This forum contains 87 topics and 543 replies, and was last updated by  Tony Athens 1 day ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 88 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 5 months ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      Reply #12 June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 5 months ago

• Using the main engine to drive my dive air compressor

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 day ago

November 21, 2017 at 1:56 pm Hi, I would like to use the main engine of our boat to drive the dive air compressor, so I can top up the dive bottles whilst under way. My question is has anyone done this and what is require? I am running 330hp Cummins Regards

Started by:  Kevin

1 Replies
      Reply #1 November 21, 2017 at 6:39 pm We have set up many commercial vessels that “main line” all of their ancillary equipment including both high & low pressure compressors that need to operate at the same time and that need to pump tanks during cruise and at idle.. Just in the last year we have done two.. It’s all done using a properly designed & set up pressure compensated hydraulic system driving the air compressor (s) you need to accomplish the task.…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 day ago

• Bertram 31 – Full Restoration 1 2 3

This topic has 45 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Niels Mastrup 2 days ago

May 9, 2017 at 7:57 pm I purchased a Bertram 31 FBC mid last year following multiple years of looking at various fishing boats. It is in fair condition with a sound hull making it my ideal choice for a project boat. I have trolled the various websites detailing project boats and have seen several that caught my eye and with Tony’s input started to put together a project list to start the discussion on final project scope. We hope to get started in the next 30-60…

Started by:  Niels Mastrup

45 Replies
      Reply #45 November 20, 2017 at 12:46 pm Thank you for the update Corey, very pleased with the progress and look forward to more pictures as project makes progress. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the team at Seaboard! Niels

Last Post by:  Niels Mastrup posted: 2 days ago

• Black smoke

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 6 days ago

November 15, 2017 at 10:20 pm Ok, before I order a couple of new air filters for my 6 BTA 5.9’s I have in my cart, I would very much appreciate any info on whether if there may be another related issue to my engines (black) smoking a bit- at all speeds including idle. Leaving a lot of dreaded nasty soot stains on the stern. Other than that, the boat runs like a beast. The boat is a sea ray 370 sedan bridge and the engines have only 1700 hrs on complete overhauls. …

Started by:  captscottc

4 Replies
      Reply #4 November 16, 2017 at 8:41 pm Now we are down to this if you want to sort this out. 1) I want a full picture of the boat the engines are installed in 2) I want engine serial numbers 3) I want to know your wide oped throttle RPM wne the vessel is fully loaded 4) I want to SEE the engines as installed in the vessel 5) At what RPM do you CRUISE at and what is the vessel speed at that RPM 5 very easy questions that need specific answers/pictures.. Then, I will be in a much be…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 6 days ago

• Leave tank full all winter or leave room for fresh fuel?

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bill Desmarais 1 week ago

November 12, 2017 at 6:38 pm Whats the best thing for the fuel tank/system or does it matter. Should l fill it up and let it sit since my boat isn’t used as much in the winter or leave it 1/2 full so to put fresh fuel in come spring? What’s the consensus or is there one?

Started by:  Joe Monaco

1 Replies
      Reply #1 November 13, 2017 at 6:36 am Joe, I’m up here in MA/NH. I don’t recall ever treating a diesel fuel tank for winter layup and I put the boats away with whatever amount is in the tank. Never an issue. Regards, Bill D 25 Terry Jason down east, 370 6BTA 28 Henriques Sport Fish, twin Volvo 200 41 PA s

Last Post by:  Bill Desmarais posted: 1 week ago

• What do these plugs go to?

This topic has 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 weeks ago

November 6, 2017 at 8:11 am Anyone recognize these electrical connections ? One plug on each side of the cockpit forward under the gunnel. Not sure what would plug into these. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

6 Replies
      Reply #6 November 7, 2017 at 8:20 am It’s just one of these universal outlet so you’ll likely never know exactly unless you happen to find something like a spotlight hidden under a bunk, etc.. https://www.wholesalemarine.com/polarized-cable-outlet.html Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 weeks ago

• Prop speed opinions

This topic has 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 weeks ago

November 4, 2017 at 2:28 pm having the bottom painted was wondering about recent experiences or opinions of prop speed. I fish/cruise about 200 hours a year. Is it worth the expense to have this done on my 31 foot express or not really. Thanks

6 Replies
      Reply #6 November 7, 2017 at 6:38 am I don’t know the cost of bottom cleaning other than my Bro’s boat has 2X plus the amount of surface yours does.. He does this about every 5 years or so and it’s way cost effective.. Plus, at least in Calif, the bottom paint you buy now is “close to worthless” per Tim and the cost is beyond crazy………Luckly, I have only had to pull his shafts once since new……………̷…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 weeks ago

• Wolverine Time in the Northeast

This topic has 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bill Desmarais 2 weeks ago

October 17, 2017 at 5:14 am This time of year the Wolverines pan heaters are especially appreciated: This mornings “conditions”: Salon – 49 deg F and 72% humidity Engine Room – 66 deg F and 43% humidity Rob "Luck is the residue of good design." Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Rob Schepis

7 Replies
      Reply #7 November 2, 2017 at 7:32 pm I installed the 6B Wolverine oil pan heater on my new ReCon 370 before installing in the lobster boat. I changed the oil and filter a couple of months back on a 75 degree day. I did NOT warm the engine before the oil change. I pump the oil out using a Water Puppy pump attached to a drain line at the back of the oil pan. The oil I pumped out (13 qts) was hot enough to slightly burn you. 25 Terry Jason down east, 370 6BTA 28 Henriques Sport Fish…

Last Post by:  Bill Desmarais posted: 2 weeks ago

• disappearing posts

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Corey Schmidt 3 weeks ago

September 8, 2017 at 1:52 pm Three times today I replied to a thread I started and the post disappears after I edited it. any ideas?

Started by:  egstasea

5 Replies
      Reply #5 November 1, 2017 at 7:35 am I do not see you posts at all… usually if the system “flags” the post as spam, then I will see it and review it before allowing it to post to the site… Try to post again? Corey Schmidt VP, Operations Seaboard Marine, Inc.

Last Post by:  Corey Schmidt posted: 3 weeks ago

• Coolant Reaction Issue

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bill Fuller 3 weeks ago

October 28, 2017 at 6:21 pm I have experienced an adverse reaction in my antifreeze coolant and am looking for help. My new to me boat (Sept. 2016) developed an overheat on the exhaust hose. It turned out to be an exhaust elbow that was corroded. Caught it in time prior to turbo damage. As part of the work, the mechanic changed the antifreeze. The old antifreeze was green, but he put in Prestone Command Extended life (red). He did not flush, but did mix it with distilled …

Started by:  firehoser75

5 Replies
      Reply #5 October 30, 2017 at 7:34 am I agree with Tony. I can pretty much guarantee that you DID NOT have any sort of reaction between the 2 different coolants. The gen set already had the problem. You just noticed it when you started doing the maintenance. Bill F.

Last Post by:  Bill Fuller posted: 3 weeks ago

• QSM11 issues

This topic has 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tom Mann 1 month ago

October 16, 2017 at 8:34 am Hello all, I have a pair of 2004 QSM11’s recently the starboard side engine is burning a little more fuel and running 3-5 degrees hotter and 50-70 RPM’S behind the port engine. Subsequently I cannot hit 2340 at WOT. Previously both engine had no problem hitting 2340. My fuel filters, both the Racors (900’s) and the FS1009 were changed at 1180 hr, currently the engines have 1293 hrs. The bottom cleaned and props checked in th…

Started by:  Tom Mann

5 Replies
      Reply #5 October 17, 2017 at 6:15 am Hi Rob, No manifold leak, I’ve inspected the engines for soot every time I’m in the bilge. I did notice some granular black particals under the engine, not a lot maybe 1/2-1 teaspoon. I’ve noticed it 5-6 weeks ago and cleaned it up, yesterday I noticed it again. 6 weeks ago I replaced the coolant pipe that runs from the expansion tank to the thermostat housing. It had a small weep that would drip coolant down onto the heat she…

Last Post by:  Tom Mann posted: 1 month ago

• General inquiries

This topic has 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

October 16, 2017 at 8:19 pm So I recently got a spot on a crab boat here off the southern Oregon coast and they found out I had experience (although limited) in diesel mechanics. Well, they made me the boat mechanic and I’ve never worked on or learned anything about marine diesel engines. Just noticed a few differences and specifics I have some questions about. The boat I’ll be on has a new Cummins QSB 5.9 355 hp engine so I would especially like to know …

Started by:  Frank Romero

4 Replies
      Reply #4 October 17, 2017 at 4:29 am Yes implementing a squeeze bulb would be an excellent upgrade to get you back up and running as quick as possible. Otherwise it’s the IN and OUT screws and using the ignition… Here’s reading on the filtration including the common rail engines. Marine Fuel Filtration “The Seaboard Way” Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Raw water in oil

This topic has 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bill Fuller 1 month ago

October 12, 2017 at 1:55 pm My port engine has raw water in it. I have pressure tested the heat exchanger and I can’t make it leak. How did the water get in there? What a mess. Dan

Started by:  Dan Little

13 Replies
      Reply #13 October 13, 2017 at 6:38 am Check the oil cooler!!!!! I would think that it is by far the most likely place for raw water intrusion. And get the motor cleaned up ASAP. Shut off any water intakes. Pull the valve covers. Suck out with shop vac and wipe out with rags, any contaminated oil. Flush the top of the engine with ATF. Fill the pan with ATF to over full. Turn the motor over slowly by hand to mix. Pump out and repeat until clean. If the water appears to have come in v…

Last Post by:  Bill Fuller posted: 1 month ago

• Just For Fun

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bill Fuller 1 month ago

October 12, 2017 at 7:01 pm Just for fun, I thought I would post a picture of my tachs taken yesterday while fishing. I was prompted to post as somewhere a while back I heard skepticism on a boat for sale regarding both the port and starboard tachs reading exactly the same. Bill F. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Bill Fuller

2 Replies
      Reply #2 October 13, 2017 at 6:23 am Good morning Rob, Yes the 1300 RPM is tuna trolling speed (usually 1250-1400 depending on conditions). I am not fanatical about keeping the meters the same but do try to keep them close. Primarily for maintenance purposes. I fresh water flush after every trip and am able to adjust the hour meters by which motor I flush first. On the rare occasion when I have had one off by an hour or a couple of hours I just slowly adjust. I happened to look at …

• Welding and electronic engines

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Luke Nelson 1 month ago

October 6, 2017 at 5:16 pm Hi All, what is the actions to take when welding on a boat with a electronic engine. My vessel is aluminum . Is it just drop the main earth wire off the battery’s or pull the ecu connectors? Or something more? thanks Luke

Started by:  Luke Nelson

2 Replies
      Reply #2 October 7, 2017 at 4:17 pm Thanks Tony.

Last Post by:  Luke Nelson posted: 1 month ago

• Annual Maintenance

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

October 5, 2017 at 11:40 am I have performed the following annual service on my factory re-con QSB 5.9 End of season- generally September- flush engine / gen set with fresh water for 15 minutes and then antifreeze. 2015 – 75 hrs oil change Valvoline 15-40- lube and fuel filters – racors – engine zincs – 2 aftercooler 1 Heat exch 2016 – 160 hrs all above as well as raw water impeller – remove and service aftercooler by Cummins shop 2017 &…

Started by:  john maybeck

3 Replies
      Reply #3 October 7, 2017 at 12:42 pm HX end caps can safely be removed and reinstalled .. You are looking for excess/old Zinc clogging of the tubes.. Never remove the Aftercooler caps without a complete service of the engine. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• cooling sea water intake

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

September 30, 2017 at 11:17 am It has come to the time to replace my raw water intake hose – trident 250 2000 2 inch hose, can anyone recommend a different type of hose that is a little easier to work with that is safe? source etc? thanks

Started by:  Michael Black

5 Replies
      Reply #5 October 4, 2017 at 8:58 am Bill thanks for that – nothing beats “real” feedback on a product.. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Max power curve question

This topic has 17 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Bill Fuller 1 month ago

September 27, 2017 at 7:34 am I see statements that claim that unless you can reach the rated power RPM that you are over propped at any RPM. If so then I don’t understand the max power curve because that curve would seem to be the max power the engine can produce at every RPM. If I propped a 400 HP rated engine to the 200 HP rpm point and made that the max operating RPM wouldn’t I have in effect simply de rateted the engine to 200 HP and would be within safe o…

Started by:  BruM

17 Replies
      Reply #17 October 1, 2017 at 10:23 am BruM One other thing for you to contemplate. The max HP curve is generated making measurements from right to left, not left to right. The first measurement is made at 3065 RPM for our QSB-230 example. Bill F.

• Dripless seals dripping again

This topic has 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 1 month ago

September 23, 2017 at 8:00 pm Hi all, I have a 2002 31 foot express sport fisher with stock installed Chatfield Blue water marine dripless seals. When I had bough the boat 2 years ago theseals were leaking so I had the boat hauled and seals replaced. They are leaking again after about 300 hrs. Both these seals had also leaked in the boats past, the generator sits sideways between the 2 shafts, the electrical end of the generator had to be replaced and the water pump Pullys …

16 Replies
      Reply #16 October 1, 2017 at 8:46 am Here’s what I’ve learned about shaft seals. Traditional are the safest but will still drip a little. Tides are good….but, can fail if the cooling water flow is interrupted, it can cause the lip seal to seize to the shaft causing flooding and other damage. Also Lip seals eventually wear out but a spare can be left of the shaft. PSS are good…but, the hose can fail/tear causing flooding. PSS recommends replacing the hose …

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 1 month ago

• Diesel additives winter lay up

This topic has 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Barry 2 months ago

September 7, 2017 at 8:09 am I have had a diesel boat for a few years (twin 2004 370B), did a lot of research boat diesel.com, prior to this forum. I have found many opinions on diesel additives, I remember reading Tony’s opinion on additives, No additives if your source of diesel fuel is good. I have stuck to that summer and winter lay up. I don’t use my boat in the winter (upper Chesapeake MD.) and is is on the hard. Is it recommended to put an additive in …

Started by:  jdidonato333

4 Replies
      Reply #4 September 21, 2017 at 7:20 pm Subscribed for the answer. Meridian 391 with twin qsb 6.7 about ready for a wet PNW winter

Last Post by:  Barry posted: 2 months ago

• Leaking Gasket at Turbo to Exhaust Manifold on 6CTA8.3

This topic has 14 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 months ago

September 17, 2017 at 1:53 pm Hello, I am new to the site… I recently identified a coolant leak at the site were the turbo to exhaust manifold gasket is on the starboard engine on a cummins 6CTA 8.3M. The leak appeared to only occur when the engine was operated above 2000 rpm. The gasket on the port engine was not leaking. The engines have about 1660 hours on them. I employed a cummins mechanic to change the turbo to exhaust manifold gasket on the starboard engine t…

Started by:  Terry

14 Replies
      Reply #14 September 21, 2017 at 3:39 am Thanks for the follow-up. 99.9% you will be just fine. Just thought the mechanic would have gone a tad overboard on his “redo”….. Let us know how it goes when you give the service manager a copy of Tony’s Tips – just make sure they’ve made up your invoice already! Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.