This forum contains 234 topics and 1,359 reply, and was last updated by  Rob Schepis 6 hours ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 235 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 2 years ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 2 years ago

• Propping issues

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 6 hours ago

August 24, 2019 at 1:59 pm I have a 2000 Riviera flybridge w/ 6bta 370 hp Cummins. I bought the boat used a couple of years ago. It had been sitting for 2-3years. After survey did complete bottom job. Blasted to gel coat, new paint, thru hulls and props. Emailed Riviera and put the exact spec props that were on the boat. 19 x 23 cupped. After cleaning aftercoolers, heat exchangers all filters. Installing your ccv system, stopping boost leaks etc I am still having some iss…

Started by:  Garry Lightfoot

1 Reply
      August 24, 2019 at 6:01 pm 3,400 no load for that engine is good but you were previously 800 rpm short on no load? Loaded they need to see ~3,150. Get your overheat issue squared away first before you do damage with more WOT sea trials. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 6 hours ago

• Hydraulic steering sizing

This topic has 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 3 days ago

August 19, 2019 at 3:57 pm I I need help on figuring out how to improve the hydraulic steering system on my 55 ft powerboat. The issue is during conditions when we are running with waves and surfing down the waves the forces on the steering wheel are more than the system can exert. The wheel is solid no matter what force you apply to the wheel We generally pull the power back to slow down or end up doing lots of S turns down the coast. It doesnt take much of a swell to pu…

Started by:  Larry aberg

6 Replies
      August 21, 2019 at 4:41 am You have not provided the corrected cylinder specs. And you said that the helm pump is “1.7L” … is that 1.7 cu in ? It sounds like the system is undersized in more ways than one. My research is telling me that the helm pump should be 2.7 cu in, not 1.7 cu in, your 3/8 nylon tubing should be 5/8 copper tubing with proper hydr. hose, and the cylinder should be close to 30 cu in. There are other variables to. What size (dia…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 3 days ago

• Engine flush fittings.

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by john 5 days ago

August 16, 2019 at 8:10 am I see Seaboard has bronze in line flush fittings for cummins engines. Is there any more sizes available? I’m looking for different barb end sizes. I have a few boats I work on that I would really like to add the ability to flush easier. Most of the boats are live aboards. 1 1/4 ,1 1/2 1 inch. I probably can cobble something together but those bronze fittings are real nice.

Started by:  john

2 Replies
      August 19, 2019 at 8:08 am I will take some pictures and mark them up. One is kind of weird hose sizes. It’s a Taiwanese trawler and it is not 1 3/4 or two inch feed hose to the raw water pump. The genset is 1 inch feed I think I would like to make them easy to flush out. It sits for long periods of time so would rather it sit with a fresh water flush.

Last Post by:  john posted: 5 days ago

• Low oil pressure fault 415 QSB 8.3

This topic has 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by tombuskirk 1 week ago

June 9, 2018 at 10:39 pm Hi 1600 hours QSB 8.3 Maine Cummings Fault code came up 415 low oil pressure Cummings service tech changes sensor Same code Did a test on engine . Manual pressure gage read 40-50 psi! Good Engine idels 600 rpm Fault code comes up Pressure on smart craft reads 0.00 oil pressure 600 rpm, or 69.6 psi (on any other rpm ) Darin

Started by:  Darin Chung

3 Replies
      August 16, 2019 at 8:32 am Greetings! I am having the same issue with my QSC 8.3. New sensor being flown in today in my remote location (Shearwater, BC), but based on your post, I have low confidence in that being the solution. Any help would be appreciated!

Last Post by:  tombuskirk posted: 1 week ago

• Envirovent v drive install pictures

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Daniel Brahniuk 1 week ago

August 12, 2019 at 5:42 pm Hi there am I missing finding something on the site , I’m going to purchase a envirovent ccv system for my v drive 250 hp 6bta and I see full install pictures for the direct drive installation that goes to the gear case to the intake. I only see a few install pictures for the v drive installation that goes to the valve cover ?

Started by:  Daniel Brahniuk

2 Replies
      August 13, 2019 at 11:12 am Thanks for the reply , just had my port engine out for a rebuild havnt really had a chance to break it in hoping it’s ok will no more when I get home Saterday to test it again. As for are quick conversation on the phone yesterday there was too much oil in it and I think the whipping affect was defently happening more then just a little bit. Put the correct oil in or close to it fired it up in my boat house and it sounded better not under l…

Last Post by:  Daniel Brahniuk posted: 1 week ago

• Cost to Repower a Farallon

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by james a marich 1 week ago

August 12, 2019 at 8:55 am what does it cost to repower a boat with a Cummins motor 5.9 or 6.7? james a marich

Started by:  james a marich

2 Replies
      August 13, 2019 at 6:45 am Thanks Tony, I do not have a boat yet, I’m looking for one for 6 pack charter work. I like the older Farallon’s and diesel is the way I want to go. I would like to use your services when the time comes.Jim james a marich

Last Post by:  james a marich posted: 1 week ago

• Help with Shaft Seals?

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Mike Pettee 2 weeks ago

August 7, 2019 at 9:41 pm Can you guys school me on shaft seals, and replacement? How can I identify what I have, does boat need to be hauled out to replace, etc. I have a 97 41′ Formula with 450’s. Port side recently started drinking ATF, goes through the whole reservoir in 30 minutes of run time, could be 3 minutes for all I know, I just check it in 30. Also, can I limp it along for a while longer, I’d rather not haul the boat in august. Thanks …

Started by:  dnord2

3 Replies
      August 10, 2019 at 3:32 am Never heard of an ATF cooled seal, that is interesting. I just replaced my shaft seals this season. I used Lasdrop seals. Boat needs to be pulled as the whole shaft needs to be unbolted from transmission and moved back to allow the new seal on. See if there is a spare seal on the shaft though. A lot of people place a spare on the shaft in case of an emegency. Could you do it in water? probably, but not worth it. If prepared a one day job. Migh…

Last Post by:  Mike Pettee posted: 2 weeks ago

• Raw water alarm going off

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 weeks ago

August 6, 2019 at 11:23 am I have a 1999 4087 Bayliner with twin cummins 5.9. The port raw water alarm has been going off randomly with no over heating or leaks that I can see. In fact we were shut down and at anchor for 1/2 hour and the alarm went off. Is the sensor strapped onto the exhaust hose or other ? Dave

Started by:  Dave M

2 Replies
      August 7, 2019 at 7:48 am First you need to figure out what type of raw water switch is on the raw water alarm circuit. It could be a temperature sensing disk on the mixer, could be a sensing band on the wet exhaust hose just after the mixer, could be flow switch anywhere in the seawater side circuit. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 weeks ago

• Best grease for steering rams

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 weeks ago

August 2, 2019 at 7:53 am Tony Great write-up on steering systems! What grease is recommended for lubricating the ram components via the installed grease nipples? Thanks, Joe BHM36 m/v Otter

Started by:  Joe Casey

2 Replies
      August 4, 2019 at 10:58 am Grease Type.. ………………………Any typical all purpose / multi-purpose grease bearing grease, or Marine Trailer Wheel Bearing grease that you can buy at your local auto parts store works great… If you buy a NON-MOLY EP grease (the stuff that makes it BLACK), you can also safely use it for electrical connections ( like battery terminals, push-on spade and screw-on connections, plugs, etc etc.…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 weeks ago

• Fresh water flush design

This topic has 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dave Weber 3 weeks ago

July 29, 2019 at 2:30 pm I’m considering how to install a fresh water flush system on my boat to both flush the system, as well as help winterize. I made up a draft diagram – are there any obvious errors? Some details: Designed so I can simply attach the fresh water hose and run the engines to flush. Engines would be flushed regularly; AC included mainly for winterization purposes. Want to flush 3 systems: Main engine (QSB 6.7 480), Cummins Onan 7.5 kWh G…

Started by:  Brad Arrington

7 Replies
      August 1, 2019 at 8:29 am Hi Brad I remember seeing one on youtube a guy did on a 6bta, really neat but simple design. Just search 6bta fresh water flush and you should see it. If I recall correctly he removed a plug on the sea water pump and piped up his inlet with valve in to the pump. Good Luck Dave

Last Post by:  Dave Weber posted: 3 weeks ago

• Turbo to Wet Elbow Bolts

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 weeks ago

July 30, 2019 at 3:05 pm Hi, I have a Cummins 6CTA8.3, we just removed the standard Cummins wet elbow from the turbo and the bolts were very badly rusted, and stuck in the housing. What type of bolts would you recommend to use? And also Nickel anti seize, copper anti seize? Much appreciated. Rick.

Started by:  rick-5458

3 Replies
      July 31, 2019 at 4:26 am 100% yes.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 3 weeks ago

• PSS Shaft Seals (Options)

This topic has 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Mike Mason 1 month ago

July 22, 2019 at 7:08 pm An upcoming project that I will be dealing with is Shaft Seals. I currently have the PSS Shaft seals. They are going on 20 years old and are showing it. The rubber accordion boot has gotten stiff and now causes at higher RPM to throw water. And I’m talking by the gallon. Seems to get out of balance and shimmy’s. Anyhow it didn’t do that before. I believe after sitting up this winter they just got stiff and didn’t relax back. So …

Started by:  Jon Foerster

5 Replies
      July 23, 2019 at 2:46 pm I run tides as well. There was an issue with on of mine prior to purchase so they cut the blue boot down about an inch to get to a True point in the shaft. No issues.

Last Post by:  Mike Mason posted: 1 month ago

• mag switch 6BTA 5.9 330 hp

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

July 14, 2019 at 11:42 am Having issues with randomly I go to start my starboard engine, turn the key on and nothing. No preheat light, no engine alarm light no instruments (gas gauge, oil pressure gauge etc. on my helm) its as if I never turned the key on and can not start the engine. I then turn it off try again and all functions are fine. This is very random? I replaced my ignition switch and thought it was resolved but next day after many start and stops it has start…

Started by:  Rick Smith

3 Replies
      July 23, 2019 at 12:36 pm “….was surprised at how it takes out the whole harness and effects many things” Yup, if it goes or connections come loose it’s just like turning of the key switch! Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Is fresh water flushing worthwhile? 1 2 3

This topic has 56 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by Wayne Spalding 1 month ago

January 19, 2017 at 8:08 am Years ago, following Tony’s recommendation, I hooked up fresh water flush fittings to my engine’s strainer and started flushing religiously. Within less than a year I noticed that the engine zincs were holding up much better; in fact after three years they are still going strong. I also believed that I was reducing corrosion on my raw water metal components, particularly the after cooler. Tony has implied that you can double the inte…

Started by:  David Marchand

56 Replies
      July 20, 2019 at 6:24 am On the basis of the advice here, I thought I would put in place a system to look after these new QSB engines ( and genset, which is 2yo/100hrs) Modified strainer caps for freshwater flush. 3/4” snap on hose fittings to 1” BSP stainless ball valve and elbow to ensure good flow. I’ve tasted the exhaust water with the sea cocked open during flush and it’s still salty.closed, it takes less than 5 mins to exhaust fresh. 3/4” hose at WOT fro…

Last Post by:  Wayne Spalding posted: 1 month ago

• When getting over the hump to planing speed smoke question.

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 1 month ago

July 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm I recently changed props (I posted before after the info on this forum) and I’m wondering about the smoke getting on plan. Old props 4 blade 20×24 The new props are 3 blade 22×23. I think I’m getting more black and some noticeable white smoke coming onto plane (after trolling a few hours @ 850rpm) than I did with the old props. Would this be expected/normal because of the 2 inch increase in prop diameter? The motors are CATS rated…

Started by:  Joe Monaco

2 Replies
      July 15, 2019 at 9:52 pm I worked with Jim @ ACME props. I was looking for better performance and range and thought my 2002 boat’s stock props were not performing based on what I was reading about similar boat’s with less HP motors running ACME props. The boat has 420HP 3126 MUI motors. You’re right I need to get fuel flow numbers and see where I am on the HP curve at my cruise power setting. I picked up about 50 NM range on a 350 gal tank, which is significant…

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 1 month ago

• Cutlass bearing set screw layout?

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

July 10, 2019 at 8:16 pm I’m in the process of rebuilding the stern tube in my 25’ Downeast boat and need to drill and tap the tube for set screws to fix the cutlass bearing. Is there a recommended layout for the screws? I’ll be using cone point set screws and can spot drill the cutlass. The cutlass is a light press fit into fiberglass. The page on installing shafts, logs, and struts is really helpfull https://www.sbmar.com/articles/installing-shafts-logs-struts-…

Started by:  Scott

1 Reply
      July 12, 2019 at 7:45 pm This is how we do it and have been for 25 Yrs +……….My own protocol based on “logic” as to what needs to be accomplished… 1) I never use a press fit on the stern bearing–NEVER means just that.. I always want the bearing to slide in and out by hand…………Sand, grind, machine what is needs to get a “SLIDE FIT”.. .010″-.030″ clearance is a good number, but that…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• SMX Double Double Multi-Stage Fuel Filtration Kit on Bayliner 3888

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

July 7, 2019 at 1:41 pm Buying first boat, 1989 Bayliner 3888 with naturally aspirated 175hp EH700 Hino engines. Just wondering if the Double Double Filtration Kit with vacuum gauge is compatible with and recommended upgrade fo this boat? Would the squeeze bulb priming kit also be a good addition? I have attached an image of the existing fuel filtration system on the boat. Thank you. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  george_morris

3 Replies
      July 8, 2019 at 3:39 pm That is it in a nutshell. Hard to tell in that pic but looks like you have clamped hose to barb connections? You’ll need to be sure of your connection type and hose dia. (ID) and get the correct connectors for the NPT ports at the IN & OUTs on the filter heads. The other must is finding the space for the mounting of all. More likely than not you’ll have more than ample hose length so if all is in good order you should not ha…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• New boat, new to diesels

This topic has 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Brad Arrington 1 month ago

April 17, 2019 at 12:16 pm Hi all, I’ve put in an offer on a new boat and am getting ready to see it for the first time. Coming from a freshwater cooled Mercruiser outdrive setup, the transition to a straight shaft diesel is quite a change. I’ve been doing some research but still feel very much the newbie. What kinds of things should I look for upon my initial viewing of the boat? Assuming all goes well, what kinds of things are important that I should do re…

Started by:  Brad Arrington

19 Replies
      July 1, 2019 at 7:58 am Tony, I defer to your expertise. I can say that the oil has just been changed. The sea trial was performed on commission so it had not been run. There was almost zero time on the new oil. The boat had not been idled dockside on the changed oil. It was at near idle speed for 10-15 minutes each way in a no-wake zone to and from the sea trial area. During the sea trial the engine was at temp and run at a variety of speeds for about 30 minute…

Last Post by:  Brad Arrington posted: 1 month ago

• Prop speed, worth doing? 1 2

This topic has 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 months ago

March 1, 2019 at 12:30 pm Thinking of trying some new ACME props and wondering while I’m at it if I should put prop speed on the running gear. Has anyone had experience with this product?

24 Replies
      June 17, 2019 at 12:08 pm Interesting. So you’ll need Floscans or electronic engines. With all the other expenses that Oceanmax is incurring you’d think they would just offer a fuel stipend for the sea trials. I wonder if they will pay to remove the coatings at the end if the owner wishes to have that done… Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 months ago

• What size are my fuel hoses?

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 2 months ago

June 10, 2019 at 9:01 am I’ve got CAT 3126 420 HP motors. The CAT part fuel hose on the governor is 3/8 inch. Would CABO put the same size line for the fuel hoses to the engine or would they up it to 1/2 inch? I’m adding a fuel flow sensor and trying to figure out what size barb setup to order. The hoses have numbers on them but no sizing info. Thanks for any help. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

2 Replies
      June 10, 2019 at 1:24 pm Thanks Rob! I was hoping those numbers would mean something to someone. Obviously I didn’t even notice the one that mattered. Great catch!

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 2 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 235 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.