This forum contains 111 topics and 707 replies, and was last updated by  Tony Athens 10 hours ago.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 112 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by donald roth 8 months ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reaso…

Started by:  Corey Schmidt

12 Replies
      Reply #12 June 1, 2017 at 9:58 am Thanks to Tony and the Seaboard crew for this forum! I appreciate your willingness to share info and tips with the public, not many people in the business are willing to look far enough ahead to see the value in this! Don

Last Post by:  donald roth posted: 8 months ago

• steering line replacement.

This topic has 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 10 hours ago

February 15, 2018 at 8:15 pm I have a job that the owner of a older 38 Bertram wants the lower steering lines/hoses replaced. Its a capilano steering system. I guess now its seastar solutions. There specs say copper or 1000 psi equivalent hydraulic hose. Copper is going to be tough as its a old boat and ots just not that easy to run the lines with bends. Looking for ideas on the hydraulic hose to use. Stainless jic in some areas like the rudder most likely. Very pricey th…

Started by:  john

6 Replies
      Reply #6 February 25, 2018 at 8:32 am John, We buy the hose and fitting from a large Parker distributor.. Reels are about 300-500 ft per.. We stock reusable fitting and only use them for field work.. Swaging is best for most work.. We use the tool shown below.. I’m thinking the one I have is 30 yrs old now? http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/Hand_Operated_Swaging_Tool_p/dst1.htm Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together and share for a…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 10 hours ago

• Barnacle buster para limpiar circuito agua salada

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 week ago

February 16, 2018 at 12:49 am Hola muy buenas ,quisiera vuestra opinión sobre la limpieza del circuito de agua salada con la recirculacion con bomba del líquido barnacle buster . Gracias

Started by:  Javier

1 Replies
      Reply #1 February 16, 2018 at 4:36 am Esa puede ser una solución rápida para ayudar a resolver un problema de aumento de temperatura, pero esa no es la manera correcta de reparar los componentes de agua de mar. Nada reemplaza la eliminación de los refrigeradores para una limpieza adecuada y pruebas de presión. Y eso definitivamente no hará nada para extender la vida de sus posenfriadores. Recuerda esta publicación: https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/postenfriadores-con-700-…

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 week ago

• Cross connecting fuel supplies

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Philip 1 week ago

February 13, 2018 at 12:56 pm This sounds suspect but I figured I’d throw it out there for comment…. The theory is to plumb a cross connect fuel line between last chance filters on a dual engine setup so that an operating engine can supply pressurized fuel to prime the other engine. Simple idea? Maybe, but I wonder if it’s introducing a liability that’s not needed. I know there are primer bulb setups that do a safe and reliable job. And if you know what your doi…

Started by:  Philip

2 Replies
      Reply #2 February 15, 2018 at 4:01 pm Had no intention of doing it unless this uncovered something amazing…

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 1 week ago

• QSM 11 Mysterious shutdowns

This topic has 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Philip 1 week ago

February 8, 2018 at 1:19 pm I have a pair of QSM 11s in a 2008, 50′ Altima trawler. I have owned the boat for 3 months and recently the starboard engine will shut down for no obvious reason. I am in south Florida with mild temps. The engine runs perfectly and suddenly turns off ( usually after operating for 30 minutes to an hour) as if I had pressed the shutdown switch and turned off the ignition. When this occurs the ignition to the starboard engine is dead i.e. no…

Started by:  Rich Dancaster

6 Replies
      Reply #6 February 14, 2018 at 10:26 am Glad you were persistsnd and found the issue! I assume a little cleaning and WD solved the issue….

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 1 week ago

• Groco Hull Strainer

This topic has 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Dan 1 week ago

February 17, 2017 at 6:41 am I’m looking at replacing my engine intake strainers to the groco hinged door style due to the oyster growth that occurs inside my present intakes,keeping them clean is virtually impossible. Anyone have experience with the groco hinged door intakes or a similar brand? Also what would be the size best suited for my application? 250 HP 4bta’s Thanks Dan   Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Dan

9 Replies
      Reply #9 February 13, 2018 at 2:52 pm Tony, Sorry for the delay,appreciate the response and advice – thank you. Dan

Last Post by:  Dan posted: 1 week ago

• Pyro Temperture

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by roberto pesant 2 weeks ago

February 7, 2018 at 2:33 pm I have a 30′ Egret with a straight shaft Yanmar 6LP 315 HP. The prop is 20X24 three blade. The dry weight on the boat is 5,000 LBS, fuel capacity is 210 Gallons and the bait well is 100 Gallons. The boat at half fuel and full bait well turns 4000 to 4100 RPM. We run the boat at 3000 RPM. We recently added an SMX Pyro Gauge. The prove is in the dry riser about 2 inches from the turbo exit flange. The temperature is constant 670 at cruise.…

Started by:  roberto pesant

2 Replies
      Reply #2 February 8, 2018 at 8:09 am Thank you Tony. I will post the pictures on Saturday. rpesant

Last Post by:  roberto pesant posted: 2 weeks ago

• de-grease and paint

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 weeks ago

February 7, 2018 at 7:25 am Any suggestions on cleaners or paractices to de-grease prior to paint touch up? Motors are in “good” shape but want to get some fresh paint on them as we service this winter. Grant Tankoos Legacy 34 - Twin 6BTA's Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Started by:  Grant Tankoos

1 Replies
      Reply #1 February 7, 2018 at 7:33 am I’ve been quite satisfied with Zep Commercial Heavy-Duty Citrus Degreaser Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 2 weeks ago

• 6 BTA 330 ONLY MAKING 2650 HELP!

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Philip 2 weeks ago

February 6, 2018 at 8:41 am Quick question for you all: Issue: Port Motor ( Yr 2000 Cummins 6BTA 330 1700 hours ) WOT only 2650rpm The starboard is at 2825rpm. What I know: Props are the same per scan, bottom clean, No load test engines do the same numbers in neutral, not noticeably more smoke in the air on port but the stern is a little more dirty at the end of the day on the port. Both engines go up at the same rate. 1000-1200-1400-1800-2000-2200-2400-2600 then the po…

Started by:  Austin.Ensor

2 Replies
      Reply #2 February 6, 2018 at 9:49 am Not sure why you started with a new throttle cable?.. Have you confirmed your throttle is adjusted correctly on the port and that it is 100% at the max stop? Also are you checking with synchro on or off? When were props done? When were the aftercoolers serviced and how? Phil

Last Post by:  Philip posted: 2 weeks ago

• Sistema de escape en qsb 5.9 425cv

This topic has 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 weeks ago

February 4, 2018 at 9:50 am Buenas tardes,subo unas fotos de mi sistema de escape para que me deis vuestra opinión,como técnicos entendidos del tema. Un saludo Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

10 Replies
      Reply #10 February 5, 2018 at 6:15 am Luciendo bien. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

• Limpieza de filtro aire en cummins qsb 5.9

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 2 weeks ago

February 4, 2018 at 9:53 am Buenas tardes,pido ayuda para saber cómo limpiar mis filtros de aire para que queden lo mejor posible de limpieza. Saludos Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

3 Replies
      Reply #3 February 5, 2018 at 6:07 am Las instrucciones hacen referencia al kit de limpieza y reengrase que suministran Aquí hay un enlace a las partes y accesorios que venden que incluyen los diferentes kits disponibles http://www.walkerairsep.com/product_list.asp?productTypeID=4&engineMakeID=0&engineHPID=0 Rob "Luck is the residue of good design."

• Problemas con línea de co bustible en generador onan mdkbl 7.5 kw

This topic has 1 reply, has 1 voices, and was last updated by Javier 3 weeks ago

February 4, 2018 at 10:06 am Buenas tardes,hoy cambié filtros de gasoil y prefiltros de motores y generador.Como siempre cerré llaves de combustible para la tarea,y una vez termine abrí llaves y arranque motores para probar todo.Los motores cummins todo ok,pero el generador no arrancó,mire el prefiltro y observe que no llegaba combustible,pero la llave si esta abierta, cual puede ser el problema?.Saludos y gracias.

1 Replies
      Reply #1 February 4, 2018 at 10:39 am Circuito de combustibles

Last Post by:  Javier posted: 3 weeks ago

• Problemas con los enfriadores de mis seductoras zf 85A

This topic has 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Javier 3 weeks ago

January 28, 2018 at 4:29 pm Hola a todos ,como soy nuevo me presento,soy Javier y vivo en España ,un saludo a los foreros. Mi problema es que los enfriadores de las reductoras,gotean agua cada año, después de arreglarlos,y no se ya que más hacerles,son de cobre soldados con plata y muchos tapones. Alguna solución. Gracias

5 Replies
      Reply #5 February 3, 2018 at 4:03 pm Gracias Rob

Last Post by:  Javier posted: 3 weeks ago

• Oman MDKBL-5791480 Heat Exchanger

This topic has 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Javier 4 weeks ago

December 9, 2017 at 9:00 am Need a little advice… I have the Onan MDKBL-5791480 with 920 hrs (in 2008 boat powered by QSBs with 600 hrs) and I removed the heat exchanger to get at bits of impeller that have broken free over the years. Now that I have it out should I just pressure test it, paint and reinstall if all is ok or should I just replace it with a new one? What’s the life span of these anyway? TIA Jeff

Started by:  Jeffrey Cohen

5 Replies
      Reply #5 January 28, 2018 at 3:56 pm Hola buenas soy nuevo por aquí .Yo también tengo el mismo generador y cambio el zinc cada año y los filtros de gasoil y aceite,cambio de aceite cada 2 años y la correa y el rodee cada 3 años y va todo perfecto,también lodesmonte una vez para quitar restos del rodee roto, se limpió volvió a montarlo y todo perfecto. Saludos

Last Post by:  Javier posted: 4 weeks ago

• Raw water intake replacement hose

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Rob Schepis 1 month ago

January 24, 2018 at 2:49 pm Replacement of the raw water intake hose with a USCG-approved hose was recommended on the marine survey report. Does anyone have a preference for a particular brand of hose? DLECME

Started by:  DeWayne Enyeart

1 Replies
      Reply #1 January 24, 2018 at 7:19 pm I’ve been quite satisfied with Trident 250 and 252 series. See attached.. Rob "Luck is the residue of good design." Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Yanmar motor mounts (isolaters)

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Bill Fuller 1 month ago

January 22, 2018 at 8:45 am I was going to call Tony and talk to him about my motor mounts (Yanmar 4LHA-STE) and what he would suggest for replacements. I decided to ask my questions here so that others may learn as I do. I have really old style Yanmar mounts which were installed during my repower by Tony in 2000, thus they are 18 years old. I have attached a picture that shows one of the mounts. There are more and better pictures on this site in the section on my repowe…

Started by:  Bill Fuller

3 Replies
      Reply #3 January 24, 2018 at 10:10 am I have attached a few pictures. Some taken yesterday. Others fairly recent. The first pic is the same pic as above but taken in June of 2015. The second pic is the same mount (port, inboard, rear) taken yesterday. The third is the same The fourth pic is embarrassing! Stb. forward inboard mount. I have had trouble keeping this mount clean since day one. It gets wire brushed and painted on a regular basis. It is currently due!!! Back to this …

Last Post by:  Bill Fuller posted: 1 month ago

• New Diesel Engine owner (sorry, it's a yanmar) 1 2 3 4 5 6

This topic has 116 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Gary Marshall 1 month ago

April 29, 2017 at 5:55 am I just wanted to greet everyone. I just bought my first Diesel. An Albin 28 2005 model flush deck powered with a 315 yanmar. I wish I could have gotten a cummins B series, but that just isn’t available in the flush deck design I wanted. That said, I will be reading and researching as much as possible to keep this engine working well for as long as possible. It is the original engine, and had about 900 hours on it. It was in fresh water mos…

Started by:  Gary Marshall

116 Replies
      Reply #116 January 21, 2018 at 12:27 pm We loosened the 2 exhaust elbows yesterday, and were able to rotate them without too much difficulty so that they are right up against the insulation on the bottom of the floor. Here are the new pics. Rob – was trying to locate a protractor to measure the angle….but no luck! I know it must be more than before. Might have mentioned this before, but we also made a foam plug to shove into the exhaust from the outside when the engine is…

Last Post by:  Gary Marshall posted: 1 month ago

• fuel line for diesel boat

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Tony Athens 1 month ago

January 18, 2018 at 12:27 pm Guys, quick question I have a new to me boat that I would like to redo the fuel line. I have source some fuel line I am being told it is good for Diesel fuel and has 250 psi rating and good up to 200 degrees. This is my first exp with a diesel boat. Can anyone let me know if this hose would work? They call it Easy Couple with built in braid? I am sourcing it from a local hydraulic supply house in town. I am using it for the vent line, fuel fill …

Started by:  IslandStyle

3 Replies
      Reply #3 January 19, 2018 at 5:41 am Look at the attached picture.. Don’t get complicated.. This is the “spec” you want to use…….. Very common, easy to get and cheap.. For a 6 BT 5.9, 3/8″ for supply and 1/4″ for the return is fine..–Use can use barb fittings & hose clamps or PUSH-On fitting & SAE /JIC flare fittings for un-inspected vessels Tony Tony Athens Seaboard Founder Go here for the latest stuff we put together an…

Last Post by:  Tony Athens posted: 1 month ago

• Airsep Filter

This topic has 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bill Fuller 1 month ago

January 4, 2018 at 2:45 pm I have a 2007 Yanmar 6LPA-STP engine. I was wondering if there was any significant advantage to replacing the stock foam air filter with an Airsep filter? Would the crankcase vent the same onto the pleated filter? Thanks for your help.

Started by:  john plachtyna

9 Replies
      Reply #9 January 14, 2018 at 6:35 pm John, Ask Tony if he still has the parts you need. Bill

Last Post by:  Bill Fuller posted: 1 month ago

• Bertram 31 – Full Restoration 1 2 3

This topic has 49 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Niels Mastrup 1 month ago

May 9, 2017 at 7:57 pm I purchased a Bertram 31 FBC mid last year following multiple years of looking at various fishing boats. It is in fair condition with a sound hull making it my ideal choice for a project boat. I have trolled the various websites detailing project boats and have seen several that caught my eye and with Tony’s input started to put together a project list to start the discussion on final project scope. We hope to get started in the next 30-60…

Started by:  Niels Mastrup

49 Replies
      Reply #49 January 5, 2018 at 10:14 am Tony/Corey – I read the post about the leaking steering ram and saw the SBmar Seafirst ram. This looks to be a well made unit. Will be using this for my boat? Niels

Last Post by:  Niels Mastrup posted: 1 month ago

• 6CTA Engine Mounts

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by jetlag 2 months ago

December 26, 2017 at 4:09 am Is there a way to check engine mount integrity ?

Started by:  jetlag

4 Replies
      Reply #4 December 27, 2017 at 11:30 am More Pictures Attachments:You must be logged in to access attached files.

Last Post by:  jetlag posted: 2 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.