This forum contains 209 topics and 1,253 reply, and was last updated by  Jason Fanghella 14 hours ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 210 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 1 year ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 1 year ago

• Vdo gauges and Cummins 370 6bta

This topic has 0 replies, has 1 voices, and was last updated by Jason Fanghella 14 hours ago

April 25, 2019 at 4:24 pm Long time lurker and learner never posted anything yet but looking for some help. I have a 2002 topaz with twin 370 6bta Cummins and running VDO gauges. I’m trying to figure out why my port tach doesn’t work until around 2400 rpm but isn’t actually accurate and doesn’t show any higher no matter what rpm. While my starboard tach just started doing almost the complete opposite. Once I hit about 1600 rpm the starboard tach goes to zero and …

Started by:  Jason Fanghella

0 Replies - Can you Help? ...be the First to Respond!

• Prop speed, worth doing? 1 2

This topic has 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 1 day ago

March 1, 2019 at 12:30 pm Thinking of trying some new ACME props and wondering while I’m at it if I should put prop speed on the running gear. Has anyone had experience with this product?

Started by:  Joe Monaco

21 Replies
      April 24, 2019 at 9:27 pm Thanks! I’ve owned this boat for about 4 years. Hoping for another good So Cal fishing season.

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 1 day ago

• Envirovent install- help

This topic has 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Mike Pettee 2 days ago

April 20, 2019 at 3:55 pm Hi guys, 6bta Cummins, i am installing Envirovent to stop my air breathers from puking oil… see the amount of oil that poured out upon removing air filter. Not sure how these engines were breathing. The walker sep had a small oil line On the very back, i believe it is an oil line draining back into the oil pan through a small filter. This kit came with no instructions. Just parts, I never like to see that but it seems pretty self expla…

Started by:  Brad Fausett

9 Replies
      April 23, 2019 at 7:45 pm Brad Fausett wrote: The walker sep had a small oil line On the very back, i believe it is an oil line draining back into the oil pan through a small filter. This kit came with no instructions. Just parts, I never like to see that but it seems pretty self explanatory. What am I doing with this line?? Kit has a cap for factory breather tube I believe. Help?? I just did an install on my 6bta. The back drain tube from the walkers needs plugged. …

Last Post by:  Mike Pettee posted: 2 days ago

• Maintenance

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 2 days ago

April 23, 2019 at 5:43 pm Have a 2006 QSL9 with 5000 Engine Hours. I Cruise from 1020 RPM (8.5 MPH) to 1350 RPM (10.0 MPH). Change Oil every 200 Hours. Shell Rotella 15/40. 2006 40 Foot Sedan Trawler!!!. What maintenance should i be having done at this stage of the game. Getting ready to service the After Cooler for the 2nd time. Valves were adjusted at 2000 hours.

Started by:  Raymond W Smith

1 Reply
      April 23, 2019 at 6:50 pm Here is the long term key, based on what you just posted——————-As long as you do the aftercooler per my protocol every 2 yrs( hours do not matter if you are in saltwater) , your exhaust system does not let water into your turbo, and you keep the rest the the cooling system up to spec along with all of the rotating devices on the front of the engine, expect 25000-30000++++++++ hours before you will be looking …

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 2 days ago

• New boat, new to diesels

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brad Arrington 3 days ago

April 17, 2019 at 12:16 pm Hi all, I’ve put in an offer on a new boat and am getting ready to see it for the first time. Coming from a freshwater cooled Mercruiser outdrive setup, the transition to a straight shaft diesel is quite a change. I’ve been doing some research but still feel very much the newbie. What kinds of things should I look for upon my initial viewing of the boat? Assuming all goes well, what kinds of things are important that I should do re…

Started by:  Brad Arrington

2 Replies
      April 22, 2019 at 7:37 am Rob Schepis wrote: Good for you to find a boat in freshwater, that is a premium, especially in a situation where maintenance might not have been up to high standards. Up the Hudson I presume? Single screw, right? Be sure to take a lot of engine room pic, some close ups and some overall shots. Be sure not to miss the biggies – engine mounts, seawater pump, aftercooler, turbo, exhaust coming off the turbo, digital display, to name a few… Get …

Last Post by:  Brad Arrington posted: 3 days ago

• SMX filters versus Racors

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Raymond Slingerland 4 days ago

April 19, 2019 at 5:53 pm New boat to us. 970 CPL, 300 hp engines with some updates. Changing all the filters etc. Noted Racor 900s had water in them. One 300 gal. Tank. One filler station. Don’t like messing with the Racors. Changed from them on previous boat with the SMX double doubles and squeeze bulb primers. Still have 4 of the 1000 filters and 3 of the 19513 filters. Is there a shelf life for them? Probably 4 years old stored in a humidity controlled room. …

Started by:  Raymond Slingerland

4 Replies
      April 21, 2019 at 10:05 am Tony, great reply, gives me more things to look at. I also like your double double filter system since I had them on my previous boat. But at age 85 the agreement with my son-in-law is “I’ll buy the next boat but you have to maintain it”, My mistake was not letting him work with the Racors this time and I think that would have sealed the deal. Still have three Racors left that came with the boat, and will let him do them next t…

Last Post by:  Raymond Slingerland posted: 4 days ago

• Let\'s all take a moment

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 1 week ago

April 15, 2019 at 7:24 pm Seaboard Forums, I spent the entire afternoon watching in disbelief as Notre Dame in Paris France burned. As I reflect on life, I am struck by the simple fact that everyone here on the forum are able to enjoy one of the most amazing joys of life. A day on the water. No mater how much we lament a particular challenge we should all take stock and appreciate what we have. The ability to spend time with our families and loved ones on the water. To…

Started by:  Steve Lewis

1 Reply
      April 16, 2019 at 7:25 am Well said Steve. Thanks.

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 1 week ago

• Update: ACME prop swap and performance results.

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 2 weeks ago

April 11, 2019 at 8:24 am I have CAT 420 HP @ 2800 rpm. 1 3/4 inch shaft, 1:48 trans. I had 4 blade stock props, 20 x 24. Not sure of cup. Old props WOT 2850 with laser tac. I included my low tec test results below. Sea trialed props on the same day, old props and bottom cleaned day before. Looked great when hauled. Boat was loaded with full fuel and water but just me, probably up to 1500lbs missing from normal trip weight, crew, ice and bait tank water etc. Jim @ ACM…

2 Replies
      April 12, 2019 at 7:09 am Interesting results to say the least. When I bought this boat 4 years ago I had the original props pulled and sent to prop shop, class 1. I monitored the performance of the boat over these past few years and my mileage has been about .85 NMPG. I won’t know for sure until I do several trips what eal world burn now is. If I use CATs GPH burn numbers at 2200-2300 rpm and the new props boat speed I’m looking at 1 NMPG. Pretty impressive rang…

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 2 weeks ago

• Cummins repower exhaust questions

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by matt.schaefer86 3 weeks ago

March 29, 2019 at 8:08 pm The 33 Tiara repower questions continue. The boat currently has 3208t 320hp. With lift mufflers. It appears that it is going to be quite difficult to switch away from the lift mufflers because of space constraints. What is this forums opinion on this style of exhaust. Also, the boat has a bypass raw water cooling line that dumps at the end of the exhaust. I believe this is because of the lift muffler. If I was to reuse the lift muffler system. …

Started by:  matt.schaefer86

3 Replies
      April 4, 2019 at 5:01 am Thanks Tony for your thoughts. Hopefully these pics tell the story. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  matt.schaefer86 posted: 3 weeks ago

• Double taper propeller shaft

This topic has 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Larry aberg 3 weeks ago

March 12, 2019 at 7:26 pm This morning I picked up 2 new 2.25 double taper shafts with new couplers for my ZF301 trans. Cummins 6CTA8.3 motors. We are replacing bent shafts that cannot be straightened since someone used a grinder on them. The couplers are suspect looks like someone hammered on them. Do I fit the couplers similar to a propeller, fitting the coupler without the keyway first followed by the keyway? Larry

Started by:  Larry aberg

11 Replies
      April 3, 2019 at 2:40 pm Good shaft no high spots Larry Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Larry aberg posted: 3 weeks ago

• Cummins repower transmission questions

This topic has 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by matt.schaefer86 3 weeks ago

March 27, 2019 at 8:11 pm Avid reader, New to posting here. All info appreciated Repowering a 1989 33 Tiara fly bridge. It currently has 3208T 320hp. Planning to swap to 6BTA 330-370hp. I’m sure I will have a million questions for this forum but I need to start with what transmissions can work. A friend has the same boat repowered with Cummins and his transmissions are 10deg down angle. I have found a good set of ZF 80a. Which I believe is a 8 Deg down angle. Is 2 …

Started by:  matt.schaefer86

6 Replies
      March 31, 2019 at 6:37 am There are twin disc in there now. The 3208 sit on a huge angle. I’m pretty sure the twin disc have no down angle. I think the Cummins are supposed to go In as close to flat as possible.

Last Post by:  matt.schaefer86 posted: 3 weeks ago

• QSB Fuel Cooler/Supply

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

March 19, 2019 at 10:49 am Let me start by saying THANK YOU to those who contribute here. I am extremely thankful for the wealth of information that is available. I a 38′ Scarborough with twin QSB 5.9 380’s. Have been going through them this spring with many updates and maintenance that would not have been possible without all of the insights available. So far I have installed SMX water pumps, new port gear cooler, new bulk fuel filter system w/priming bulb, s…

Started by:  roborr24

3 Replies
      March 20, 2019 at 3:31 am Robert, I was thinking mechanical when I advised on the submerged fuel return. As per Cummins, the common rail engines do not use submerged returns. See attached. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design." Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Prop Slippage

This topic has 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Steve Lewis 1 month ago

March 10, 2019 at 11:41 am I am currently involved in a potential repower project with a Southern Cross 52 that has 1987 Vintage 8V-92 TI’s in the 730-735 HP range/ 2300 Rated RPM.. 1.54:1 gears swinging 28” x 25” 4B props (maybe 26” of pitch—conflicting email numbers) .. Not sure on any cup but probably has some (it could even have a lot, don’t know) .. I am using 50,000 lbs as the weight.. The performance numbers posted are from the owner. And, more or le…

Started by:  Tony Athens

5 Replies
      March 19, 2019 at 5:43 am Rob and Tony, I have an accurate idea of the slippage of our Sea Ray, but only at Cruise RPM. I have not done a full RPM graph of performance. Shame on me I guess. My numbers are within reasonable error with Rob’s around 20kts. I sat towards the back of the class. I was 6′ 4″ in the 8th grade so I got complaints that I was blocking the view of those behind me…………. I have a spread sheet that does th…

Last Post by:  Steve Lewis posted: 1 month ago

• Comprar piezas en SEABOARD

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Javier 1 month ago

March 13, 2019 at 11:00 am Buenas tardes,estoy intentando comprar unos recambios en esta web de seaboard, para los motores cummins de mi embarcación. Tengo un carrito de compras, pero me gustaría que un entendido en los repuestos, me diga si son los correctos para mis números de motores Cummins QSB5.9. N°46575925 N°46581783 Los compro desde España y no quisiera equivocarme. Muchas Gracias. Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Javier

2 Replies
      March 13, 2019 at 11:38 pm Gracias Rob. Saludos

Last Post by:  Javier posted: 1 month ago

• Best power for Mitchel Cove 32 lobster boat

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

March 12, 2019 at 8:17 am Boat is 32X12 lobster boat. Pleasure craft used for fishing less than 300hrs per season. Est weight 13000-15000lbs looking for most efficient cruise 22-23 kts . Hull can swing a 26″ wheel. Thanks…..

Started by:  Will

3 Replies
      March 13, 2019 at 2:56 pm I would think one of the higher HP QSB’s, possibly the 6.7, would be right. As to laying out the entire drivetrain (gear model, ratio, shaft dia and prop specs) that’s Tony’s forte…… Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Testing a generator siphon Break

This topic has 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Joe Monaco 1 month ago

February 18, 2019 at 9:51 pm Saw a sticker saying I need to test the syphin every 6 months. How do I do this and do people really check their syphins every 6 month? How do they stop working?

9 Replies
      March 6, 2019 at 6:44 pm Thanks Rob! I put a copy in my boat file.

Last Post by:  Joe Monaco posted: 1 month ago

• Cleaning crankcase breather

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Corey Schmidt 1 month ago

February 18, 2019 at 9:57 pm My motor manual says I need to clean the crankcase breather element with a non flammable liquid. What would that be, simple green? Any other suggestions? Manual says oil seal can leak if it isn’t cleaned. Is this due to over pressure if the breather can’t breath?

1 Reply
      February 27, 2019 at 7:42 pm Simple green would work well… or Dawn… something like that… then let the breather element “sun dry”… Corey Schmidt | VP, Operations | Seaboard Marine, Inc.

Last Post by:  Corey Schmidt posted: 1 month ago

• What do you see in this picture

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Wayne Spalding 2 months ago

January 28, 2019 at 8:02 pm Watching a story about Giant Blue Fin tuna fishing in Prince Edward Island with the Bruce Brothers Fishing Charter on TV today. Anyone see anything in the photo of the TV?. Seaboard made it to Price Edward Island!… Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Philip

4 Replies
      February 17, 2019 at 1:50 pm Was a great trip! I went on a Bluewater Magazine hosted trip, caught a couple, one @ 750lb and another at 1000lbs. A few beers, lots of lobster- worth doing. Make sure you get a Bruce Bros boat.. Based Gold Coast, Australia general sport fishing Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Wayne Spalding posted: 2 months ago

• Marine AC

This topic has 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dan 2 months ago

February 14, 2019 at 8:21 am My AC pump and strainer are mounted in a near impossible location to access/reach in the boat, I am contemplating moving the strainer to an area that is essentially at the same height as the AC unit itself,the pump will remain at the same level below the waterline. Weed can and does often fill the strainer in a matter of hours,and getting to it requires a midget on board and ends up being a messy affair, I have a great location I can move it to…

Started by:  Dan

10 Replies
      February 17, 2019 at 7:22 am Rodger, Thanks for the input,I have a freshwater flush tee on the intake side of the pump now I have used it to prime the pump on occasion,the preferred time for the strainer to block and the AC to shutdown seems to be around 2AM and the bride goes on the warpath… To clean the strainer I have to raise the entire helm section and crawl across one of the motors reach down and do it entirely by feel.The other option is to open the small access ha…

Last Post by:  Dan posted: 2 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 210 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.