This forum contains 121 topics and 805 replies, and was last updated by  james 2 days ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 122 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 10 months ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      Reply #12 June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 10 months ago

• Electrolysis eating fuel coolers

This topic has 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by james 2 days ago

April 16, 2018 at 3:16 pm I own a 2005 Searay 39 Dancer with cummins 5.9 qsb’s. The starboard fuel cooler let go & racor water alarm goes off. I have owned the boat since new. 1st cooler let go in 2011 at 600 hours. Replaced cooler ran ok for 2 years (200 hrs) then let go again. I have replaced every 2 years since. All my zincs on starboard side( lower after cooler, trim tabs, water strainer pick ups for starboard engine, a/c all only last 3 months. The starboa…

Started by:  Europeanautoctr

5 Replies
      Reply #5 April 17, 2018 at 4:21 am I was having trouble with exessive zinc consumption and had a galvanic survey performed. The system was entirely intact and we were puzzled. We then did a check of the power post on the dock. What we found is the power post was sending .005 volts back to the boat, causing all my issues. We installed a galvanic isolator and zinc consumption became consistent with my neighbors.

Last Post by:  james posted: 2 days ago

• steering line replacement. 1 2 3

This topic has 44 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by john 6 days ago

February 15, 2018 at 8:15 pm I have a job that the owner of a older 38 Bertram wants the lower steering lines/hoses replaced. Its a capilano steering system. I guess now its seastar solutions. There specs say copper or 1000 psi equivalent hydraulic hose. Copper is going to be tough as its a old boat and ots just not that easy to run the lines with bends. Looking for ideas on the hydraulic hose to use. Stainless jic in some areas like the rudder most likely. Very pricey th…

Started by:  john

44 Replies
      Reply #44 April 12, 2018 at 2:43 pm Before and after Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  john posted: 6 days ago

• Installing SMX1730 pump

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Roger Howell 1 week ago

April 8, 2018 at 10:52 am Hi, I have ordered and installed a SMX1730 raw water pump on my new to me 2001 Cummins 6 cta 8.3 450. Is the pump bi directional, or is there a specific inlet and outlet port? Hopefully I have not installed it upside down. Still a while in Maine before I can run the engine to check water flow without rewinterizing. Thanks for your help. Roger Roger

Started by:  Roger Howell

4 Replies
      Reply #4 April 11, 2018 at 3:52 pm Thanks Roger Roger

Last Post by:  Roger Howell posted: 1 week ago

• Accidental cruise power shut down, any damage?

This topic has 0 replies, has 1 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 1 week ago

April 8, 2018 at 11:51 am Just serviced oil and heading back to the slip. Motors are at cruise power about 2200 rpm of 2880. I hit a wave while reaching for the trim switch and my fat finger bumped the stop switch on the port engine shutting it down. Stopped the boat, tried to restart and couldn’t get the mistaken shut down motor to turn over. Finally realize it was still in gear put it in nuetral and started right up. The boat ran fine home but now I’m obsessing tha…

Started by:  Joe Monaco

0 Replies
      Reply #0 April 8, 2018 at 11:51 am Just serviced oil and heading back to the slip. Motors are at cruise power about 2200 rpm of 2880. I hit a wave while reaching for the trim switch and my fat finger bumped the stop switch on the port engine shutting it down. Stopped the boat, tried to restart and couldn’t get the mistaken shut down motor to turn over. Finally realize it was still in gear put it in nuetral and started right up. The boat ran fine home but now I’m obsessing tha…

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 1 week ago

• Yanmar 4cyl vs Yanmar 6cyl

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 week ago

April 5, 2018 at 11:18 am In general, for my search for a boat I have searched only for those with Cummins Engines. Parts are cheap and available, and mechanics are readily available to work on them. However, there are some boats that I might consider that come up with the Yanmar engines such as the 6LPAs and the 240HP 4 cyl. I have eliminated the 6 cyl from consideration for such things as Valve seal issues and more stringent maintenance requirements. But how about the…

Started by:  Raymond Slingerland

5 Replies
      Reply #5 April 7, 2018 at 10:10 am Bill, I’m on your side…………Cummins never produced an engine in this size that could come close the the overall quality of 4LHA…..IMO , 4BTA was sad attempt……To bad they Yanmar never made it in a Common Rail engine but instead wasted their $$ on the 6LY (that engine could never compete w/ the QSB) and those “BMW chainsaw diesels” that are already obsolete… I will mention the 3 yr o…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 week ago

• Excessive Engine Oil Consumption

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Philip 1 week ago

April 6, 2018 at 7:16 am Hi All, We have noted that our engin oil consumption is too high, so we have decided to measure its blowby? My question is how can we troublshoot the BlowBy and is there any other root causes for this matter? Thank you very much.

Started by:  Mohamed Oueslati

1 Replies
      Reply #1 April 6, 2018 at 9:10 am Hi Mohamed and welcome You left a lot of information out of your initial post. You will find short posts get short to no answers so how about filling in the blanks 1. What engine model, year, serial, cpl 2. Hours, maintenance history, salt/fresh water 3. How do you change and fill oil, how many qts do you use 4. Out burn quantity per hours use 5. Smoke at start up? Color? 6. Smoke running? Color? 7. Please post up some pictures of your engine(s)…

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 1 week ago

• Engine Vibration.

This topic has 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 week ago

April 4, 2018 at 7:30 pm Hi Guys we have had an on going problem with a vibration on our Stbd engine. Background Several years ago we had the STBD shaft pulled to replace a cutlass bearing and then developed a vibration. I showed the mechanic who did the work and he blamed the engine mounts. funny how no vibration before the work and a week on the hard and a new cutlass and it has a vibration hmmmmm. When the boat got pulled next I got a call from the yard telling …

Started by:  amgrant1979

7 Replies
      Reply #7 April 6, 2018 at 5:03 am By eye, no gauge? We’re talking thousandths of an inch.. Has someone put a feeler gauge to the couplers? How about those pics Phil requested? Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 week ago

• Fuel Filter Gauge

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 weeks ago

April 1, 2018 at 1:25 pm Firstly, apologies as i have been away from the forums for most of the year so far. The boat has been working well thanks to everyone’s help, and we have been having a great fishing season so far. i’m just taking a a break this weekend for Easter. This time of the year is both our main fishing season, and also our baiting season when we work nights as well to catch ballyhoo. I was just curious about the sbmar vacuum gauges, as the…

Started by:  Gary Marshall

3 Replies
      Reply #3 April 4, 2018 at 9:57 am Gary Marshall wrote: Mannnnnn…..where is the embarrassed emoji!!!! Thanks much Rob!!! A nice easy fix! Hey, you knew enough to ask, we can’t deduct points for that! Let us know how each gauge reads.. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 weeks ago

• Thru hulls

This topic has 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 weeks ago

March 14, 2018 at 5:40 am I was going to lube up all my thru hulls while the boat was out..the engine thru hulls need an extension handle to get going .i usually use white lithium grease but was wondering if someone had a good way of freeing them up that last over time.

Started by:  William Walter

12 Replies
      Reply #12 March 30, 2018 at 4:15 am Glad it worked out Bill. Grease is good. Thanks for posting the results and making this thread full circle. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 weeks ago

• Silencing a Westerbeke?

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 3 weeks ago

March 28, 2018 at 10:34 am We are purchasing a 1998 BL 4788 with an 8KW Westerbeke in a sound shield. The sound shield has the black plastic latches and looks to be of better quality/fit than the ones I’ve seen with metal latches. I’ve read some posts on the Bayliner Owners Club forum (they REALLY like sbmar!) that reference an exhaust modification and since sbmar is “the” place for marine exhaust work it was recommended that I post here for advice.…

Started by:  Gordon Lewandowski

3 Replies
      Reply #3 March 28, 2018 at 6:07 pm How is the condition of the insulating material within the sound shield unit? Is it dried out and falling apart? As to exhaust noise, once we see the pics it can be determined if you have the room to make things better….. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 3 weeks ago

• Bertram 31 – Full Restoration 1 2 3

This topic has 51 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Jason Reimer 3 weeks ago

May 9, 2017 at 7:57 pm I purchased a Bertram 31 FBC mid last year following multiple years of looking at various fishing boats. It is in fair condition with a sound hull making it my ideal choice for a project boat. I have trolled the various websites detailing project boats and have seen several that caught my eye and with Tony’s input started to put together a project list to start the discussion on final project scope. We hope to get started in the next 30-60…

Started by:  Niels Mastrup

51 Replies
      Reply #51 March 27, 2018 at 9:48 am Corey how’s the progress coming on the Bertram do you have any updated pictures? Did you guys guys have to beef up engine stringers or did you just through bolt and epoxy aluminum for engine mounts?

Last Post by:  Jason Reimer posted: 3 weeks ago

• East Coast SBMarine equivelant?

This topic has 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 3 weeks ago

March 16, 2018 at 8:42 am Howdy forumites! I bought a 2000 30’ Mainship Pilot, single Cummins 6BTA 5.9 210hp, last season in New York. I love the Seaboard Marine resources, forum, website, etc, and I’m wondering if anyone here has info regarding an equally experienced and trustworthy shop/mechanic in the New York area. Specifically I’m up the Hudson River about 70NM from the GW bridge, at the Roundout Creek of Kingston, NY. I don’t mind taking the boat to a good …

Started by:  Alex Adams

11 Replies
      Reply #11 March 23, 2018 at 5:20 am Alex, As to cleaning and painting in tight areas — Remove anything loose with small detail ss brushes – a new clean one, not ones that are already embedded with grease, oil, dirt, etc. Clean with a degreaser, I like the zep all-purpose or citrus cleaner/degreasers. Paint via a small brush and a can of Rustoleum. What’s nice about the cans is that if you want to tint the paint to match something you can, like adding almond t…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 3 weeks ago

• 9KW Onan Generator 1996

This topic has 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

June 19, 2017 at 5:18 pm Has anyone had a issue with a 9KW Onan Rotor? If so did find the part? My local Cummings/Onan service shop say they discontinued the part. Not sure if they make one yet under a different part number, but it’s not looking promising. Does anyone know if the engine, which is a 3 cylinder Kubota can be adapted to a different Stator/rotar assembly? Any help would be appreciated.

Started by:  Bruce Boyce

11 Replies
      Reply #11 March 9, 2018 at 6:04 pm Sherlywang, You do now this is a “Marine Engine” forum 100% related to boats & marine applications centered around Mid-range Cummins Marine diesel engines, right??.. But it is nice to know, propane along with CNG are not all that practical in the big scheme of things……… LNG? Well, it still has along ways to go as to a marine applications like are discussed here .. Remember, LNG is a “use it or lose…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Problemas con los enfriadores de mis seductoras zf 85A

This topic has 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

January 28, 2018 at 4:29 pm Hola a todos ,como soy nuevo me presento,soy Javier y vivo en España ,un saludo a los foreros. Mi problema es que los enfriadores de las reductoras,gotean agua cada año, después de arreglarlos,y no se ya que más hacerles,son de cobre soldados con plata y muchos tapones. Alguna solución. Gracias

Started by:  Javier

9 Replies
      Reply #9 March 1, 2018 at 5:22 pm Es normal que los OEM proporcionen enfriadores de engranajes. Las actualizaciones pesadas de Sendure tienen dos puertos de zinc. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Barnacle buster para limpiar circuito agua salada

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 months ago

February 16, 2018 at 12:49 am Hola muy buenas ,quisiera vuestra opinión sobre la limpieza del circuito de agua salada con la recirculacion con bomba del líquido barnacle buster . Gracias

Started by:  Javier

1 Replies
      Reply #1 February 16, 2018 at 4:36 am Esa puede ser una solución rápida para ayudar a resolver un problema de aumento de temperatura, pero esa no es la manera correcta de reparar los componentes de agua de mar. Nada reemplaza la eliminación de los refrigeradores para una limpieza adecuada y pruebas de presión. Y eso definitivamente no hará nada para extender la vida de sus posenfriadores. Recuerda esta publicación: https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/postenfriadores-con-700-…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 months ago

• Cross connecting fuel supplies

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Philip 2 months ago

February 13, 2018 at 12:56 pm This sounds suspect but I figured I’d throw it out there for comment…. The theory is to plumb a cross connect fuel line between last chance filters on a dual engine setup so that an operating engine can supply pressurized fuel to prime the other engine. Simple idea? Maybe, but I wonder if it’s introducing a liability that’s not needed. I know there are primer bulb setups that do a safe and reliable job. And if you know what your doi…

Started by:  Philip

2 Replies
      Reply #2 February 15, 2018 at 4:01 pm Had no intention of doing it unless this uncovered something amazing…

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 2 months ago

• QSM 11 Mysterious shutdowns

This topic has 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Philip 2 months ago

February 8, 2018 at 1:19 pm I have a pair of QSM 11s in a 2008, 50′ Altima trawler. I have owned the boat for 3 months and recently the starboard engine will shut down for no obvious reason. I am in south Florida with mild temps. The engine runs perfectly and suddenly turns off ( usually after operating for 30 minutes to an hour) as if I had pressed the shutdown switch and turned off the ignition. When this occurs the ignition to the starboard engine is dead i.e. no…

Started by:  Rich Dancaster

6 Replies
      Reply #6 February 14, 2018 at 10:26 am Glad you were persistsnd and found the issue! I assume a little cleaning and WD solved the issue….

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 2 months ago

• Groco Hull Strainer

This topic has 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dan 2 months ago

February 17, 2017 at 6:41 am I’m looking at replacing my engine intake strainers to the groco hinged door style due to the oyster growth that occurs inside my present intakes,keeping them clean is virtually impossible. Anyone have experience with the groco hinged door intakes or a similar brand? Also what would be the size best suited for my application? 250 HP 4bta’s Thanks Dan   Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Dan

9 Replies
      Reply #9 February 13, 2018 at 2:52 pm Tony, Sorry for the delay,appreciate the response and advice – thank you. Dan

Last Post by:  Dan posted: 2 months ago

• Pyro Temperture

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by roberto pesant 2 months ago

February 7, 2018 at 2:33 pm I have a 30′ Egret with a straight shaft Yanmar 6LP 315 HP. The prop is 20X24 three blade. The dry weight on the boat is 5,000 LBS, fuel capacity is 210 Gallons and the bait well is 100 Gallons. The boat at half fuel and full bait well turns 4000 to 4100 RPM. We run the boat at 3000 RPM. We recently added an SMX Pyro Gauge. The prove is in the dry riser about 2 inches from the turbo exit flange. The temperature is constant 670 at cruise.…

Started by:  roberto pesant

2 Replies
      Reply #2 February 8, 2018 at 8:09 am Thank you Tony. I will post the pictures on Saturday. rpesant

Last Post by:  roberto pesant posted: 2 months ago

• de-grease and paint

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 months ago

February 7, 2018 at 7:25 am Any suggestions on cleaners or paractices to de-grease prior to paint touch up? Motors are in “good” shape but want to get some fresh paint on them as we service this winter. Grant Tankoos Legacy 34 - Twin 6BTA's Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Grant Tankoos

1 Replies
      Reply #1 February 7, 2018 at 7:33 am I’ve been quite satisfied with Zep Commercial Heavy-Duty Citrus Degreaser Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.