This forum contains 247 topics and 1,421 reply, and was last updated by  worldcatlemon 1 hour ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 248 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 2 years ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 2 years ago

• Aftercooler corrosion on 5.9 qsb

This topic has 0 replies, has 1 voices, and was last updated by worldcatlemon 1 hour ago

October 20, 2019 at 8:39 pm How much corrosion/pitting on the sealing surface between the core and the housing is ok to just grease up and reassemble? And would it be beneficial to have the surface machined smooth then reassemble? Thanks

Started by:  worldcatlemon

0 Replies - Can you Help? ...be the First to Respond!

• Hydraulic steering sizing

This topic has 18 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Larry aberg 5 days ago

August 19, 2019 at 3:57 pm I I need help on figuring out how to improve the hydraulic steering system on my 55 ft powerboat. The issue is during conditions when we are running with waves and surfing down the waves the forces on the steering wheel are more than the system can exert. The wheel is solid no matter what force you apply to the wheel We generally pull the power back to slow down or end up doing lots of S turns down the coast. It doesnt take much of a swell to pu…

Started by:  Larry aberg

18 Replies
      October 15, 2019 at 9:09 am I will get those center line dimensions this weekend. When hard to port, the port rudder is 45 + degrees but the starboard rudder is 29 +/- degrees. Hard to starboard the dimensions flop port rudder is 29 +/- and starboard rudder 45. The tie bar adjustments are max in the shortest dimension. Looks like the bar might be too long? I Larry

Last Post by:  Larry aberg posted: 5 days ago

• Yanmar 6LPA Intercooler

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by john plachtyna 1 week ago

October 9, 2019 at 7:04 pm I would like to service my Yanmar 6PLA Intercooler this off season. I believe I am familiar with the process from diagrams and info on your site. Can you describe how to pressure test it after servicing? Pressure amount and how long? Thanks for any advice.

Started by:  john plachtyna

3 Replies
      October 10, 2019 at 6:50 pm Guys, Thanks for the advice. I assumed after reassembly you would pressure test the unit as a whole. I understand some creativity is necessary to seal off the air or water ends. I was not aware that the core could also be tested separately, although this would not test the gasket seals also?

Last Post by:  john plachtyna posted: 1 week ago

• ONAN Generator Issue

This topic has 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 week ago

June 4, 2017 at 5:57 am I have a 4kw onan MDK genset. Last fall I had to replace the pan and had no luck finding an onan part. Long story short, I found the KUBOTA pan that ONAN had marinized and installed it. Only difference is I now have to drain the pan through the dipstick. The pan dimensions were the same as I placed them side by side and compared. Fast forward two months. First trip out was in February, a flat calm day. Generator runs great all day. Secon…

Started by:  Roger bing

11 Replies
      October 9, 2019 at 10:29 am Good that the system protected itself. Thanks for posting the end result. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 week ago

• Holy plugged aftercooler!!

This topic has 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by john 1 week ago

September 26, 2019 at 7:43 pm This is a seriously plugged aftercooler. Said it was serviced three years ago. I’m questioning that. New one coming from seaboard to say the least. Service them sooner than later!! Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  john

7 Replies
      October 7, 2019 at 7:24 am Well I replaced the aftercooler and the boat ran great. I think it’s overpropped but that’s another problem. Looking at everything it was a core failure to me. It came out though it may have been five years since the service on it. Now for a new raw water pump. I’m going to have seaboard t shirts for every day of the week the way things are going Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  john posted: 1 week ago

• Looking for engine information

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 week ago

October 6, 2019 at 3:56 pm Is there a place where I can enter the serial numbers of my engines to see their exact specifications? All I know is there 6BTA 5.9-MS-Turbo and I can’t seem to find this model listed. Thanks.

Started by:  Wade Mac

2 Replies
      October 7, 2019 at 4:46 am https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 week ago

• Wolverine on gear, not engine?

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Larry Backman 2 weeks ago

October 5, 2019 at 12:35 pm The wolverine under my QSM burned out. The bottom of the engine is unreachable as the engine is set down into the keel of a down east boat. I don’t have the requisite 3×4” space on the side of the block to install that was as was once suggested by Tony. I do however have easy access to both sides of my ZF-310 gear which holds 2 gallons of oil. Would installing a proper sized wolverine for a 2 gallon capacity gear over time transfe…

Started by:  Larry Backman

2 Replies
      October 6, 2019 at 3:52 am Wow! I’ve looked at the aides of the block 100 times, never thought of that idea, Easy access and easy to watch and monitor, thank you!

Last Post by:  Larry Backman posted: 2 weeks ago

• Help Please! 6bta 370 Envirovent Collapsed

This topic has 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 weeks ago

September 1, 2019 at 9:23 am I am about 4 hours from home and Starboard dropped rom to 1800 rpm and won’t exceed it. Started getting some black smoke. Installed envirovent system at beginning of this year. Engine room is clean, air filters were clean and red. Starboard has turned solid black, collapsed in on itself and oil catch bottle is sucked in. Engine is starving. How can this happen? What is going on, next steps? 2004 Meridian 411

Started by:  Brad Fausett

4 Replies
      October 2, 2019 at 6:19 pm Brad Waiting for pictures of your engine room and all the rest.. How many hours in the last 8+ months? Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 weeks ago

• engine mounts

This topic has 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 weeks ago

September 26, 2019 at 7:15 am im removing cummins 6bta’s 2003 form my boat.i have no problems with vibration just general clean up and replacing parts.What are indications on barry mounts 3349230 that they should be replaced or is it just a good practice after 15yrs to replace.Thanx for help.i can send pictures if it helps

Started by:  thomas gray

4 Replies
      September 27, 2019 at 3:10 pm Attached is the last thing that I have come across put in print about Barry Mont loading and “snubber clearances”…This came after the CMD Barry Mont notes from a few years before Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/ Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 3 weeks ago

• 3116 turbo parts

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by john 3 weeks ago

September 23, 2019 at 9:27 am I’m in the middle of going through a 3116 cat that I posted earlier in a thread of a boat I picked up in a auction. Seems the turbo sat for quite some time with water in it. Interesting enough it is cleaning up surprisingly well. I need some internal turbo parts. a seal ring and a oring and external gaskets. Having a hard time locating any parts breakdown of the turbo let alone any parts. Any Ideas where I can find some parts breakdowns o…

2 Replies
      September 26, 2019 at 8:19 pm I struckout on the turbo parts. Its a discontinued model. Have a new one coming next week.

Last Post by:  john posted: 3 weeks ago

• Primary Bulk and 2nd Fuel Filter

This topic has 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 3 weeks ago

September 20, 2019 at 1:10 pm Looking for a primary bulk and 2nd filter system. Min requirement is 120 gal/hr flow. There is a double water sept. and a on engine filter now. For the primary bulk, the FS1218 ? can flow up to 250 gal/hr, seems like a good choice to me.. Looking for a 2nd stage with similar rating? (250 gal/hr) The FS1000 is about 88 gal/hr from what I can see and would like/need something bigger.. Have a recommendation?? Thanks in advance!!

Started by:  Gary

5 Replies
      September 23, 2019 at 7:56 pm .3 BAR = 8.6 Hg At a 110 GPH flow rate————————–The factory specs are well under 50% of that.. Personally, I’d be running #12 or 3/4″ ID line from the tank to the filters, regardless of all the rest. .. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 3 weeks ago

• Anyone know what builder of this boat is?

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by john 1 month ago

September 16, 2019 at 9:06 pm I guess I’m crazy but I picked up a boat in a auctikn last week. Anyone know the builder? Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

3 Replies
      September 17, 2019 at 7:26 am Yes that makes sense. All I had was newt on the old registration. Thank you. Any owners out there want to share info on the them? Seems like a stout boat

Last Post by:  john posted: 1 month ago

• northern lights oil leak

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tom Gaddis 1 month ago

June 3, 2019 at 3:47 pm NL 10kW model M843JK. Had a few drips near electrical end first. Worsened after oil change then seemed to stop. Changed out exhaust elbow and when running to check after that found this dripping. Thoughts? Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Tom Gaddis

3 Replies
      September 16, 2019 at 7:51 am Decided to remove some oil to get level back to closer to low mark on stick. Leak stopped, gen running fine and also on close inspection of stick found someone prior had scratched a faint mark not midway between full and low but closer to low mark so suspect this was seen by a prior owner. Thanks for help and glad this was all it was. Tom

Last Post by:  Tom Gaddis posted: 1 month ago

• Engine flush fittings.

This topic has 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Wayne Spalding 1 month ago

August 16, 2019 at 8:10 am I see Seaboard has bronze in line flush fittings for cummins engines. Is there any more sizes available? I’m looking for different barb end sizes. I have a few boats I work on that I would really like to add the ability to flush easier. Most of the boats are live aboards. 1 1/4 ,1 1/2 1 inch. I probably can cobble something together but those bronze fittings are real nice.

5 Replies
      September 9, 2019 at 1:28 am QSB5.9’s. 6kw genset I just modified the top plates of the strainers- welded SS fittings- clip on a 3/4 dock hose, run for 5mins ( taste tested) genset does not require closing of seacock, engines do. Based Gold Coast, Australia general sport fishing Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Wayne Spalding posted: 1 month ago

• Cost to Repower a Farallon

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 1 month ago

August 12, 2019 at 8:55 am what does it cost to repower a boat with a Cummins motor 5.9 or 6.7? james a marich

Started by:  james a marich

3 Replies
      September 8, 2019 at 2:19 pm Repower projects most typically involve much more than just an engine swap, costs can easily double, triple or more once you get into it. Don’t want to dump ice water on your plans, but if you’re just starting up a charter business, it makes much more sense to start with a working vessel in good condition, even if it’s not exactly what you have in mind, and then later work on your dream boat after some period of profitable operation is exp…

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 1 month ago

• Cetop3 flow rates

This topic has 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

September 1, 2019 at 6:26 am Hi All, Just thought I would try the brains trust. I have tried google and cant find what I am after. So a cetop 3 direction solenoid valve says it flows at 60 lpm ish depending in brand. I am assuming that would be at the max flow rate at max pressure of 350bar? Does anyone have or has seen a flow rate chart depending on pressure? I would assume the flow rate at 100bar would be a lot less around 20? So this is on my Hydraulic thruster, I coul…

Started by:  Luke Nelson

5 Replies
      September 7, 2019 at 2:06 pm Yes, you need more pump displacement so you can do what you need to do at a lower RPM Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• QSC 8.3 RPM Surge

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

September 6, 2019 at 7:34 am I have a single QSC 8.3 (2007 model with 2500 hours) that is experiencing infrequent and inconsistent RPM surges of 30 to 40 RPM. Engine has a Morse KE-4 electronic engine control and also the CM SmartCraft instrumentation. I generally run the engine at 1300 RPM for 7 to 8 knots and a resultant 3.6 gallon/hour fuel consumption. When it surges it will pop up to 1340 or so then fall back to 1300. It never fluctuates downward. The previous owne…

Started by:  Steven Williford

1 Reply
      September 6, 2019 at 6:30 pm What type of digital displays do you have? Bring of the screen that shows throttle %, and watch that during the RPM fluctuations…………….If it changes, then you have an KE-4 issue.. If not,then I’d say you have an engine issue or sensor issue. Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

• Double taper propeller shaft

This topic has 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

March 12, 2019 at 7:26 pm This morning I picked up 2 new 2.25 double taper shafts with new couplers for my ZF301 trans. Cummins 6CTA8.3 motors. We are replacing bent shafts that cannot be straightened since someone used a grinder on them. The couplers are suspect looks like someone hammered on them. Do I fit the couplers similar to a propeller, fitting the coupler without the keyway first followed by the keyway? Larry

Started by:  Larry aberg

13 Replies
      August 31, 2019 at 12:14 pm Larry, Glad it all worked out.. Good job! Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for all to see: https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/

• CCV Kit Filter Cleaning

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Marvin Lewis 1 month ago

August 26, 2019 at 10:57 am So I am a little confused. You sell a cleaning and oiling kit for the S&B Filters that go with the CCV kits. The instructions for the cleaning kit say not to use anything but the cleaning solution and then re-oil the filters using the supplied filter oil. But, under the cleaning and care tab on the filter ordering page you indicate that the filters can be cleaned simply by using Dawn or some other dish soap and oiling is not necessary as t…

Started by:  Marvin Lewis

2 Replies
      August 27, 2019 at 8:36 am Thanks Tony. Appreciate all you guys do to help us out in the field. Stumpylewis

Last Post by:  Marvin Lewis posted: 1 month ago

• Propping issues

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

August 24, 2019 at 1:59 pm I have a 2000 Riviera flybridge w/ 6bta 370 hp Cummins. I bought the boat used a couple of years ago. It had been sitting for 2-3years. After survey did complete bottom job. Blasted to gel coat, new paint, thru hulls and props. Emailed Riviera and put the exact spec props that were on the boat. 19 x 23 cupped. After cleaning aftercoolers, heat exchangers all filters. Installing your ccv system, stopping boost leaks etc I am still having some iss…

Started by:  Garry Lightfoot

1 Reply
      August 24, 2019 at 6:01 pm 3,400 no load for that engine is good but you were previously 800 rpm short on no load? Loaded they need to see ~3,150. Get your overheat issue squared away first before you do damage with more WOT sea trials. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 248 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.