This forum contains 219 topics and 1,308 reply, and was last updated by  Rob Schepis 1 week ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 220 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 2 years ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 2 years ago

• Prop speed, worth doing? 1 2

This topic has 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 week ago

March 1, 2019 at 12:30 pm Thinking of trying some new ACME props and wondering while I’m at it if I should put prop speed on the running gear. Has anyone had experience with this product?

Started by:  Joe Monaco

24 Replies
      June 17, 2019 at 12:08 pm Interesting. So you’ll need Floscans or electronic engines. With all the other expenses that Oceanmax is incurring you’d think they would just offer a fuel stipend for the sea trials. I wonder if they will pay to remove the coatings at the end if the owner wishes to have that done… Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 week ago

• What size are my fuel hoses?

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 2 weeks ago

June 10, 2019 at 9:01 am I’ve got CAT 3126 420 HP motors. The CAT part fuel hose on the governor is 3/8 inch. Would CABO put the same size line for the fuel hoses to the engine or would they up it to 1/2 inch? I’m adding a fuel flow sensor and trying to figure out what size barb setup to order. The hoses have numbers on them but no sizing info. Thanks for any help. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

2 Replies
      June 10, 2019 at 1:24 pm Thanks Rob! I was hoping those numbers would mean something to someone. Obviously I didn’t even notice the one that mattered. Great catch!

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 2 weeks ago

• northern lights oil leak

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tom Gaddis 2 weeks ago

June 3, 2019 at 3:47 pm NL 10kW model M843JK. Had a few drips near electrical end first. Worsened after oil change then seemed to stop. Changed out exhaust elbow and when running to check after that found this dripping. Thoughts? Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Tom Gaddis

2 Replies
      June 6, 2019 at 3:59 am The recent oil change i filled back close to the full mark on stick whereas I usually only go to half way between the full and add marks. Will watch and monitor as a rear main seal leak will mean that genset has to be pulled from engine room and only want to do that if convinced seal is the issue. Thanks for the response.

Last Post by:  Tom Gaddis posted: 2 weeks ago

• New boat, new to diesels

This topic has 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Brad Arrington 2 weeks ago

April 17, 2019 at 12:16 pm Hi all, I’ve put in an offer on a new boat and am getting ready to see it for the first time. Coming from a freshwater cooled Mercruiser outdrive setup, the transition to a straight shaft diesel is quite a change. I’ve been doing some research but still feel very much the newbie. What kinds of things should I look for upon my initial viewing of the boat? Assuming all goes well, what kinds of things are important that I should do re…

Started by:  Brad Arrington

15 Replies
      June 4, 2019 at 6:31 pm Had the sea trial today and though I would close the loop. The surveyor uncovered a few issues. Let’s start with the minor ones and work up. Leaking hot water heater pressure relief valve. Shower sump box pump inoperative. Overflowing directly into the engine bilge. Water leak near generator (source unknown – not from genny. Finicky electric stove. 1 of 3 AC units is bad (no cooling) When on generator, the main breakers tripped …

Last Post by:  Brad Arrington posted: 2 weeks ago

• Volvo TMD 100s EGT Questions

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

May 16, 2019 at 1:24 pm Is there a generic rule-of-thumb for the temperature drop across the turbo? As there is no port at the exit of the exhaust manifold on my engines, my probes are at the exit of the turbos. After much searching and many emails I have been unable to locate recommended EGT readings for my twin Volvo TMD 100 engines… any help would be appreciated! T Seal PS: Will an infrared heat measurement gun provide accurate temperature measurements wh…

Started by:  Trevor Seal

2 Replies
      May 21, 2019 at 1:28 pm EGT — both before and after a turbo? Never seen a “rule of thumb” but reading various data sheets would seem to indicate a 250-350F drop. This is from looking at both Cummins a very recent Cat C7.1 data.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• 6BT maxing out at 2000 rpm's

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by daniel girard 1 month ago

May 21, 2019 at 6:33 am I just purchased a 1989 Blue Seas 31 with a 6BT Cummins, 20 x 16 prop (original spec prop), 1950 hours on engine. With full water tanks and fuel tanks (260 gallons total) and three people on board I am maxing out at 2000 RPM’s at 10 knots. Engine runs great, boat yard mechanic told me I need to have prop mapped and drop to a 14″ pitch to reach 2650 rpm’s. Any thoughts? Thanks

Started by:  daniel girard

4 Replies
      May 21, 2019 at 9:42 am Thank You, I will go through the low power troubleshooting list. Throttle linkage does hit the stop, before my 8 hour shake down cruise the racor 500 filter was changed (filter was plugged up) and bowl was cleaned of mud like material, the spin on filter has not been changed yet. The racor did not plug up during the 8 hour trip and no mud in bowl. There is no black smoke just a hint of white smoke.

Last Post by:  daniel girard posted: 1 month ago

• QSM-11 – Oil Pan Leak

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Philip 1 month ago

May 14, 2019 at 1:54 pm All, Have a QSM-11- 2005.. 1100 hours.. developed a leak, outboard side (port Engine), appears to be under / next too the Fuel Cooler. Bolts for oil pan appear to be clean, no obvious leaks from the bolt or gasket. mechanic has been on boat twice changing a few bolts, said he fixed it.. 3rd time he jumped on board, now he says its a ‘cracked oil pan’.. I will say, over this past weekend, went for a quick ride (maybe 3 miles to and …

Started by:  Glenn Niccolai

3 Replies
      May 19, 2019 at 2:20 pm Ya, looks like a crack from the pictures. It’s worth sanding the paint off to confirm its in the metal and not just the pain. Other than that there really is no other option other than a new pan. Hopefully it can be done without jacking up the engine saving some alignment time. Phil

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 1 month ago

• Envirovent install- help

This topic has 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Brian Katz 1 month ago

April 20, 2019 at 3:55 pm Hi guys, 6bta Cummins, i am installing Envirovent to stop my air breathers from puking oil… see the amount of oil that poured out upon removing air filter. Not sure how these engines were breathing. The walker sep had a small oil line On the very back, i believe it is an oil line draining back into the oil pan through a small filter. This kit came with no instructions. Just parts, I never like to see that but it seems pretty self expla…

Started by:  Brad Fausett

10 Replies
      May 14, 2019 at 11:25 am It’s a few weeks late but maybe someone looking for the information may come across it. The plug size to remove the entire drain back line is 9/16 SAE or know as a -6 ORB plug. I bought one from my local hose and clamp shop but you can find them on Amazon or Ebay. Remove the line when you do an oil change and pan is empty. Asking for a -6 ORB plug is probably the simplest way to describe it. Perform the PM before your engines takes a BM.

Last Post by:  Brian Katz posted: 1 month ago

• Stack EGT drops at higher RPM?

This topic has 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Larry Backman 1 month ago

May 3, 2019 at 9:11 pm Looking at the below chart I noticed the exhaust manifold temps increase steadily with engine RPM but exhaust stack temperatures decreases from 2400 rpm to 2600 rpm in the 420 And 385 HP version. All 3 HP ratings have this drop. On other boards folks comment they “discovered” with EGT gauges that their motors are “working less” at higher RPMs due to a drop in the stack EGT. They increase RPMs at cruise to get this EGT drop thinking th…

9 Replies
      May 13, 2019 at 5:03 pm The sea conditions I was in were honest 4’ seas with the odd 6 footer mixed in coming from about 8 o’clock. I could not run my normal 20 knot plane without burying the bow so I dropped down to the speed where the boat was barely in plane at about 15-16 knots to stay behind the seas. I was really going uphill on th backs of waves the entire way home. This put me in the max. Torque and heat range for the QSM for those 6 hours which combined…

Last Post by:  Larry Backman posted: 1 month ago

• Battery

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

May 4, 2019 at 6:34 am I have 2 6CTA motors (1500 hrs) and each has an 8D starting battery. I have to replace one and would like to switch to something more portable. What are some reasonable alternatives? I have a Pro Mariner charger that supports gel or lead acid. Also, what is the best procedure for ensuring the alternator is not over charging? That might have been the reason one of the 8D’s over temped. Thanks, Steve

Started by:  Steve

4 Replies
      May 7, 2019 at 5:23 am Steve, One DVM for the bank. My house DVM is monitoring a house bank of four 6v golf car batts in series/parallel. Works great. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Vdo gauges and Cummins 370 6bta

This topic has 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jason Fanghella 1 month ago

April 25, 2019 at 4:24 pm Long time lurker and learner never posted anything yet but looking for some help. I have a 2002 topaz with twin 370 6bta Cummins and running VDO gauges. I’m trying to figure out why my port tach doesn’t work until around 2400 rpm but isn’t actually accurate and doesn’t show any higher no matter what rpm. While my starboard tach just started doing almost the complete opposite. Once I hit about 1600 rpm the starboard tach goes to zero and …

Started by:  Jason Fanghella

5 Replies
      May 3, 2019 at 12:34 pm Hi tony I apologize for the bad picture of the solenoid. It actually turned out to not be the heater. After a long week of testing and running everything I think I have it narrowed down to the actual harness to the gauges and it looks like I will be getting a pair of your SMX analog to digital 6bta gauges. Looking forward to working with you and seeing how great these come out.

Last Post by:  Jason Fanghella posted: 1 month ago

• Prop load vs fuel burn vs overloaded.

This topic has 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 1 month ago

April 30, 2019 at 11:37 am I was rereading props move boats engines just turn them. I understand it’s possible to load an engine rated at say 500 HP @ 2800 WOT rpm to produce 500 HP at say 2000 WOT RPM (overpropped) and the fuel burn in both cases should be the same as published on the manufacturers charts, correct? There is damage being done even if the engine is maintaining a proper temperature, I get that. I’m trying to understand what actually is damaging the en…

5 Replies
      May 3, 2019 at 9:25 am Anybody ever here of this company and it’s fuel flow options? https://shop.interactio.co/collections/frontpage/products/4-optio-fuel-wireless-flow-sensors-twin-diesel-bundle

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 1 month ago

• After Cooler – QSL9

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

April 28, 2019 at 2:29 pm Cleaning the After Cooler today. Not to bad. Question….did you once say that the 4 Vinyl Strips are no longer used???? A little tip to break the Fin Bundle loose. Use an old large Oil Filter Wrench with a 1/2 in. Ratchet. Place on one of the exposed ends and tighten up on the wrench until the Bundle breaks loose.

Started by:  Raymond W Smith

1 Reply
      April 28, 2019 at 3:48 pm Yes———–Toss the silicone seal strips.. It the oil filter wrench helped, GOOD IDEA.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

• Seawater Pump

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

April 27, 2019 at 5:58 am Ref the 1730 Seawater Gasket & O-Ring Kit. Sherwood & SMX. What is the difference and which should i use. QSL9 Ser. # 465258 66 – Control parts list 8419.

1 Reply
      April 27, 2019 at 6:51 am QSL9 says it all.. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

• Maintenance

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 months ago

April 23, 2019 at 5:43 pm Have a 2006 QSL9 with 5000 Engine Hours. I Cruise from 1020 RPM (8.5 MPH) to 1350 RPM (10.0 MPH). Change Oil every 200 Hours. Shell Rotella 15/40. 2006 40 Foot Sedan Trawler!!!. What maintenance should i be having done at this stage of the game. Getting ready to service the After Cooler for the 2nd time. Valves were adjusted at 2000 hours.

1 Reply
      April 23, 2019 at 6:50 pm Here is the long term key, based on what you just posted——————-As long as you do the aftercooler per my protocol every 2 yrs( hours do not matter if you are in saltwater) , your exhaust system does not let water into your turbo, and you keep the rest the the cooling system up to spec along with all of the rotating devices on the front of the engine, expect 25000-30000++++++++ hours before you will be looking …

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 months ago

• SMX filters versus Racors

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Raymond Slingerland 2 months ago

April 19, 2019 at 5:53 pm New boat to us. 970 CPL, 300 hp engines with some updates. Changing all the filters etc. Noted Racor 900s had water in them. One 300 gal. Tank. One filler station. Don’t like messing with the Racors. Changed from them on previous boat with the SMX double doubles and squeeze bulb primers. Still have 4 of the 1000 filters and 3 of the 19513 filters. Is there a shelf life for them? Probably 4 years old stored in a humidity controlled room. …

Started by:  Raymond Slingerland

4 Replies
      April 21, 2019 at 10:05 am Tony, great reply, gives me more things to look at. I also like your double double filter system since I had them on my previous boat. But at age 85 the agreement with my son-in-law is “I’ll buy the next boat but you have to maintain it”, My mistake was not letting him work with the Racors this time and I think that would have sealed the deal. Still have three Racors left that came with the boat, and will let him do them next t…

Last Post by:  Raymond Slingerland posted: 2 months ago

• Let\'s all take a moment

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 2 months ago

April 15, 2019 at 7:24 pm Seaboard Forums, I spent the entire afternoon watching in disbelief as Notre Dame in Paris France burned. As I reflect on life, I am struck by the simple fact that everyone here on the forum are able to enjoy one of the most amazing joys of life. A day on the water. No mater how much we lament a particular challenge we should all take stock and appreciate what we have. The ability to spend time with our families and loved ones on the water. To…

Started by:  Steve Lewis

1 Reply
      April 16, 2019 at 7:25 am Well said Steve. Thanks.

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 2 months ago

• Update: ACME prop swap and performance results.

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 2 months ago

April 11, 2019 at 8:24 am I have CAT 420 HP @ 2800 rpm. 1 3/4 inch shaft, 1:48 trans. I had 4 blade stock props, 20 x 24. Not sure of cup. Old props WOT 2850 with laser tac. I included my low tec test results below. Sea trialed props on the same day, old props and bottom cleaned day before. Looked great when hauled. Boat was loaded with full fuel and water but just me, probably up to 1500lbs missing from normal trip weight, crew, ice and bait tank water etc. Jim @ ACM…

2 Replies
      April 12, 2019 at 7:09 am Interesting results to say the least. When I bought this boat 4 years ago I had the original props pulled and sent to prop shop, class 1. I monitored the performance of the boat over these past few years and my mileage has been about .85 NMPG. I won’t know for sure until I do several trips what eal world burn now is. If I use CATs GPH burn numbers at 2200-2300 rpm and the new props boat speed I’m looking at 1 NMPG. Pretty impressive rang…

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 2 months ago

• Cummins repower exhaust questions

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by matt.schaefer86 2 months ago

March 29, 2019 at 8:08 pm The 33 Tiara repower questions continue. The boat currently has 3208t 320hp. With lift mufflers. It appears that it is going to be quite difficult to switch away from the lift mufflers because of space constraints. What is this forums opinion on this style of exhaust. Also, the boat has a bypass raw water cooling line that dumps at the end of the exhaust. I believe this is because of the lift muffler. If I was to reuse the lift muffler system. …

Started by:  matt.schaefer86

3 Replies
      April 4, 2019 at 5:01 am Thanks Tony for your thoughts. Hopefully these pics tell the story. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  matt.schaefer86 posted: 2 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 220 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.