Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 673 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated byMike Mason 3 years ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reason…

Started by: Corey Schmidt

14 Replies
      February 25, 2021 at 8:58 pm {content}[/right Nothing better!!! I love this place!!]

Last Post by: Mike Mason posted: 3 years ago

• Engine Room Corrosion Inhibitor

This topic has 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated bydonald roth 1 day ago

March 9, 2024 at 6:36 pm Can anyone recommend a good product to use for wiping down the engines/gears to prevent corrosion?  Battling some spot rust here and there with these big temperature changes this time of year in the south.   Maybe a good wipe down with some WD40 would help?  

Started by: Patrick Mangum

6 Replies
      March 17, 2024 at 8:08 pm Food grade silicone spray is a great corrosion inhibitor.  It does not leave a sticky coating when it dries.

Last Post by: donald roth posted: 1 day ago

• Engine serial number location

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byPatrick 4 days ago

March 14, 2024 at 10:11 am Hello, Can someone tell me where I can locate the serial numbers on my Cummins QSB 5.9’s. I need to take a photo for a Temporary Import Permit to Mexico. Thank you, Patrick

Started by: Patrick

2 Replies
      March 14, 2024 at 2:39 pm Got it. Thank you!!  

Last Post by: Patrick posted: 4 days ago

• 6bta cummins raw water leak

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byFem Karras 6 days ago

March 11, 2024 at 9:08 pm Hi all , need help .I have been getting salt water coming into my port engine (1992 6bta 300hp) ,  practices of elimination i purchased from Sbmar the following water pump kits for both engines , after speaking to tony i changed the aftercoolers (which needed doing , cause i had the old sealed units ) to the sbmar aftermarket ones. i flushed motor a few times and put new oil, cruised around for a full day checked oil and everything was fine. lef…

Started by: Fem Karras

2 Replies
      March 12, 2024 at 5:43 pm Thankyou Clark I will investigate further  cheers  

Last Post by: Fem Karras posted: 6 days ago

• Heat exchanger raw water outlet

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byRob Schepis 1 week ago

March 8, 2024 at 9:26 am Hi all , I’m in the process of redesigning my exhaust system to get it higher above the water line. Is there any way to change the raw water outlet on the heat exchanger? Thanks

Started by: Jerry Bradley

1 Reply
      March 8, 2024 at 11:59 am Yes sir. Cummins Marine Heat Exchanger Modifications

Last Post by: Rob Schepis posted: 1 week ago

• Fresh water flush cap & O-ring seal

This topic has 1 reply, has 1 voices, and was last updated byJustin McCarthy 1 week ago

March 3, 2024 at 6:35 pm Installing a new Seaboard flush cap on my strainers. While checking the fit, I noticed both port & starboard strainers wouldn’t seal perfectly on the old O-ring, but the old caps do seal perfectly (100% dry). They’re the post-2002 strainers (“two O-rings”, one on the cap & one embedded bowl-side). Before digging the old O-ring out & popping the new one in, just wanted to hear some encouragement that a fresh O-…

Started by: Justin McCarthy

1 Reply
      March 5, 2024 at 10:26 pm Update: dug out the old O-ring, popped the new one in, added some thread sealant, no leaks!  

Last Post by: Justin McCarthy posted: 1 week ago

• Looking for a used Cummins 6bta after cooler core

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byJames Hampton 2 weeks ago

February 19, 2024 at 5:11 am Good morning, I am looking for a used after cooler core for a Cummins 6bta engine….I found some corrosion on the sir side of the after cooler housing…anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Jim    

Started by: James Hampton

2 Replies
      February 27, 2024 at 4:32 am Hey Rob. I am located on South Shore of LI. Here are a few photos…

Last Post by: James Hampton posted: 2 weeks ago

• If I freshwater flush do I need aluminum “ zincs”?

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated bybonedoc1776 1 month ago

February 4, 2024 at 10:20 pm I hooked up a convenient freshwater flush portal for my diesel and use it regularly. The boat may sit for 5-7 day intervals thereafter. Some have suggested that I should switch my zincs to aluminum as the current zincs can become coated and therefore ineffective.  On the other hand, I am unsure if aluminum anodes are recommended for my motor.

Started by: bonedoc1776

2 Replies
      February 13, 2024 at 8:13 pm Thank you!

Last Post by: bonedoc1776 posted: 1 month ago

• VV403 Installation Possible With out Vessel View Link?

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byCorey Schmidt 1 month ago

January 26, 2024 at 12:03 am Is it possible to replace the Vessel View 1.5, which was connected to the Cummins QSB6.7 engine with Smartcraft Non-DTS, with the Vessel View 403 without using the Vessel View Link?<br /><br />

Started by: Kritwik Barua

1 Reply
      January 27, 2024 at 7:00 am The answer is yes… the VV403 will come with a short harness to connect it to the junction box. No LINK required. You will need to configure the VV403 however which can sometimes be a PITA

Last Post by: Corey Schmidt posted: 1 month ago

• Cummins 5.9 turbo issue

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byEddie Hall 2 months ago

January 9, 2024 at 12:40 pm Hi all,  I am new to the circle and probably need to direct this primarily at Tony. I have a 29 foot Blackfin with twin Cummins 335 Hp engines. The starboard engine is taking longer and longer for turbo to engage and last week took 15 minutes to activate after lots of black smoke. It finally cleared and operated properly. Removed the Walker Airsep and checked the impeller which turned smoothly with no damage or movement. Do I have a exhaust gate…

Started by: Eric Ball

2 Replies
      January 17, 2024 at 4:26 pm Take the filter off and spin the turbo with your fingers it should spin free.take the air intake tube off the aftercooler and turbo look for oil and look inside the aftercooler should be clean no oil

Last Post by: Eddie Hall posted: 2 months ago

• Turbo exhaust flange bolts

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 2 months ago

January 6, 2024 at 9:35 am I have ’06 QSB 5.9s that are getting some winter rehab. I am in the process of replacing original rear motor mounts and am attempting to disconnect the exhaust so I can freely jack the engine with a thin hydraulic ram.  Zero success loosening the 4 turbo flange bolts so far. I’ve tried all of these: kroil cycles, heat with torch, box wrench/ring spanner, and my last unsuccessful attempt was with a low profile bolt extractor.  Any fin…

Started by: longbeachisland

3 Replies
      January 15, 2024 at 7:29 pm Internal 8 MM Threads in the turbo casting are OK?  Do they need “chasing” or cleaning up  with a tap? Lots of anti-seize on the new hardware/bolts..  Don’t over tighten the new cap screws– Use a graphite gasket–it’s superior  Turbo is 100% good — But curious–How long had the engine not run when these pics were taken?

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 2 months ago

• Farallon fuel tanks

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byRob Schepis 2 months ago

January 7, 2024 at 1:04 pm <h5>I have this farallon once named the Wendy c</h5> try to find out if the tanks are stable for gasoline . Looking to extend and repower with out boards .  Also open to changing from v drive to out drive . I have no rooom on the deck for fish box and live well. Any info greatly appreciated   

Started by: Ashton aipia

2 Replies
      January 8, 2024 at 1:44 pm I would never put gasoline in a FRP tank unless said tank was specifically modern built for gasoline w/ ethanol.

Last Post by: Rob Schepis posted: 2 months ago

• Cutless bearing size

This topic has 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 2 months ago

January 5, 2024 at 1:34 am Is there a cutless bearing model that would allow me to move up to a 1-1/4″ prop shaft from a 1-1/8″ shaft? My strut bore ID/ cutless bearing OD is 1-5/8″. Strut bore is just over 5″ long. Bronze I am using a “BELT” size brass sleeve bearing (1-1/4 shaft, 1-5/8 OD) and running 1/2″ gap between rear of cutless bearing and front of prop hub. I see there is a “BIND” slimline bearing with 1-1/2&#…

Started by: Sean

5 Replies
      January 6, 2024 at 7:47 am In an ideal world, all properly fitted prop shaft couplings should have a degree of interreference fit and are machined true to the shaft turning on its own center,  and the shaft is straight  itself   to .001″ per ft of length or better .   Moving on, you needed to find a qualified machinist to help you from  here if you are gong to make changes to what you have currently.. 

• Where’s the 3rd bolt?

This topic has 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated byClark Leighs 2 months ago

October 30, 2023 at 3:54 pm Hi I am trying to replace my starter. I got the 2 bolts off but there has to be a 3rd as it won’t budge. Any tips on how to locate and remove the 3rd bolt? Thx-Lew 6BTA330m

Started by: Lew

4 Replies
      January 3, 2024 at 7:11 pm Nope, you are right, no 4 th bolt.     Memory is not good.

Last Post by: Clark Leighs posted: 2 months ago

• Low Voltage Pre Heat on Crossover

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byjeff-2164 2 months ago

December 28, 2023 at 7:21 pm My boat was hit by lighting 6 months ago.  Replaced the alternator because it was reading 13 volts and would drop to 10 and then back. Pre heat is on and I pulled the fuse to it and it is still on.  I have to use cross over to get it to turn over.   Now it reads 10v and will sit there and then jump to 13v every 2 minutes for 10 seconds and back down to 10v.  Has me stumped.

Started by: jeff-2164

3 Replies
      January 3, 2024 at 4:36 am Did you find your issue?  I have the exact same scenario. 

Last Post by: jeff-2164 posted: 2 months ago

• Fuel Manifolds

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 2 months ago

December 3, 2023 at 6:47 pm Hello, I added a 2nd fuel tank to during my rehab of my 50′ houseboat. Unfortunately, the layout of the hull does not allow me to tie the tanks together as Tony detailed in his FAQs.  Therefore, I am on the hunt for a fuel manifold that will allow me to select which tank to pull fuel from and I would also need it for the return fuel line. I have found various options out there, but I would like to know what the SBMAR family has seen or use…

Started by: Jamie Alberts

2 Replies
      December 31, 2023 at 7:06 am Jamie.,   I will gladly off some suggestions and some pics, but you need to make a sketch with distances and elevations of all the components in the system that matter..   Gravity (or lack of) can play the biggest part on what will work reliable.. Then.  you have to mix that with distance.   Engines are ??

• Veralift modification

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 2 months ago

November 28, 2023 at 9:31 am I have a vernal lift that I’m modifying I’m wondering if the lift tube can be in an angle?  

Started by: Harry

2 Replies
      December 31, 2023 at 6:59 am FRP lift mufflers and simple to modify — both the in  and the out     Lots of  pics on this web site in spread out in my  various exhaust articles..  Quite a few specific to your question   Post a pic and a drawing / sketch  of what you had in mind..

• Fresh water supply flow rate for Sherwood pump on CAT 3126 TA

This topic has 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated byMarcus Teipel 2 months ago

December 13, 2023 at 4:08 pm I subscribe to the value of fresh water flushing my CAT 3126 TA engines every time I return to port (the boat lives in a Salt Water environment).   I have purchased and installed 3 of Tony’s bronze fresh water flush caps for Groco ARG series strainers (one for each engine and one for the generator). I consider my fresh water supply volume and pressure at the boat house to be strong (sorry no objective water flow rate data available) &…

Started by: Marcus Teipel

8 Replies
      December 26, 2023 at 3:34 pm Thanks Gene.   Upon reflection what you say makes perfect sense. 

Last Post by: Marcus Teipel posted: 2 months ago

• Hi mount turbo air pipe

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 3 months ago

December 6, 2023 at 11:20 am On a 6BT, is the air pipe that goes from turbo outlet to engine intake a Cummins part? I can’t find it anywhere.  See pic

Started by: mattreigle

3 Replies
      December 8, 2023 at 6:19 pm That pipe was actually an ONAN part originally used by the power generation group.. Drop me a direct email and I’ll see what I can fine in my picture / note archives.    

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 3 months ago

• Cummins 6bt to BW

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 3 months ago

December 8, 2023 at 12:58 pm I’ve marinized a Cummins 6bta 160hp and I’m ready to fit it to my Borg Warner 72C 2.91:1 gearbox.  I’m running a displacement hull (Canadian fish tug).  What flywheel do you recommend, high inertia vs low inertia? SAE 3.  I’ll be ordering your Borg Warner adapter and dampener and wanted clarification on the flywheel before placing an order.   Thanks! Andy 

Started by: andyvinkus

1 Reply
      December 8, 2023 at 6:07 pm For your application either will do the job just fine– The automotive 6BT’s were always smoother running than the marine engines.  

• Nick in turbo blade 6bta

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 3 months ago

December 8, 2023 at 3:44 pm Have 6bta 5.9 315hp cpl 1975 with 1818 hours on it. Running fine no smoke or issues. Doing my end of season once over removed Seaboard air filter to check turbo. Clean as a whistle and spinning freely.  But I did notice a very very small nick in one of the fan blades almost unseen, can’t get a good picture.  Should I be concerned? Don’t have any idea how it got there maybe always?  

Started by: barry reese

1 Reply
      December 8, 2023 at 5:58 pm The blades are aluminum and small nicks are more common than  many think or see.. IMO, not not worry.

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 673 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.