineup! Corey Schmidt VP, Operations Seaboard Marine, Inc. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Corey Schmidt posted: 3 weeks ago

• Proper Loading of a QSM11-715

This topic has 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 3 weeks ago

September 18, 2018 at 6:18 am Hello forum members. I am new to the forum but have been reading Tony’s Tips for a couple of years now. I sent him an email yesterday directly and he replied and wrote that instead of emailing him I should post in the forum for all to see. So here is the post and it appears I have been learning……. My wife and I are looking at cruising the great loop in the future and the Back Cove 41 looks like a nice candidate for what my w…

Started by:  Steve Lewis

6 Replies
      September 19, 2018 at 12:08 pm Corey Schmidt wrote: It still amazes me that boat builders pay NO ATTENTION to the prop demand curves for these engines when choosing and installing them… And don’t forget about safe exhaust systems, they fall into the same black hole with most builders.. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 3 weeks ago

• Magnetic switch replacement

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

September 8, 2018 at 9:40 pm Hello again, Just about to start to upgrade the electrical system on both the 6BTA ‘s Just wondering if the attached pics are the same switches Cheers and beers Patto Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Patto

1 Reply
      September 9, 2018 at 10:43 am I would guess that the old one works (was not original) the same as the style Cummins uses these days. So, yes would be the answer.. Test them so you understand how they work.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/ Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Qsc660 hobafter cooler service

This topic has 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Philip 1 month ago

August 27, 2018 at 2:06 pm Have a pair that need service. I can’t find much info on servicing them. Removing them looks like another kick in the nuts to the engineers at cummins. Not the greatest access on the port side. Can this be done in place relitivly easy? Any tips would be great.

Started by:  john

5 Replies
      August 28, 2018 at 11:04 am Unfortunately you can’t get the bundle out without removing the entire assembly. Yes there is some extra steps to remove the fuel/gear cooler to get to the aftercooler mounting bolts. Remove the seawater plumbing tubes from the gear/fuel cooler but not the oil lines. Then just remove the fuel/gear cooler mount bolts (hint – there should be 9 bolts) and let it drop down so you have access to the aftercooler mounting bolts. Make sure tomp…

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 1 month ago

• Re-powering a Sportfisher Newbie Help

This topic has 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Giles Sankey 1 month ago

August 20, 2018 at 10:25 am This forum site seems to the most knowledgeable group in my area (from Simi Valley). I am in the market for a used Sportfisher. Some years ago I had a 30′ Carver with gassers, and then a 28′ Tollycraft with gassers also. Not going that route again. They were very unreliable, and I purchased with problems. I am looking for advice how to proceed with purchasing this time. I would like to purchase a used Sportfisher for a great deal be…

Started by:  Giles Sankey

10 Replies
      August 22, 2018 at 3:30 pm I am still researching many options. I have found a boat which looks to be in excellent condition but needs the 318s rebuilt. Wondering now what that cost could be. I totally understand the 1/3 extra rule, and I have budgeted for that cost and then some. Gilez

Last Post by:  Giles Sankey posted: 1 month ago

• Fleetguard on-engine filter – 6 CTA-M3

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

August 14, 2018 at 9:10 pm Hello everyone I have fuel filtration as per Tony’s recommendation, FS19513 – FS1000 on engine fs1280. is there a finer micron filter that is plug and play onto the existing 1280filter head spud threads ? Is it necessary to go finer micron on that last chance filter? i have had this filtration since 60 hours, 2010 with 1800hrs currently and she runs sweet as a nut, no smoke. ive always wondered if having the bulk kn… Thanks.

Started by:  kullboys boys

1 Reply
      August 18, 2018 at 5:08 pm There is really no practical reason to upgrade the FS1280 unless you are having issues with some of the additives out there that will create “a jelly like stuff” in the tanks that can go thru filters with micron rating greater than 4-5 Mic.. I’ve seen it twice now and I am trying to put 2+2 together.. If you wanted to go to the FF5488 (Last chance common rail engine filter used on the “Q” engines), you have to ch…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Qsb 380 problem sort of.

This topic has 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by john 2 months ago

August 3, 2018 at 3:11 pm Ok so I get a call today from the owner of a boat I work on. Said he had lost power lots of black smoke and shut the starboard engine down because of the problem. I’m not around so he had someone look at the engine. Seemed like the turbo looked a little oily is how he described it. Turbo was free and turned free. Took the boat out and it ran great and 2900 rpm with no smoke. Any ideas?

Started by:  john

6 Replies
      August 14, 2018 at 4:32 pm Take a pic of the ecm and that is about all you Will get. You cannot see the pump. The pump sits right behind the computer. The older vintage qsb pumps were not that good. If you have one from what I understand it’s only a matter of time. Very good job of making it in usable and hard to get att to replace. About as hard as you could think of. Brilliant

Last Post by:  john posted: 2 months ago

• QSM11 issues

This topic has 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Tom Mann 2 months ago

October 16, 2017 at 8:34 am Hello all, I have a pair of 2004 QSM11’s recently the starboard side engine is burning a little more fuel and running 3-5 degrees hotter and 50-70 RPM’S behind the port engine. Subsequently I cannot hit 2340 at WOT. Previously both engine had no problem hitting 2340. My fuel filters, both the Racors (900’s) and the FS1009 were changed at 1180 hr, currently the engines have 1293 hrs. The bottom cleaned and props checked in th…

Started by:  Tom Mann

9 Replies
      August 14, 2018 at 8:18 am Hi, After propping down from 35” to 33” and retuning and balancing the props I have experienced some changes which I’ll post here. The port and starboard engines are running closer temps at 1820 RPM cruise and 23 MPH speed: Temps @ 163p / 165s GPH 17.6p / 18.9s The engines are running better than before at all RPMs and make rated RPM of 2300 on both with WOT of 2360p / 2330s. Tony, in answering your response. Yes, I did repitch my props an…

Last Post by:  Tom Mann posted: 2 months ago

• Throttle and shifter hydraulic system – unknowns

This topic has 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by glenn111 2 months ago

August 4, 2018 at 2:00 pm Pic is of ‘hydraulic’ reservoir/tank next to diesel generators fuel filter – aft stbd bulkhead, engine compartment of a 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA. Google search has me thinking it’s a hynautic brand hydraulic engine control – or something like that?? While I haven’t completely traced them yet, I believe the tank ‘outputs’ go to throttle/transmission and the ‘inputs’ come from helm throttle …

Started by:  Paul Hoffman

5 Replies
      August 5, 2018 at 4:35 pm Yes, that reservoir is for throttle and shifter. Steering has it’s own reservoir up at the helm by the steering wheel. Suggest to add fluid and air pressure to what is shown in your pic. Might have to “bleed’ the lines if have air trapped in the hydraulic hoses. I have the original manual for it if you need specific info. Probably on-line also. Good luck.

Last Post by:  glenn111 posted: 2 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 159 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.