This forum contains 143 topics and 911 replies, and was last updated by  kullboys boys 1 day ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 144 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 1 year ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      Reply #12 June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 1 year ago

• Fleetguard on-engine filter – 6 CTA-M3

This topic has 0 replies, has 1 voices, and was last updated by kullboys boys 1 day ago

August 14, 2018 at 9:10 pm Hello everyone I have fuel filtration as per Tony’s recommendation, FS19513 – FS1000 on engine fs1280. is there a finer micron filter that is plug and play onto the existing 1280filter head spud threads ? Is it necessary to go finer micron on that last chance filter? i have had this filtration since 60 hours, 2010 with 1800hrs currently and she runs sweet as a nut, no smoke. ive always wondered if having the bulk kn… Thanks.

Started by:  kullboys boys

0 Replies
      Reply #0 August 14, 2018 at 9:10 pm Hello everyone I have fuel filtration as per Tony’s recommendation, FS19513 – FS1000 on engine fs1280. is there a finer micron filter that is plug and play onto the existing 1280filter head spud threads ? Is it necessary to go finer micron on that last chance filter? i have had this filtration since 60 hours, 2010 with 1800hrs currently and she runs sweet as a nut, no smoke. ive always wondered if having the bulk kn… Thanks.

Last Post by:  kullboys boys posted: 1 day ago

• Qsb 380 problem sort of.

This topic has 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by john 1 day ago

August 3, 2018 at 3:11 pm Ok so I get a call today from the owner of a boat I work on. Said he had lost power lots of black smoke and shut the starboard engine down because of the problem. I’m not around so he had someone look at the engine. Seemed like the turbo looked a little oily is how he described it. Turbo was free and turned free. Took the boat out and it ran great and 2900 rpm with no smoke. Any ideas?

Started by:  john

7 Replies
      Reply #7 August 14, 2018 at 4:32 pm Take a pic of the ecm and that is about all you Will get. You cannot see the pump. The pump sits right behind the computer. The older vintage qsb pumps were not that good. If you have one from what I understand it’s only a matter of time. Very good job of making it in usable and hard to get att to replace. About as hard as you could think of. Brilliant

Last Post by:  john posted: 1 day ago

• QSM11 issues

This topic has 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Tom Mann 2 days ago

October 16, 2017 at 8:34 am Hello all, I have a pair of 2004 QSM11’s recently the starboard side engine is burning a little more fuel and running 3-5 degrees hotter and 50-70 RPM’S behind the port engine. Subsequently I cannot hit 2340 at WOT. Previously both engine had no problem hitting 2340. My fuel filters, both the Racors (900’s) and the FS1009 were changed at 1180 hr, currently the engines have 1293 hrs. The bottom cleaned and props checked in th…

Started by:  Tom Mann

9 Replies
      Reply #9 August 14, 2018 at 8:18 am Hi, After propping down from 35” to 33” and retuning and balancing the props I have experienced some changes which I’ll post here. The port and starboard engines are running closer temps at 1820 RPM cruise and 23 MPH speed: Temps @ 163p / 165s GPH 17.6p / 18.9s The engines are running better than before at all RPMs and make rated RPM of 2300 on both with WOT of 2360p / 2330s. Tony, in answering your response. Yes, I did repitch my props an…

Last Post by:  Tom Mann posted: 2 days ago

• Throttle and shifter hydraulic system – unknowns

This topic has 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by glenn111 1 week ago

August 4, 2018 at 2:00 pm Pic is of ‘hydraulic’ reservoir/tank next to diesel generators fuel filter – aft stbd bulkhead, engine compartment of a 1999 Maxum 4100 SCA. Google search has me thinking it’s a hynautic brand hydraulic engine control – or something like that?? While I haven’t completely traced them yet, I believe the tank ‘outputs’ go to throttle/transmission and the ‘inputs’ come from helm throttle …

Started by:  Paul Hoffman

5 Replies
      Reply #5 August 5, 2018 at 4:35 pm Yes, that reservoir is for throttle and shifter. Steering has it’s own reservoir up at the helm by the steering wheel. Suggest to add fluid and air pressure to what is shown in your pic. Might have to “bleed’ the lines if have air trapped in the hydraulic hoses. I have the original manual for it if you need specific info. Probably on-line also. Good luck.

Last Post by:  glenn111 posted: 1 week ago

• Air leak in fuel system

This topic has 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Eric Howell 1 month ago

July 11, 2018 at 11:44 am I DIY installed a an SMX double double with the self priming bulb a year ago. The system is a huge improvement over my old racor set up. Since install I’ve had a small air leak. Using clear hose I’ve tracked it down to my primary/SMX (NOT the last chance on engine) fuel filters set up (checked fuel flow from tanks, selector valve, etc and no air). I’ve tried changing the filter canisters, but the leak persists. It’s not horrible, the e…

Started by:  Eric Howell

13 Replies
      Reply #13 July 16, 2018 at 1:07 pm Rob Schepis wrote: Surprised the “hired professionals” didn’t propose the option to you… I gave up on that yard 8-10 years ago. A lot of errors….. not just the decks. I do a lot of DIY but cutting into pristine decks with a high probability of incorrect location makes me squirm. The yard I use now says they’ll domit when repairs are needed and they’ll make water tight hatches then. 1978 Wasque 32

Last Post by:  Eric Howell posted: 1 month ago

• SMX-CPK kit for 4BTA3.9M

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

July 14, 2018 at 9:48 am I have a 1/2 id fuel hose from the tank to primary filter on a dual Racor system. All hose is trident 1/2 id. What fittings would I need to install one of the squeeze bulb kits? The kit would have to tie in with hose. Like the design and appreciate the advice. 3782 Blueberry Ln St James City Florida 33956 Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Sonny Jim Reeves

3 Replies
      Reply #3 July 15, 2018 at 6:40 am The fittings are 1/2″npt. The only thing that is 3/8″ is the tubing and squeeze bulb but you’ll be bypassing that for normal running via the valve positions. But you can run the engine via the 3/8″ loop for testing purposes, etc. without issue.. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Micro Commadner 585CE

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rick Bucovaz 1 month ago

July 9, 2018 at 5:34 am Hello, I am in search for 3 inch nylon belts for Mathers 585ce actuator. Any ideas where I can locate them?

Started by:  Rick Bucovaz

2 Replies
      Reply #2 July 9, 2018 at 8:58 am Yeah, not much mention about the belts and no part numbers as far as I can tell. I may have to make my own or go “Mechanical” Thanks Tony!

Last Post by:  Rick Bucovaz posted: 1 month ago

• Racor CCV and Walker Airsep Hybrid

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

July 5, 2018 at 6:59 pm I have twin Cat 3208 TAs (375HP) appx 1200 hrs 1994 vintage. Reaching 2800 rpm easily. EGTs 850 max. New turbos, SBMAR ultrasound cleaned after-coolers. SBMAR fuel filtration system. SBMAR risers….etc etc The engines came with Walker Airseps. I am a fan of Racor CCVs having converted previous B370s (thanks to Tony). The Walker air filters (K&N?) are brand new… and all seems good right now. Its the long term issues of gumming up after-co…

Started by:  James

1 Replies
      Reply #1 July 6, 2018 at 6:12 pm James, Why not just drain the Walker’s into a fancy “catch can” or bottle?.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Shaft seal problems.

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Philip 1 month ago

June 25, 2018 at 4:39 pm So my boat will is 39 years old. I’ve developed a problem with the shaft log stuffing box. It’s a buck Algonquin I think or similar. Seems it’s worn over the years and I’m having a issues with the packing material squirting out the front of the shaft log. I really don’t see how it happens as it seems centered. Anyway I’m at odds as to want to put in its place. I have replaced these before on customers boats. Even in the water. Same b…

Started by:  john

5 Replies
      Reply #5 June 30, 2018 at 11:57 am Given that it’s 18+++ years old I would replace the short piece of rubber hose as well. Not only can it fail, it can loose its regidity from the weight of the packing, sag, and cause leaks from topside packing wear.

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 1 month ago

• Fuel Filter Gauge

This topic has 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 1 month ago

April 1, 2018 at 1:25 pm Firstly, apologies as i have been away from the forums for most of the year so far. The boat has been working well thanks to everyone’s help, and we have been having a great fishing season so far. i’m just taking a a break this weekend for Easter. This time of the year is both our main fishing season, and also our baiting season when we work nights as well to catch ballyhoo. I was just curious about the sbmar vacuum gauges, as the…

Started by:  Gary Marshall

8 Replies
      Reply #8 June 28, 2018 at 12:04 am Also be aware that the drag pointer can be rotated 360 degrees, and will prevent the needle from moving in that position, usually zero. Don’t ask me how I know this….

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 1 month ago

• Raw Water Intake Covers

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 1 month ago

May 21, 2018 at 10:02 am I bought my 36′ Norstar Flybridge new in 2008. It had twin QSB 5.9 440s. When they first put it in the water, Cummins came out to test the engine systems. After testing, the Cummins rep had the boat manufacturer pull the boat out and remove the starboard engine’s wedge-shaped strainer (raw water intake cover) from the outside of the hull. Everything has worked fine for 900+ hours on the engines and I have had just a little more seawe…

Started by:  Jack Wallace

2 Replies
      Reply #2 June 27, 2018 at 11:55 pm Thanks, Rob, I never thought about electrolysis affecting the scoop, but mine recently fell off when underway. I guess the SS screws let go. They’ll be silicone bronze next time! Also as a side effect, the water flow alarm now occasionally chirps after hitting a large swell, irritating at times but it is reassuring to know that it is working.

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 1 month ago

• "Cool Hand Luke" 6BTA 370

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bill Desmarais 1 month ago

June 26, 2018 at 5:57 pm Hello All, Ran the 370 @ WOT for a few minutes running into the harbor yesterday. The engine is propped to “3250” rpms WOT with the boat heavy. Running a SMX 160F Tstat and SMX EGT gauge/sensor kit. Monitoring EGT is a great way to keep an eye on “engine load” for us mechanical marine diesel engine owners. Running at the pin, EGTs never get above 800F ! 25 Terry Jason down east, 370 6BTA 28 Henriques Sport Fish, twin Vol…

Started by:  Bill Desmarais

2 Replies
      Reply #2 June 27, 2018 at 6:00 am Tony engineered the gearing and propping. A ReCon 370 is “the best bang for the buck” in the 6BT/BTA family of engines. This engine is my fifth. Under propping is so important to long engine life. 25 Terry Jason down east, 370 6BTA 28 Henriques Sport Fish, twin Volvo 200 41 PA s

Last Post by:  Bill Desmarais posted: 1 month ago

• Exhaust Elbow Gasket

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

June 24, 2018 at 1:05 pm I am waiting for my exhaust elbow to be repaired after I removed it when a bolt broke. The turbo rusted enough to expand at the mating area and bent the flange. I have the mating surface cleaned up, and got a composite gasket from SBMAR. In the tips section I noticed you using some high temp silicone at the turbo base. Should I use some on the elbow to turbo area, using the s/s or composite gasket?

Started by:  Mark Tripi

1 Replies
      Reply #1 June 24, 2018 at 2:12 pm No one has a crystal ball here……………….PICTURES of what you see so we can see too.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Need more hot water

This topic has 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Scott Lambert 1 month ago

May 27, 2018 at 6:13 pm I have a QSB380 in my pleasure cruiser and often cruise at fairly low power, 1500 to 1800 RPM. Trouble is it takes a long time to heat enough water to have a hot shower. I was considering fitting a 12 volt circulation pump into the coolant line that runs to the hot water system. This would at least get coolant circulating faster through the HWS. Any one see any problems with this?

Started by:  Scott Lambert

9 Replies
      Reply #9 June 22, 2018 at 1:01 am I checked my engine and yep, that connection is there. Trouble is it needs a 1/2 inch NPT (according to Cummins quick serve web site) threaded stub pipe which I am having trouble finding. In the mean time I have fitted a circulation booster pump, photo attached. Gave it a test run today, excellent result. 20 minutes to heat the water even at low revs. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Scott Lambert posted: 1 month ago

• Source for gasket material

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 months ago

June 12, 2018 at 6:57 pm Anyone know where I can get rubber gaskets for the engine hatch on my 2007 Cabo Express 35’. It’s approx 1.5” x 7/8” with an adhesive backing, see photos. Thanks Phil Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Philip

2 Replies
      Reply #2 June 13, 2018 at 4:43 am Below is the McMaster link. At the top of the page in the “Find” search bar use the following as your search term: Surface-Mount Rubber Seals You’ll have a bunch of options to weed through. Double check your measurements, may be some parallax going on but looks closer to something like 1-3/8″ by 5/8″ …. probably not super critical but not sure how tight a fit you’re dealing with.. https://www.mcmaster.co…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 months ago

• Low oil pressure fault 415 QSB 8.3

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 months ago

June 9, 2018 at 10:39 pm Hi 1600 hours QSB 8.3 Maine Cummings Fault code came up 415 low oil pressure Cummings service tech changes sensor Same code Did a test on engine . Manual pressure gage read 40-50 psi! Good Engine idels 600 rpm Fault code comes up Pressure on smart craft reads 0.00 oil pressure 600 rpm, or 69.6 psi (on any other rpm ) Darin

Started by:  Darin Chung

2 Replies
      Reply #2 June 10, 2018 at 10:51 am Maybe a QSC 8.3? Anyway, welcome to “SmartCrap” electronics, designed by Mercury Marine (those gas outboard guys) but supported by no one, or maybe “Ghost Busters”?. If it makes you feel any better, the OP on your engine is very low by design.. Look at the attach specs for the newer “Q” engines.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: http…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 months ago

• Long Idle Times

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 months ago

June 6, 2018 at 6:05 pm I own a 1999 30 foot Pursuit with twin Cummins 4BTA-250s, under 600 hours at this time. My wife and I are looking to start a trip called the Great Loop, and that includes days of straight idle times in the Erie Canal and others. I am concerned about fouling the injectors and wondered if this is a legitimate concern. Years ago when in the USCG we were at an oil spill and idled for a few weeks on end and I had to replace this injectors. I want to …

Started by:  Mark Tripi

1 Replies
      Reply #1 June 7, 2018 at 6:54 pm DON’T give it a 2nd thought.. Plus for comfort, you can always bump it up to 800-1000 RPM if needed, plus that will help keep your battering up more. Hopefully your thermostats keep your engine at 160-180 F during those extended idle time periods.. If / when you get a chance, run the engine under load above 1400 up to higher cruise RPM’s when you can.. That will clean anything that needs to be cleaned in just a few minutes.. Tony …

• rubber hose sealant?

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bill Desmarais 2 months ago

June 5, 2018 at 2:36 am Hi, for the raw water plumbing, RW pump to AC, AC to HX etc, whats the go to sealant between the cast alloy housings and the raw water rubber hoses? on mine looks like something yellow translucent used… looking at seaboards products , rectoll # 5? or do i just go back to our usual silicon products or nothing at all FMPE works well. 25 Bertram Single shaft V drive 2007 6BTA 330-2900 Diamond HMT, reman x1 ZF 63 IV - 1.6 20-22 prop, 2900 rp…

Started by:  Mark

2 Replies
      Reply #2 June 5, 2018 at 7:31 pm Rectorseal # 5….. Home Depot sells it 25 Terry Jason down east, 370 6BTA 28 Henriques Sport Fish, twin Volvo 200 41 PA s

Last Post by:  Bill Desmarais posted: 2 months ago

• rainbow on top of water when hot or cold and white smoke

This topic has 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Andy king 2 months ago

May 25, 2018 at 7:58 am I have a cumin’s 6 BTA 5.9lt rebuilt . On the start up we get white smoke 5 to 6 minutes then it gets less but then we get rainbow on top of the water on tick over and low rpm in gear. We still get white smoke when the engine is warm as well and under load we get grey smoke. The engine temp is all good and also the oil temp . (I’ve attached a video ) (Any help is really appreciated) Attachments:You must be logged in to access atta…

Started by:  Andy king

9 Replies
      Reply #9 June 3, 2018 at 11:01 pm hi tony no not double washers the head had been board out to take 9 mm nozzles when they was in it was putting fuel out on top of the water, so i changed it i put adapter washers in to go from 9 mm back to my old 7 mm nozzles and it seems to have worked. no more fuel on the water all runs clear.

Last Post by:  Andy king posted: 2 months ago

• Zinc condition one year in

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 months ago

May 23, 2018 at 10:14 pm Wel, it’s been almost a year since I converted to fresh water flushing, here is what my zincs looked like after one year. Lots of material left, probably 75-80% but there is lots of scale so they were changed. Can I go longer? Phil Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Philip

3 Replies
      Reply #3 May 24, 2018 at 5:49 pm Pull the zinc ever 2-3 months, tap or hit with a hammer to break off the “flaky stuff” and re-install ( save a couple of bucks?–I would) But then again, I’m Greek.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 144 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.