Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 683 total)
    • Cummins Marine Forum Topics
    • Welcome to the Seaboard Community!

This topic has 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated byMike Mason 3 years ago

November 4, 2016 at 12:07 pm Welcome to the site…………….Ā  You will find nothing but honest help here proven over decades & 1000’s of hours of learning diesel engines as to what works, and more importantly, what doesn’t work. Where I believe this site really excels is dealing with the last two generations of high performance diesels (smaller displacement light iron diesels that produce 60-80+ HP per liter) and are really the reason…

Started by: Corey Schmidt

14 Replies
      February 25, 2021 at 8:58 pm {content}[/right Nothing better!!! I love this place!!]

Last Post by: Mike Mason posted: 3 years ago

• Cummins 5.9 turbo issue

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byEric Ball 2 days ago

January 9, 2024 at 12:40 pm Hi all,Ā  I am new to the circle and probably need to direct this primarily at Tony. I have a 29 foot Blackfin with twin Cummins 335 Hp engines. The starboard engine is taking longer and longer for turbo to engage and last week took 15 minutes to activate after lots of black smoke. It finally cleared and operated properly. Removed the Walker Airsep and checked the impeller which turned smoothly with no damage or movement. Do I have a exhaust gate…

Started by: Eric Ball

3 Replies
      April 24, 2024 at 1:33 pm Hi Patrick<br />The problem is now permanent and no longer clears itself. So, hauled the boat yesterday for hurricane season and I will remove the exhaust bend to inspect the turbine, which, might be sooted up. More laterĀ 

Last Post by: Eric Ball posted: 2 days ago

• Turbo oil darin elbow leak

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byRob Schepis 3 days ago

April 22, 2024 at 8:44 am Brought a replacement turbo oil drain elbow last year to replace a leaking pitted one.Ā  Came with two gaskets. Mechanic used just one on the re install and said second was just an extra.Ā  Well it was then leaking from the fitting face and the turbo. Pulled fitting and replaced gasket once again and it still leaks same area of the marriage between the fitting face and the turbo.Ā  Should we have used both gaskets?

Started by: barry reese

1 Reply
      April 23, 2024 at 1:30 pm Post some pics of what you’re dealing with.

Last Post by: Rob Schepis posted: 3 days ago

• QSB 5.9 380 – airsep oil return check valve leak

This topic has 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated bypmerklinger59 1 week ago

April 15, 2024 at 2:12 am Hello, Ā  sorry if this has been answered before but the search function is not working on the site for me. My friend purchased used 2003 sea ray 39 with a pair of Cummins QSB5.9 380s. One of them is leaking a ton of oil right at the oil return check valve, but it is the second part and it does not match the imagine in Tonyā€™s tips. Can anyone help me locate this part and how to install? Iā€™m pretty sure the leak is coming from here but it may be t…

Started by: Harry Karaoglanian

5 Replies
      April 18, 2024 at 1:31 pm Hi, i would recommend having a mobile machinist (unless you are good at cutting a thread in the block) come out and thread the block so that you can cap off the hole and then install Tony’s kit. Not sure if routing the drain hose to a different location would be an option.Ā Ā 

Last Post by: pmerklinger59 posted: 1 week ago

• 6CTA Starboard Aftercooler Recommendation

This topic has 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated byHarold 1 week ago

March 19, 2024 at 11:10 am Good morning SBA team,Ā  I pulled the starboard aftercooler for maintenance and discovered some corrosion. I have a pair of 2002 6CTA 450’s which were last serviced in 2019 and installed fresh water strainer caps at the same time. I was surprised at the amount of salt build up, I religiously flush the engines after every use except when cruising multiple days which is onlyĀ  about 10-12 days a year. There was quite the buildup in the hose ex…

Started by: Harold

12 Replies
      April 17, 2024 at 1:47 pm I finally got around to putting it all back together. I bypassed the fuel cooler and remounted the aftercooler. I started a fresh water flush as I normally do with the sea cock open.Ā  After ~10 minutes I shut it down and pulled the lower zinc and did my taste test. It definitely was salty water as I expected, not pure salt water but still a bit salty. Based on this experience I will now start closing the sea cock during the flush. We have great …

Last Post by: Harold posted: 1 week ago

• SMX Double Double Quantum Fuel Filter Change..Thought I would Share

This topic has 0 replies, has 1 voices, and was last updated by 1 week ago

April 15, 2024 at 3:32 pm Sharing with the forum the importance of keeping any crud or water out of the “last chance” fuel filter on the QSB.5.9 480. I cut the filters open to look over the filter media and inside the cannisters. OK, I’m running a QSB 5.9 480…just turned 305 hrs over 2.5Ā  summer seasons. I use Biobor JF as preventive maintenance dose. Full disclosure I do not rountinely or at allĀ  drain the bottom of the filters to check for water…

Started by: Bill Desmarais

0 Replies - Can you Help? ...be the First to Respond!

• Forum functionality

This topic has 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byvreyes2 1 week ago

April 14, 2024 at 6:50 am I think I’m missing something. For years I was able to search the forum. over the last several months the search function in the forum only returns parts selections. Ive tried logging in on different computers and with the following search engines, Safari, Chrome and google. No luck. Is there a setting im missing any ideas on how to get the forum search function to work? All other aspects of the site work. This post will be a test as to wh…

Started by: vreyes2

4 Replies
      April 15, 2024 at 4:04 am Every single search I try only returns parts. “5.9 QSB 330” “Zf transmission electronic solenoid” “after-cooler service procedure” Ive tried maybe 100 searches on different computers and different search platforms. Weird Thanks

Last Post by: vreyes2 posted: 1 week ago

• fresh water flush T questions

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 1 week ago

April 14, 2024 at 11:31 am I received the T from sbmar and it has a 3/4 inch straight thread. I have a bronz pipe thread adapter.The bronze fitting seems to bottom out and i am unsure it will maintain the seal. Should i give it a try or should i try to find a straight thread bronze fitting with an o ring?

Started by: rod robbins

1 Reply
      April 14, 2024 at 1:00 pm We purposely made theĀ  thread extra deep.. It will seal 100%– Just useĀ  your for favorite boat/marine caulking ( 5200 or a silicone),Ā  Ā or pipe dope on the threads.

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 1 week ago

• Filler neck disconnected partially from cast iron heat exchanger

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 1 week ago

April 13, 2024 at 5:20 pm I’m trying to figure out a repair method. The old Cummins 903 has no visible serial number. The label on the valve cover is destroyed. I cannot see the numbers that might exist above the seam for the block and sump.Ā <br />I was thinking of removing the old neck and buying a new one from sbmar.com. They want a serial # to determine if the one they have in stock is going to fit.Ā <br />I really donā€™t want to remove the exchanger i…

Started by: Bob Skelly

1 Reply
      April 14, 2024 at 6:21 am If it was me, I’d look around for a filler neck with a flange built in to it, and then figureĀ  out a way to adapt it to your oldĀ  rusty iron tank..   Yes, you’d need to clever and totally hands-onĀ  to do it..    

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 1 week ago

• Heat exchanger raw water outlet

This topic has 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byBruce Alker 3 weeks ago

March 8, 2024 at 9:26 am Hi all , Iā€™m in the process of redesigning my exhaust system to get it higher above the water line. Is there any way to change the raw water outlet on the heat exchanger? Thanks

Started by: Jerry Bradley

2 Replies
      April 4, 2024 at 9:48 pm I would also like to change the raw water outlet of my Sen-Dure heat exchanger on Cummins 6BT to a straightĀ  output instead of the elbow for better clearance around the riser.Ā  Ā Can you recommend a shop that could do the change over from the elbow to a straight outlet?Ā  Ā I think the heat exchanger is a copper-nickel alloy and may be problematic to weld/braze. Thanks.

Last Post by: Bruce Alker posted: 3 weeks ago

• Hydraulic Steering Fill

This topic has 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated byRichard Dodson 3 weeks ago

March 30, 2024 at 7:18 am Replaced the lines. Trying to figure out best method to refilling and bleeding the air out.Ā <br /><br /> Also Iā€™ve seen the seaboard team use reservoirs for the hydraulic fluid. Where can I source the reservoir?      

Started by: Blake H

3 Replies
      April 1, 2024 at 7:45 pm Get the manual from the manufacturer. They have very specific steps on bleeding the system.Ā 

Last Post by: Richard Dodson posted: 3 weeks ago

• Engine vibration when idle and in gear

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byAwie Fourie 3 weeks ago

March 29, 2024 at 7:20 pm Dear Friends, I have the Hatteras 41 C with 2 x Cummins 450hp Diamond series with Twindisc gearbox transmission.Ā  Drive shafts new and balanced, shaft alignments good. New cutless bearings, new bullflex coupling rubbers. When Port engine at idle low rpm notice high vibration at idle, increase rpm slightly vibration disappears.Ā  Ā  WhenĀ  Port engine in gear forward or reverse low rpm high vibration shaking, soon when rpm increase above 800 –…

Started by: Awie Fourie

2 Replies
      March 30, 2024 at 6:57 pm Tony, thank you will first start to confirm true RPM with strobe light. P & SB engine RPM currently the same at idle. Only P engine vibrates in idle and when in gear. SB engine no problem. I am not sure the connection between Cummins engine and Twindisc gearbox configuration? Damper plate? Springs? Rubber?    

Last Post by: Awie Fourie posted: 3 weeks ago

• Engine Room Corrosion Inhibitor

This topic has 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated byRichard Dodson 4 weeks ago

March 9, 2024 at 6:36 pm Can anyone recommend a good product to use for wiping down the engines/gears to prevent corrosion?Ā  Battling some spot rust here and there with these big temperature changes this time of year in the south.Ā Ā  Maybe a good wipe down with some WD40 would help?Ā Ā 

Started by: Patrick Mangum

8 Replies
      March 28, 2024 at 11:28 am The WD in WD40 stands for water displacing. It leaves very little corrosion prevention once it has dried. It was not certified for use in the Navy for that reason.Ā 

Last Post by: Richard Dodson posted: 4 weeks ago

• Cummins 6BTA Aftercooler Core

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byRob Schepis 1 month ago

March 20, 2024 at 4:53 am 2 questions. My aftercooler core is bad. Does not hold pressure. Housing is fine. 1, does anyone know where I can get a used aftercooler core? 2, has anyone used a perkins core? any recommendation about using an aftermarket core vs a cummins?   Thanks, Jim

Started by: James Hampton

1 Reply
      March 20, 2024 at 5:22 am Have you identified where the core leak is?Ā  If it’s one or two tubes they can be plugged off.Ā  As to used – eBay, FB marketplace, etc.Ā  Don’t have any experience with any other cores other than Cummins and SMX.

Last Post by: Rob Schepis posted: 1 month ago

• Engine serial number location

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byPatrick 1 month ago

March 14, 2024 at 10:11 am Hello, Can someone tell me where I can locate the serial numbers on my Cummins QSB 5.9’s. I need to take a photo for a Temporary Import Permit to Mexico. Thank you, Patrick

Started by: Patrick

2 Replies
      March 14, 2024 at 2:39 pm Got it. Thank you!!  

Last Post by: Patrick posted: 1 month ago

• 6bta cummins raw water leak

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byFem Karras 1 month ago

March 11, 2024 at 9:08 pm Hi all , need help .I have been getting salt water coming into my port engine (1992 6bta 300hp) ,Ā  practices of elimination i purchased from Sbmar the following water pump kits for both engines , after speaking to tony i changed the aftercoolers (which needed doing , cause i had the old sealed units ) to the sbmar aftermarket ones. i flushed motor a few times and put new oil, cruised around for a full day checked oil and everything was fine. lef…

Started by: Fem Karras

2 Replies
      March 12, 2024 at 5:43 pm Thankyou Clark I will investigate furtherĀ  cheersĀ Ā 

Last Post by: Fem Karras posted: 1 month ago

• Fresh water flush cap & O-ring seal

This topic has 1 reply, has 1 voices, and was last updated byJustin McCarthy 1 month ago

March 3, 2024 at 6:35 pm Installing a new Seaboard flush cap on my strainers. While checking the fit, I noticed both port & starboard strainers wouldn’t seal perfectly on the old O-ring, but the old caps do seal perfectly (100% dry). They’re the post-2002 strainers (“two O-rings”, one on the cap & one embedded bowl-side). Before digging the old O-ring out & popping the new one in, just wanted to hear some encouragement that a fresh O-…

Started by: Justin McCarthy

1 Reply
      March 5, 2024 at 10:26 pm Update: dug out the old O-ring, popped the new one in, added some thread sealant, no leaks!  

Last Post by: Justin McCarthy posted: 1 month ago

• Looking for a used Cummins 6bta after cooler core

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byJames Hampton 1 month ago

February 19, 2024 at 5:11 am Good morning, I am looking for a used after cooler core for a Cummins 6bta engine….I found some corrosion on the sir side of the after cooler housing…anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, Jim    

Started by: James Hampton

2 Replies
      February 27, 2024 at 4:32 am Hey Rob. I am located on South Shore of LI. Here are a few photos…

Last Post by: James Hampton posted: 1 month ago

• If I freshwater flush do I need aluminum ā€œ zincsā€?

This topic has 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated bybonedoc1776 2 months ago

February 4, 2024 at 10:20 pm I hooked up a convenient freshwater flush portal for my diesel and use it regularly. The boat may sit for 5-7 day intervals thereafter. Some have suggested that I should switch my zincs to aluminum as the current zincs can become coated and therefore ineffective.Ā  On the other hand, I am unsure if aluminum anodes are recommended for my motor.

Started by: bonedoc1776

2 Replies
      February 13, 2024 at 8:13 pm Thank you!

Last Post by: bonedoc1776 posted: 2 months ago

• VV403 Installation Possible With out Vessel View Link?

This topic has 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated byCorey Schmidt 3 months ago

January 26, 2024 at 12:03 am Is it possible to replace the Vessel View 1.5, which was connected to the Cummins QSB6.7 engine with Smartcraft Non-DTS, with the Vessel View 403 without using the Vessel View Link?<br /><br />

Started by: Kritwik Barua

1 Reply
      January 27, 2024 at 7:00 am The answer is yes… the VV403 will come with a short harness to connect it to the junction box. No LINK required. You will need to configure the VV403 however which can sometimes be a PITA

Last Post by: Corey Schmidt posted: 3 months ago

• Turbo exhaust flange bolts

This topic has 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated byTony Athens 3 months ago

January 6, 2024 at 9:35 am I have ’06 QSB 5.9s that are getting some winter rehab. I am in the process of replacing original rear motor mounts and am attempting to disconnect the exhaust so I can freely jack the engine with a thin hydraulic ram.Ā  Zero success loosening the 4 turbo flange bolts so far. I’ve tried all of these: kroil cycles, heat with torch, box wrench/ring spanner, and my last unsuccessful attempt was with a low profile bolt extractor.Ā  Any fin…

Started by: longbeachisland

3 Replies
      January 15, 2024 at 7:29 pm Internal 8 MM Threads in the turbo casting are OK?Ā  Do they need “chasing” or cleaning upĀ  with a tap? Lots of anti-seize on the new hardware/bolts..Ā  Don’t over tighten the new cap screws– Use a graphite gasket–it’s superiorĀ  Turbo is 100% good — But curious–How long had the engine not run when these pics were taken?

Last Post by: Tony Athens posted: 3 months ago

Viewing 21 topics - 1 through 20 (of 683 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.