This forum contains 178 topics and 1,102 reply, and was last updated by  Larry Backman 4 days ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 179 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 1 year ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 1 year ago

• WOT RPM speed to weight relationship.

This topic has 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Larry Backman 4 days ago

December 10, 2018 at 12:05 pm Hi all, Reading various topics I’m still trying to understand how WOT RPM is affected by weight. On my boat it seems that I remember and I do need to recheck it again, that my WOT was not affected much if at all by weight. However my speed did decrease. Taking a planning Hull boat with clean bottom propped correctly would a lighter boat have a higher WOT RPM than a heavy boat or will the boat just go faster than a heavy boat with the WOT rpm s…

Started by:  Joe Monaco

13 Replies
      December 14, 2018 at 8:12 pm How did I miss this thread. It’s a great user summation of the challenges of propping for real life. I have been working this problem for 6 years on my 36’ downeast with the sensitive to overloadingQSM 11. As Steve said your load is infinitely variable based on more changing variables than we can realistically track. Tony and sometimes Cummins wants you below the fuel curve at all times. I counter that with my thinking that while you wa…

Last Post by:  Larry Backman posted: 4 days ago

• QSB6.7 trolling

This topic has 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Justin Riege 3 weeks ago

November 19, 2018 at 8:12 am I have 2013 QSB 6.7’s. I’d like to know if slow trolling in and out of gear is OK. Also, what is involved with installing trolling valves. Thanks.

Started by:  steve lehman

10 Replies
      November 26, 2018 at 1:50 pm Sorry for the delay, I was out of town and off the grid for the holiday. The kit doesn’t specifically come with instructions but we can do our best to walk you through it remotely. I would say you need to be reasonably mechanical, not that its exceedingly hard to install a trolling valve, but if you cross thread the sending unit, or strip a bolt that holds the assembly to the gear, or anything like that it could be a costly or at least a t…

Last Post by:  Justin Riege posted: 3 weeks ago

• Synthetic Oil

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 weeks ago

November 21, 2018 at 10:03 am I have searched the forum and did not find an answer to my question, so here goes. When our boat was built 9 years ago Cummins sent a tech to the boat to go over the engine operation and service and to answer any questions we might have: the “Captains Briefing”. One question I asked was whether I should switch to synthetic oil after the break in period. The answer was, “Sure, use any oil you want so long as it meets our spec…

Started by:  Thomas Hale

4 Replies
      November 24, 2018 at 10:33 am IMO——- NOTHING MEASURABLE OR QUANTIFIABLE.. Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 3 weeks ago

• Wolverine Time in the Northeast

This topic has 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Larry Backman 3 weeks ago

October 17, 2017 at 5:14 am This time of year the Wolverines pan heaters are especially appreciated: This mornings “conditions”: Salon – 49 deg F and 72% humidity Engine Room – 66 deg F and 43% humidity Rob "Luck is the residue of good design." Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Rob Schepis

12 Replies
      November 23, 2018 at 3:58 am I will look again but as you know the dry QSM has a lot of “stuff” on either side. I am having the fuel cooler removed this winter for service and maybe with that out we can squeeze a Wolverine in behind it?

Last Post by:  Larry Backman posted: 3 weeks ago

• Water in fuel alarm

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 weeks ago

November 22, 2018 at 3:42 pm So I started to get a water in fuel alarm on my port engine but not the startboard. 1. Immediately checked fuel samples of both sides by draining primary racor into a clean glass jar – no water noted either side. 2. Changed primary racor filter with new 10 mic filters 3. Changed on engine FF5488 with new filters and dumped contents into glass jar – no water noted either side. At this point suspect either bad sensor or harness wiring…

Started by:  Philip

2 Replies
      November 22, 2018 at 5:31 pm Most likely just a glitch.. Clean connections on the end of the WIF sensor, spray all wire plug connections w/ WD-40 at all plugs, and see where it goes.. Remember, this is “SmartCrap” stuff .. Glitches are part of why Cummins has walked away…. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 3 weeks ago

• another newbie winterising question

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 3 weeks ago

November 21, 2018 at 6:31 am ok so just curios on is there anything i need to grease on these engines ever? i have qsc8.3l 600hp? if so any particular type of grease? also i have ZF transmissions. i notice there is a small filter on them? is there any videos on changing the oil for these on where to drain and how to fill and changing that filter? zincs, i need to order from tony, what sizes are they? i found two websites giving me different size specs for zincs and should i…

Started by:  chrism6784

3 Replies
      November 22, 2018 at 3:57 am Chris, learn to use the search function on the sbmar main site, Corey puts hours and hours into making the site what it is today. A simple search term of “qsc zinc” finds you the two attached images for the QSC zincs As to the gear, I asked for “exact model”…. you don’t go to the parts counter and tell them you need an oil filter for a Chevy… we are all here to help but please help us help you. Rob "Luc…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 3 weeks ago

• 4LHA-STP engine overheating 1 2

This topic has 23 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Mick Huestis 1 month ago

November 10, 2018 at 3:30 pm Hello – keen on some guidance please. My 4LHA-STP (240hp) engine is overheating. 2000 hours. Coolers / heat exchanger are all just cleaned and looking great. New impellor fitted in sea water pump, water is flowing through the sea water circuit. I am not losing any engine coolant on the fresh water side. Not sure where to look next. any guidance appreciated. cheers Mick

Started by:  Mick Huestis

23 Replies
      November 17, 2018 at 12:57 am Running out of things to check. Wet exhaust was clear, like the day I built it. Dry riser was perfect. No moisture. Working perfectly (thanks to Tony’s Tips 5 years ago). Turbo exhaust was silky velvet soot, clearly no moisture leaking through exhaust manifold / header tank. Engine oil lab test was good, zero water in crank case. Gave coolant pump a spin today, seems to be flowing normally. After cooler, totally clear, o rings still greased,…

Last Post by:  Mick Huestis posted: 1 month ago

• QSM 535

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

November 14, 2018 at 11:33 am And I though I had it all….Boy, I was wrong.. I need a serial number from any QSM11 535.. Anyone out there have one they can share? Thanks, Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Started by:  Tony Athens

2 Replies
      November 14, 2018 at 7:20 pm I should have figured you’d come thru.. Thanks.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• 30 amp plug

This topic has 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Justin Riege 1 month ago

November 13, 2018 at 2:32 pm I have a 50 amp service and a 30 amp service on my 38 Tiara.The 30 amp has been popping the breaker when only drawing about 15 amps so I took the outlet apart and noticed some melting in the outlet.There is no extra wire to pull out so I can cut back on the wire so I was going to pigtail more wire so I have room to work.is crimping this wire the norm for this situation.thx Bill Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  William Walter

4 Replies
      November 14, 2018 at 9:13 am Fireisland makes a good observation, that looks like regular ol un-tinned building wire and ideally you should be using tinned wire designed for marine applications. However, it doesn’t look exceedingly corroded where you cut it back, so you might be able to get a bit more life out of it. Follow corey’s advice and crimp some pigtails on their, use some corrosion x and shrink wrap the connection. If you do all of that it should get …

Last Post by:  Justin Riege posted: 1 month ago

• Qsc8.3 block heater

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Greg Weaver 1 month ago

November 14, 2018 at 7:27 am Which wolverine model should I use to heat my oil pan for easy start during winter months. I was planning on using the pan heater instead of block heater…unless you recommend block heater instead… Also what is proper placement of both items…meaning how do you attach the oil pan heater to the oil pan And Where is the block heater get placed (if I go with this option)

Started by:  chrism6784

1 Reply
      November 14, 2018 at 8:50 am So I just went through these options last month. Per Tony’s advice, this is what I did I have 6cta 480CE 8.3 He recommended the wolverine 250 watt version. The more I got to thinking about it the less I wanted ” Block heaters ” especially high wattage ones. It’s not really cold enough for me to be using these but I did leave them on overnight and WOW, the entire oil pan is VERY warm and that heats just rises. As for inst…

Last Post by:  Greg Weaver posted: 1 month ago

• Is fresh water flushing worthwhile? 1 2 3

This topic has 53 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

January 19, 2017 at 8:08 am Years ago, following Tony’s recommendation, I hooked up fresh water flush fittings to my engine’s strainer and started flushing religiously. Within less than a year I noticed that the engine zincs were holding up much better; in fact after three years they are still going strong. I also believed that I was reducing corrosion on my raw water metal components, particularly the after cooler. Tony has implied that you can double the inte…

Started by:  David Marchand

53 Replies
      November 14, 2018 at 4:02 am The ignition key on the seacock when closed is my M.O. as well. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Walker Airsep oil leaking Myth figured out

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Corey Schmidt 1 month ago

November 11, 2018 at 11:56 pm Hello all, So I have a 2003 Carolina Classic 35 with Cummins 6cta 480ce that I bought a few months ago and I have been going through the boat fixing, cleaning upgrading ect… So from day one and even on sea trial I asked about these several drops of oil below my Walker Air filters. This has been bugging me about oil dripping out of them, sometimes i’ll noticed maybe a teaspoons worth and sometimes just a few drops depending on how often I che…

Started by:  Greg Weaver

3 Replies
      November 13, 2018 at 3:24 pm Cheaper and easier, IMO EnviroVent CCV Kit 6CTA 8.3 & QSL 9 Series Corey Schmidt VP, Operations Seaboard Marine, Inc.

Last Post by:  Corey Schmidt posted: 1 month ago

• QSB 5.9 380's with 5100 hours

This topic has 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Mike Mason 1 month ago

November 5, 2018 at 7:44 am Hello Forum, I was debating whether to even create this post as I am not sure my “Admiral” will even go for this…… I was poking around and I ran across a Tiara 3600 Open, 2005 vintage, in Marathon Florida that looks interesting. This is one of the boats that is HIGH on my desirable list. Description states “5100 hours on the engines and ~90% of those are at Trolling speed”. I sent 10 questions to the list…

Started by:  Steve Lewis

13 Replies
      November 10, 2018 at 8:44 am Let me know once your ready for the fresh water flush system! I’ll send you pics of mine. Super easy to add to the raw water side. Mike

Last Post by:  Mike Mason posted: 1 month ago

• Battery Opinion

This topic has 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by James Graham 1 month ago

November 1, 2018 at 11:52 am Looking for opinions on use of one 8D battery verses two 31 series batteries for one bank. Room and accessibility not an issue. Mainly interested in the house side. Thanks, Jim

Started by:  James Graham

9 Replies
      November 9, 2018 at 10:12 am This not a new build. 30 single engine downeast boat, 330B power. DC requirement on the house side is: Furuno TZT2 15L MFD. Fish finder function runs all day. Radar runs when engine runs, Additional Fishfinder FCV 295, runs all day. Furuno GP33 VHF radio Lighting runs when the engine runs for the most part. Three durabrite mini’s, couple of small rigid floods, couple of cabin lights, and running lights. All lighting LED’s. Bilge pum…

Last Post by:  James Graham posted: 1 month ago

• Access to Sherwood pump & impeller 6BTA 5.9 330

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rick Smith 1 month ago

November 8, 2018 at 8:12 am So this is my first boat with Cummins diesel’s 2005 6BTA’s 330 hp 450 hrs (Maxum 3700 cy). Purchased in April of this year started to do my first impeller change/inspection on the Sherwood water pumps. The port engine is very simple with easy access, but the Starboard engine, holly crap!! The pump is between the engine and the starboard wall of the boat with about 8″ of room? Before I started I reviewed all your white papers o…

Started by:  Rick Smith

3 Replies
      November 9, 2018 at 8:44 am Tony, You are correct, V Drives.I will be at the boat this weekend for to capture pictures Digitalrls

Last Post by:  Rick Smith posted: 1 month ago

• Exhaust hose replacement

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

October 31, 2018 at 7:19 pm Hi, I need to replace my 6 inch rubber exhaust hose. Any tips? Can I use some sort of lubricant to help the hose slide on without helping it slide off?

Started by:  Scott Lambert

3 Replies
      November 2, 2018 at 4:41 am Use the graphite gasket sold here. Block sand the face of the turbo outlet to clean it up. Gasket can go dry. High temp RTV silicon never hurts, especially if there are imperfections left in the mounting face. Anti-seize lube on new mounting bolts. https://www.sbmar.com/product-category/engine-components/turbochargers-parts/ Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Diesel fuel conditioning

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brian Katz 1 month ago

October 31, 2018 at 8:53 am As I prepare to winterize my 6TBA’s and as a first time diesel owner I’ve searched the forum looking for information regarding the storage and conditioning of diesel fuel and have not found anything significant. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place? When using gasoline in other boats I typically use Startron(ethanol treatment) when adding fuel to the boat during the season and Stabil at the time of layup. In short I don’…

Started by:  Brian Katz

2 Replies
      November 1, 2018 at 6:15 am Well now its on the books. Thanks Rob.

Last Post by:  Brian Katz posted: 1 month ago

• Jog Steering

This topic has 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by john 1 month ago

October 26, 2018 at 5:48 pm I finally got around to installing jog steering in my Downeaster. I used an Octopus variable piston pump, a reversing relay and 2 HD soft switches. The pump output is adjustable. I have it set for 11 seconds full sweep. Seems to work as planned. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Fireisland1

10 Replies
      October 29, 2018 at 6:09 am Fireisland1 wrote: Thanks Rob. I’m a pretty good inventor. The only problem is most of my inventions already exist. I should get out more. Yes it’s tough when you have to compete with a nice lever like Tony put up. All in one. It’s alway nice to have the ability to make your own and watch it work. Another question for tony. Why the two pumps with the accusteer pump setup?

Last Post by:  john posted: 1 month ago

• Delo 400 SDE 15-40

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

October 28, 2018 at 7:57 am Any comments regarding this newer Delo formulation that appears to be intended to replace Delo 400 LE. Is this an acceptable, or perhaps preferred, choice for my QSC’s? I have been using Delo LE. Thank you.

Started by:  Kraig Kilger

1 Reply
      October 28, 2018 at 3:51 pm Worry about everything that really matters on these type of engines—- 60++ HP per liter diesels with salt water cooled mixed metal aftercoolers, all of the cooling “hang-ons” made with light weight metal thin wall alloys, are so easy to overload above the recommended prop curves in the “cruise HP RPM” range and exhaust system designs that still play a major cause in early engine failures……………

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• After 10 years, 100s of phone conversations, 100s of emails, forums, buying engi

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bill Desmarais 1 month ago

October 21, 2018 at 7:53 am I finally got to meet Tony Athens and his wife Donna this past week on Long Boat Key FL. Couple days on the beach, half day fishing charter on Tampa Bay fishing the mangroves, couple of dinners…one prepared by Tony’s wife who cooked up the spanish mackeral and sea trout we caught. One small barracuda, snook release (season closed for snook) lady fish and more. The fishing was very good with live bait. The skipper of the 1/2 day chart…

Started by:  Bill Desmarais

2 Replies
      October 24, 2018 at 6:08 am Corey Schmidt wrote: Wish we could have been there with you guys… glad you had a great trip! “next year”……”or we may fly out your way before then” ! 25 Terry Jason down east, 370 6BTA CPL 2008 ZF63A gear, 1.75" shaft, 20X19 DQX

Last Post by:  Bill Desmarais posted: 1 month ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 179 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.