This forum contains 133 topics and 866 replies, and was last updated by  Scott Lambert 18 hours ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 134 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 1 year ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      Reply #12 June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 1 year ago

• Need more hot water

This topic has 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Scott Lambert 18 hours ago

May 27, 2018 at 6:13 pm I have a QSB380 in my pleasure cruiser and often cruise at fairly low power, 1500 to 1800 RPM. Trouble is it takes a long time to heat enough water to have a hot shower. I was considering fitting a 12 volt circulation pump into the coolant line that runs to the hot water system. This would at least get coolant circulating faster through the HWS. Any one see any problems with this?

Started by:  Scott Lambert

9 Replies
      Reply #9 June 22, 2018 at 1:01 am I checked my engine and yep, that connection is there. Trouble is it needs a 1/2 inch NPT (according to Cummins quick serve web site) threaded stub pipe which I am having trouble finding. In the mean time I have fitted a circulation booster pump, photo attached. Gave it a test run today, excellent result. 20 minutes to heat the water even at low revs. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Scott Lambert posted: 18 hours ago

• Source for gasket material

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 week ago

June 12, 2018 at 6:57 pm Anyone know where I can get rubber gaskets for the engine hatch on my 2007 Cabo Express 35’. It’s approx 1.5” x 7/8” with an adhesive backing, see photos. Thanks Phil Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Philip

2 Replies
      Reply #2 June 13, 2018 at 4:43 am Below is the McMaster link. At the top of the page in the “Find” search bar use the following as your search term: Surface-Mount Rubber Seals You’ll have a bunch of options to weed through. Double check your measurements, may be some parallax going on but looks closer to something like 1-3/8″ by 5/8″ …. probably not super critical but not sure how tight a fit you’re dealing with.. https://www.mcmaster.co…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 week ago

• Low oil pressure fault 415 QSB 8.3

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 week ago

June 9, 2018 at 10:39 pm Hi 1600 hours QSB 8.3 Maine Cummings Fault code came up 415 low oil pressure Cummings service tech changes sensor Same code Did a test on engine . Manual pressure gage read 40-50 psi! Good Engine idels 600 rpm Fault code comes up Pressure on smart craft reads 0.00 oil pressure 600 rpm, or 69.6 psi (on any other rpm ) Darin

Started by:  Darin Chung

2 Replies
      Reply #2 June 10, 2018 at 10:51 am Maybe a QSC 8.3? Anyway, welcome to “SmartCrap” electronics, designed by Mercury Marine (those gas outboard guys) but supported by no one, or maybe “Ghost Busters”?. If it makes you feel any better, the OP on your engine is very low by design.. Look at the attach specs for the newer “Q” engines.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: http…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 week ago

• Long Idle Times

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 weeks ago

June 6, 2018 at 6:05 pm I own a 1999 30 foot Pursuit with twin Cummins 4BTA-250s, under 600 hours at this time. My wife and I are looking to start a trip called the Great Loop, and that includes days of straight idle times in the Erie Canal and others. I am concerned about fouling the injectors and wondered if this is a legitimate concern. Years ago when in the USCG we were at an oil spill and idled for a few weeks on end and I had to replace this injectors. I want to …

Started by:  Mark Tripi

1 Replies
      Reply #1 June 7, 2018 at 6:54 pm DON’T give it a 2nd thought.. Plus for comfort, you can always bump it up to 800-1000 RPM if needed, plus that will help keep your battering up more. Hopefully your thermostats keep your engine at 160-180 F during those extended idle time periods.. If / when you get a chance, run the engine under load above 1400 up to higher cruise RPM’s when you can.. That will clean anything that needs to be cleaned in just a few minutes.. Tony …

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 weeks ago

• rubber hose sealant?

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bill Desmarais 2 weeks ago

June 5, 2018 at 2:36 am Hi, for the raw water plumbing, RW pump to AC, AC to HX etc, whats the go to sealant between the cast alloy housings and the raw water rubber hoses? on mine looks like something yellow translucent used… looking at seaboards products , rectoll # 5? or do i just go back to our usual silicon products or nothing at all FMPE works well. 25 Bertram Single shaft V drive 2007 6BTA 330-2900 Diamond HMT, reman x1 ZF 63 IV - 1.6 20-22 prop, 2900 rp…

Started by:  Mark

2 Replies
      Reply #2 June 5, 2018 at 7:31 pm Rectorseal # 5….. Home Depot sells it 25 Terry Jason down east, 370 6BTA 28 Henriques Sport Fish, twin Volvo 200 41 PA s

Last Post by:  Bill Desmarais posted: 2 weeks ago

• rainbow on top of water when hot or cold and white smoke

This topic has 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Andy king 2 weeks ago

May 25, 2018 at 7:58 am I have a cumin’s 6 BTA 5.9lt rebuilt . On the start up we get white smoke 5 to 6 minutes then it gets less but then we get rainbow on top of the water on tick over and low rpm in gear. We still get white smoke when the engine is warm as well and under load we get grey smoke. The engine temp is all good and also the oil temp . (I’ve attached a video ) (Any help is really appreciated) Attachments:You must be logged in to access atta…

Started by:  Andy king

9 Replies
      Reply #9 June 3, 2018 at 11:01 pm hi tony no not double washers the head had been board out to take 9 mm nozzles when they was in it was putting fuel out on top of the water, so i changed it i put adapter washers in to go from 9 mm back to my old 7 mm nozzles and it seems to have worked. no more fuel on the water all runs clear.

Last Post by:  Andy king posted: 2 weeks ago

• Zinc condition one year in

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 4 weeks ago

May 23, 2018 at 10:14 pm Wel, it’s been almost a year since I converted to fresh water flushing, here is what my zincs looked like after one year. Lots of material left, probably 75-80% but there is lots of scale so they were changed. Can I go longer? Phil Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Philip

3 Replies
      Reply #3 May 24, 2018 at 5:49 pm Pull the zinc ever 2-3 months, tap or hit with a hammer to break off the “flaky stuff” and re-install ( save a couple of bucks?–I would) But then again, I’m Greek.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 4 weeks ago

• Line in Prop, Engine Stalled

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by NinasRevenge 1 month ago

May 21, 2018 at 9:57 am I recently got a 3/4″ dock line wrapped in my prop while going forward at idle speed. The line wrapped between the prop and the rear strut, seizing the shaft and causing the motor to stall/shut down. Once I got the line out, the engine fired back up and gear seems to be fine. Engine is a 6CTA, Gear is a twin disc MG5061A 1.75:1. What if any internal damage could this have caused to the engine or gear? Thanks in advance.

Started by:  NinasRevenge

5 Replies
      Reply #5 May 23, 2018 at 6:05 am We hauled out and found that there is damage to the cutlass bearing. The shaft has some play and the seal is gone. Having bearing replaced and hope to be back in the water soon.

Last Post by:  NinasRevenge posted: 1 month ago

• Raw Water Intake Covers

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

May 21, 2018 at 10:02 am I bought my 36′ Norstar Flybridge new in 2008. It had twin QSB 5.9 440s. When they first put it in the water, Cummins came out to test the engine systems. After testing, the Cummins rep had the boat manufacturer pull the boat out and remove the starboard engine’s wedge-shaped strainer (raw water intake cover) from the outside of the hull. Everything has worked fine for 900+ hours on the engines and I have had just a little more seawe…

Started by:  Jack Wallace

1 Replies
      Reply #1 May 21, 2018 at 5:28 pm So you have rectangular scoop strainers under the hull and some form of a basket style strainer in the engine room. Depending on your waters you could get away with one or the other rather than both. On my prior boat I had a basket strainer and no scoop strainer. On this boat scoop strainers and no basket strainers. It sounds like you are fine with just the baskets but the scoops would add another layer of protection if you run through a hea…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• VesseView 4 to NMEA 2K

This topic has 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tim Schantz 1 month ago

April 30, 2018 at 7:29 am I hooked up my Vessel View 4 gauges to my NMEA network trying to get my engine data to read out onto my Garmin 7610. My boat was just repowered with twin Cummins QSB 6.7 and two Vessel View 4 dispalys. One display reads out the port motor and the other reads out the starboard. When I hook it up to the NMEA network both VV4’s are showing up on the network, plus one Mercury Smartcraft Gateway. When I try to get the Garmin to ouput the engine…

Started by:  Tim Schantz

6 Replies
      Reply #6 May 21, 2018 at 6:41 am Corey Schmidt wrote: Welcome to the wonderful world of “SmartCrap”… Let me know when you confirm your MUS settings… The MUS on both engines is set to 1 and 2. Miss Quinn 36 Bertram Moppie Cummins QSB6.7

Last Post by:  Tim Schantz posted: 1 month ago

• 12 volt issue

This topic has 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by William Walter 1 month ago

May 15, 2018 at 3:56 pm I’ve lived with this since I bought the boat because it was low on the priority list and engines always started .port engine always starts fine and I usually start it first and turns over nicely. Stbd engine sometimes will not turn over as if the batteries are weak and relays start chattering.after that happens I checked batteries and have 12 .6 volts.ok so I know the answer is to clean every terminal in the 12 volt system which I have bee…

Started by:  William Walter

6 Replies
      Reply #6 May 20, 2018 at 6:21 pm Spent night on boat tonight and 12 volt system performed well but my indications were way off from anything I expected. I’ll work on problem myself and when I can get some sense out of this I’ll post again.Bill

Last Post by:  William Walter posted: 1 month ago

• Accidental cruise power shut down, any damage?

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 1 month ago

April 8, 2018 at 11:51 am Just serviced oil and heading back to the slip. Motors are at cruise power about 2200 rpm of 2880. I hit a wave while reaching for the trim switch and my fat finger bumped the stop switch on the port engine shutting it down. Stopped the boat, tried to restart and couldn’t get the mistaken shut down motor to turn over. Finally realize it was still in gear put it in nuetral and started right up. The boat ran fine home but now I’m obsessing tha…

Started by:  Joe Monaco

2 Replies
      Reply #2 April 30, 2018 at 7:27 pm Thanks Tony.

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 1 month ago

• Fuel Filter Gauge

This topic has 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Gary Marshall 1 month ago

April 1, 2018 at 1:25 pm Firstly, apologies as i have been away from the forums for most of the year so far. The boat has been working well thanks to everyone’s help, and we have been having a great fishing season so far. i’m just taking a a break this weekend for Easter. This time of the year is both our main fishing season, and also our baiting season when we work nights as well to catch ballyhoo. I was just curious about the sbmar vacuum gauges, as the…

Started by:  Gary Marshall

7 Replies
      Reply #7 April 29, 2018 at 1:01 am Gary Marshall wrote: Thank! Yes – I will remember to try that. Did the oil/filter change yesterday, so thought I would try out your suggestion, and after about 30 secs – 1 min, the first gauge (to the tank) started to rise steadily as you said it would. I reset the drag pointer, and we are all at 0 again. I guess that must mean the tank is pretty clean if after 700 hours (since December) we are still at 0.

Last Post by:  Gary Marshall posted: 1 month ago

• DVM to Cummins Smartcraft display .4-.5V battery drop?

This topic has 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

April 22, 2018 at 5:29 pm First – let me start by saying that the digital voltmeters Seaboard sells for a whopping 15$ are the cats meow. I have been amusing myself and learning about my boats battery draw and charge after putting them in this winter. I have already ducked one wiring bullet due to having them in place and seeing a weird reading before a battery fully ran down. My boat has a single QSM 11 engine with a pair of 8D’s which charge both off a batt…

Started by:  Larry Backman

8 Replies
      Reply #8 April 25, 2018 at 7:17 pm Most have an option for wiring in a manual overide switch. Do it. It’s the only way you remain in total control. Will allow your battery charger to work better too. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Thru hulls

This topic has 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by james 1 month ago

March 14, 2018 at 5:40 am I was going to lube up all my thru hulls while the boat was out..the engine thru hulls need an extension handle to get going .i usually use white lithium grease but was wondering if someone had a good way of freeing them up that last over time.

Started by:  William Walter

13 Replies
      Reply #13 April 25, 2018 at 4:41 pm My starboard main closed with an extension for engine flushing, then stuck solid afterwards. I finally was able to get it opened by putting a wrench on and working it pretty hard. I picked up a zerc fitting, but it on the drain, pumped in some grease and exercised it about 20 times and can now move it by hand with out the extension. When time permits, I’m going to pull the hose off, close the valve and pour barnacle buster in it to help …

Last Post by:  james posted: 1 month ago

• Electrolysis eating fuel coolers

This topic has 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by james 2 months ago

April 16, 2018 at 3:16 pm I own a 2005 Searay 39 Dancer with cummins 5.9 qsb’s. The starboard fuel cooler let go & racor water alarm goes off. I have owned the boat since new. 1st cooler let go in 2011 at 600 hours. Replaced cooler ran ok for 2 years (200 hrs) then let go again. I have replaced every 2 years since. All my zincs on starboard side( lower after cooler, trim tabs, water strainer pick ups for starboard engine, a/c all only last 3 months. The starboa…

Started by:  Europeanautoctr

5 Replies
      Reply #5 April 17, 2018 at 4:21 am I was having trouble with exessive zinc consumption and had a galvanic survey performed. The system was entirely intact and we were puzzled. We then did a check of the power post on the dock. What we found is the power post was sending .005 volts back to the boat, causing all my issues. We installed a galvanic isolator and zinc consumption became consistent with my neighbors.

Last Post by:  james posted: 2 months ago

• steering line replacement. 1 2 3

This topic has 44 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by john 2 months ago

February 15, 2018 at 8:15 pm I have a job that the owner of a older 38 Bertram wants the lower steering lines/hoses replaced. Its a capilano steering system. I guess now its seastar solutions. There specs say copper or 1000 psi equivalent hydraulic hose. Copper is going to be tough as its a old boat and ots just not that easy to run the lines with bends. Looking for ideas on the hydraulic hose to use. Stainless jic in some areas like the rudder most likely. Very pricey th…

Started by:  john

44 Replies
      Reply #44 April 12, 2018 at 2:43 pm Before and after Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  john posted: 2 months ago

• Installing SMX1730 pump

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Roger Howell 2 months ago

April 8, 2018 at 10:52 am Hi, I have ordered and installed a SMX1730 raw water pump on my new to me 2001 Cummins 6 cta 8.3 450. Is the pump bi directional, or is there a specific inlet and outlet port? Hopefully I have not installed it upside down. Still a while in Maine before I can run the engine to check water flow without rewinterizing. Thanks for your help. Roger Roger

Started by:  Roger Howell

4 Replies
      Reply #4 April 11, 2018 at 3:52 pm Thanks Roger Roger

Last Post by:  Roger Howell posted: 2 months ago

• Yanmar 4cyl vs Yanmar 6cyl

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 months ago

April 5, 2018 at 11:18 am In general, for my search for a boat I have searched only for those with Cummins Engines. Parts are cheap and available, and mechanics are readily available to work on them. However, there are some boats that I might consider that come up with the Yanmar engines such as the 6LPAs and the 240HP 4 cyl. I have eliminated the 6 cyl from consideration for such things as Valve seal issues and more stringent maintenance requirements. But how about the…

Started by:  Raymond Slingerland

5 Replies
      Reply #5 April 7, 2018 at 10:10 am Bill, I’m on your side…………Cummins never produced an engine in this size that could come close the the overall quality of 4LHA…..IMO , 4BTA was sad attempt……To bad they Yanmar never made it in a Common Rail engine but instead wasted their $$ on the 6LY (that engine could never compete w/ the QSB) and those “BMW chainsaw diesels” that are already obsolete… I will mention the 3 yr o…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 months ago

• Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Philip 2 months ago

April 6, 2018 at 7:16 am Hi All, We have noted that our engin oil consumption is too high, so we have decided to measure its blowby? My question is how can we troublshoot the BlowBy and is there any other root causes for this matter? Thank you very much.

Started by:  Mohamed Oueslati

1 Replies
      Reply #1 April 6, 2018 at 9:10 am Hi Mohamed and welcome You left a lot of information out of your initial post. You will find short posts get short to no answers so how about filling in the blanks 1. What engine model, year, serial, cpl 2. Hours, maintenance history, salt/fresh water 3. How do you change and fill oil, how many qts do you use 4. Out burn quantity per hours use 5. Smoke at start up? Color? 6. Smoke running? Color? 7. Please post up some pictures of your engine(s)…

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 2 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 134 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.