This forum contains 191 topics and 1,162 reply, and was last updated by  Wayne Spalding 7 hours ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 192 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 1 year ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 1 year ago

• What do you see in this picture

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Wayne Spalding 7 hours ago

January 28, 2019 at 8:02 pm Watching a story about Giant Blue Fin tuna fishing in Prince Edward Island with the Bruce Brothers Fishing Charter on TV today. Anyone see anything in the photo of the TV?. Seaboard made it to Price Edward Island!… Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Philip

4 Replies
      February 17, 2019 at 1:50 pm Was a great trip! I went on a Bluewater Magazine hosted trip, caught a couple, one @ 750lb and another at 1000lbs. A few beers, lots of lobster- worth doing. Make sure you get a Bruce Bros boat.. Based Gold Coast, Australia general sport fishing Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Wayne Spalding posted: 7 hours ago

• Marine AC

This topic has 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dan 14 hours ago

February 14, 2019 at 8:21 am My AC pump and strainer are mounted in a near impossible location to access/reach in the boat, I am contemplating moving the strainer to an area that is essentially at the same height as the AC unit itself,the pump will remain at the same level below the waterline. Weed can and does often fill the strainer in a matter of hours,and getting to it requires a midget on board and ends up being a messy affair, I have a great location I can move it to…

Started by:  Dan

10 Replies
      February 17, 2019 at 7:22 am Rodger, Thanks for the input,I have a freshwater flush tee on the intake side of the pump now I have used it to prime the pump on occasion,the preferred time for the strainer to block and the AC to shutdown seems to be around 2AM and the bride goes on the warpath… To clean the strainer I have to raise the entire helm section and crawl across one of the motors reach down and do it entirely by feel.The other option is to open the small access ha…

Last Post by:  Dan posted: 14 hours ago

• Adding a helm

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 4 days ago

February 7, 2019 at 6:54 pm My boat has an old Hynautic steering system, from which the pressure can and relief valves have been removed with positive results—smoother operation with less effort to turn the wheel. I’m now installing a second helm station at the transom, and wondering if I need to run a third line from the new helm back up to the reservoir? This type of helm pump does not have an internal reservoir, and a reservoir tank at the lower helm could not be ve…

Started by:  donald roth

4 Replies
      February 12, 2019 at 10:29 pm Thanks, I’ve been thinking it all through, and have also come to the conclusion that adding a second reservoir would not work, I’ve got to run a third line forward to the reservoir at the high point of the system.

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 4 days ago

• Changing prop diameter.

This topic has 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 6 days ago

February 8, 2019 at 12:39 pm I was using a prop calculator from a different web site and I’m wondering about the result. I’ve got a 22000 lb “ avg planning” hull. About 28 feet of water line, 1:483 trans, 420 hp cats @ 2880 WOT and 4 blade 20 x 24 I think cupped wheels. I cruise at 2350 about 20-22knots conditions/weight dependent. The calculator says I should have 21.2 x 22.3 cupped or 23.5 no cup. What does the cupping do for a props performance? If someone can …

Started by:  Joe Monaco

7 Replies
      February 11, 2019 at 1:09 pm Joe, If you want to get a handle on what’s going on with your props, it’d be a good idea to read Dave Gerrs book “ The Propeller Handbook”. It’s not a tech manual, it’s easy to read and understand. Your best bet is always to work closely with a reputable prop shop in your area.

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 6 days ago

• “Exercising” house deep cycle batteries

This topic has 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 weeks ago

January 31, 2019 at 7:23 am Just installed new start and house batteries. I read somewhere that it’s a good idea to draw down the deep cycle batteries and then recharge them. Is there a preferred way to do this? Is this something most folks do or is it not that important? Thanks!

4 Replies
      February 1, 2019 at 3:33 am Scott Lambert wrote: I would recommend fitting one, even though they are not cheap. Thanks for the input Scott. Yes a “monitor” is pricey and adds the other features Scott mentions but a simple “meter” is cheap and easy and gives you that one most important pc of info – accurate voltage at the terminals. The DVM: https://www.sbmar.com/product/smx-digital-dc-voltage-monitor/ The Article; https://www.sbmar.com/articl…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 weeks ago

• 2002 5 KW Westerbeke preheating question

This topic has 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 2 weeks ago

January 3, 2019 at 8:13 pm What is a normal amount of time to hold the preheat when it’s colder? Also how long is too long for the motor to start after hitting the starter? Today I held pre heat for 30 seconds and it took about 15 seconds to start. Which seemed like a long time to run the starter. Normal?? At what point in hard cold starting would I need to check out the glow plug condition? Machine has about 700 hours and runs fine once started and starts right up …

4 Replies
      January 31, 2019 at 7:16 am To follow up on this topic. As mentioned as a possibility by other posters my start batteries were weak/bad. The preheat was draining them and when I hit the starter the generator was not turning over as it should delaying the start. New batteries it starts right up the way it’s use to. Thanks to all!

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 2 weeks ago

• Running at WOT

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Thomas Hale 2 weeks ago

January 28, 2019 at 4:30 pm I have a question which I am sure has been previously asked and answered, but I have searched the forum and not found the discussion. Have a 2009 QSB 5.9 bought new. It now has 4200 hours. With light fuel and water, we get 2660 RPM. Full fuel and water we get 2640 rpm. We cruise at 1620 -1780 rpm. How often and for how long should I run at WOT to “blow out” the carbon? In Tony’s tips there are several great articles on engine life and what…

Started by:  Thomas Hale

3 Replies
      January 29, 2019 at 4:52 am Thank you for your reply. At the time we had the boat built in 2009 I was running a boatyard in VA. It was a service dealer for Cummins, Yamaha, and Volvo. So with that background experience, the choice of Cummins was easy. 411 Walnut St #7130

Last Post by:  Thomas Hale posted: 2 weeks ago

• 30 amp plug

This topic has 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Dan 2 weeks ago

November 13, 2018 at 2:32 pm I have a 50 amp service and a 30 amp service on my 38 Tiara.The 30 amp has been popping the breaker when only drawing about 15 amps so I took the outlet apart and noticed some melting in the outlet.There is no extra wire to pull out so I can cut back on the wire so I was going to pigtail more wire so I have room to work.is crimping this wire the norm for this situation.thx Bill Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  William Walter

10 Replies
      January 28, 2019 at 10:50 am William. Hard to tell from your pic but it looks like your connection is the same as mine was on my Pursuit, low on the deck and getting washed in salt water on rough days and soaked when it rained, and the cables all over the deck. Another option if it works for you would be to shift it up under the gunnel where it stays dry, on mine the cable actually dropped down to the original location so I didnt have to lengthen the wires. I put a plate ov…

Last Post by:  Dan posted: 2 weeks ago

• Deck drains

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Dan 3 weeks ago

January 6, 2019 at 6:13 am Hi all, Odd topic for here but I thought I would throw it out there in case someone can point me in the right direction. I am looking for some stainless (316) 90 degree deck drains to suit a 2′ hose, they need to look something like this (preferably with a wider top flange) All I can find with google is 1 to 1.5′ hose barb. Any help appreciated, Dan Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Dan

5 Replies
      January 21, 2019 at 5:31 pm I found a couple of solutions, these would have been perfect, made by gemlux but no longer produced,I need six and can only find two. https://www.greatlakesskipper.com/gemlux-2-inch-stainless-steel-boat-floor-drain-w-strainer Southco made a great scupper with a non return ball, but is no longer in production,I found a company that must have purchased old southco stock- page 37 of their catalog, unfortunately it is physically to big to install in…

Last Post by:  Dan posted: 3 weeks ago

• Fluid Recommendation for Manual Hydraulic Steering

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

January 6, 2019 at 8:51 pm Hi Tony, I have a manual hydraulic steering system that I am finishing installing with a Capilano Variable Displacement Pump and a Wagner Piston. What type of fluid would you recommend for a system like this? Thanks, Pat

Started by:  Patrick Presti

4 Replies
      January 9, 2019 at 10:23 pm The older Capilano pumps all recommended straight Dextron Spec ATF.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Propeller Calculator?

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Brian Katz 1 month ago

January 7, 2019 at 9:59 pm I enjoyed using the prop calculator on boat diesel, but haven’t subscribed there lately, anybody know where I could find a good online calculator?

2 Replies
      January 8, 2019 at 9:27 pm Vicprop is the goto and you can cross reference with the Michigan Wheel Calculator as well. https://www.miwheel.com/inboard-propellers/prop-it-now/

Last Post by:  Brian Katz posted: 1 month ago

• SeaMax 1730

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

January 4, 2019 at 10:28 am What is the raw water flow rate through the SeaMax 1730 pump at different RPMs?

Started by:  Walter Schwab

1 Reply
      January 4, 2019 at 1:45 pm See attached from Seaboard. Pump RPM is “roughly” 1:1 to Engine RPM Rob "Luck is the residue of good design." Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• WOT RPM speed to weight relationship.

This topic has 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 1 month ago

December 10, 2018 at 12:05 pm Hi all, Reading various topics I’m still trying to understand how WOT RPM is affected by weight. On my boat it seems that I remember and I do need to recheck it again, that my WOT was not affected much if at all by weight. However my speed did decrease. Taking a planning Hull boat with clean bottom propped correctly would a lighter boat have a higher WOT RPM than a heavy boat or will the boat just go faster than a heavy boat with the WOT rpm s…

14 Replies
      December 30, 2018 at 1:13 pm Wow! Great info. Thanks to all. For me it seems the takeaway is what has been preached here, make sure your motors are under propped to reach rated rpm ++. This way you can keep your “loaded” fuel burn under the manufactures spec for any given rpm thereby not “overloading” or over stressing the engine at any rpm. The charts of RPM vs GPH now make more sense to me. That number is the most fuel burn your motor is “rated” to have IF …

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 1 month ago

• Hynautic helm ID

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

December 21, 2018 at 3:24 pm I’ve got a Hynautic helm pump that dribbles a bit from the shaft seal, which crumbled on disassembly, so I dont even have a sample part to match. The helm pump lacks any kind of ID plate or stamp, wondered if anyone was familiar enough with these items to identify it? Thanks! Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

3 Replies
      December 27, 2018 at 7:26 pm Parts have always been fair priced………….Sounds like you are “going for it”.. Take some pics along the way and post what is involved.. It’s really nice to share what you “see” and learn to help others.. .. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Proper Hose Clamp Size

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

December 23, 2018 at 9:30 am What are the standard rules, best practices, for using hose clamps. All stainless steel I know. When should constant torque clamps be used? When should two clamps be used back to back? How much band overlap should there be (what size should be used)? Any special clamps for the material/composition of the hose like using a linear clamp? Any special clamps or considerations for the type of material passing through the hose (air, freshwater, seawat…

Started by:  Walter Schwab

2 Replies
      December 24, 2018 at 10:33 am Nutdriver tight on worm gear clamps is all I have done for decades. We’ve covered this a few times by now. Do a few searches. For sure one using “nutdriver” as search term and then for a tool purchase if you wish search “valve wrench” Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• QSB6.7 trolling

This topic has 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Justin Riege 2 months ago

November 19, 2018 at 8:12 am I have 2013 QSB 6.7’s. I’d like to know if slow trolling in and out of gear is OK. Also, what is involved with installing trolling valves. Thanks.

Started by:  steve lehman

10 Replies
      November 26, 2018 at 1:50 pm Sorry for the delay, I was out of town and off the grid for the holiday. The kit doesn’t specifically come with instructions but we can do our best to walk you through it remotely. I would say you need to be reasonably mechanical, not that its exceedingly hard to install a trolling valve, but if you cross thread the sending unit, or strip a bolt that holds the assembly to the gear, or anything like that it could be a costly or at least a t…

Last Post by:  Justin Riege posted: 2 months ago

• Synthetic Oil

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 months ago

November 21, 2018 at 10:03 am I have searched the forum and did not find an answer to my question, so here goes. When our boat was built 9 years ago Cummins sent a tech to the boat to go over the engine operation and service and to answer any questions we might have: the “Captains Briefing”. One question I asked was whether I should switch to synthetic oil after the break in period. The answer was, “Sure, use any oil you want so long as it meets our spec…

Started by:  Thomas Hale

4 Replies
      November 24, 2018 at 10:33 am IMO——- NOTHING MEASURABLE OR QUANTIFIABLE.. Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 months ago

• Wolverine Time in the Northeast

This topic has 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Larry Backman 2 months ago

October 17, 2017 at 5:14 am This time of year the Wolverines pan heaters are especially appreciated: This mornings “conditions”: Salon – 49 deg F and 72% humidity Engine Room – 66 deg F and 43% humidity Rob "Luck is the residue of good design." Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Rob Schepis

12 Replies
      November 23, 2018 at 3:58 am I will look again but as you know the dry QSM has a lot of “stuff” on either side. I am having the fuel cooler removed this winter for service and maybe with that out we can squeeze a Wolverine in behind it?

Last Post by:  Larry Backman posted: 2 months ago

• Water in fuel alarm

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 months ago

November 22, 2018 at 3:42 pm So I started to get a water in fuel alarm on my port engine but not the startboard. 1. Immediately checked fuel samples of both sides by draining primary racor into a clean glass jar – no water noted either side. 2. Changed primary racor filter with new 10 mic filters 3. Changed on engine FF5488 with new filters and dumped contents into glass jar – no water noted either side. At this point suspect either bad sensor or harness wiring…

Started by:  Philip

2 Replies
      November 22, 2018 at 5:31 pm Most likely just a glitch.. Clean connections on the end of the WIF sensor, spray all wire plug connections w/ WD-40 at all plugs, and see where it goes.. Remember, this is “SmartCrap” stuff .. Glitches are part of why Cummins has walked away…. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 months ago

• another newbie winterising question

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 months ago

November 21, 2018 at 6:31 am ok so just curios on is there anything i need to grease on these engines ever? i have qsc8.3l 600hp? if so any particular type of grease? also i have ZF transmissions. i notice there is a small filter on them? is there any videos on changing the oil for these on where to drain and how to fill and changing that filter? zincs, i need to order from tony, what sizes are they? i found two websites giving me different size specs for zincs and should i…

Started by:  chrism6784

3 Replies
      November 22, 2018 at 3:57 am Chris, learn to use the search function on the sbmar main site, Corey puts hours and hours into making the site what it is today. A simple search term of “qsc zinc” finds you the two attached images for the QSC zincs As to the gear, I asked for “exact model”…. you don’t go to the parts counter and tell them you need an oil filter for a Chevy… we are all here to help but please help us help you. Rob "Luc…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 192 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.