• Creator
    Topic

Henry Gamsby
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Lyra
    Engines: 6BTA5.9

I’m trying to install a new SMX 27 impeller in my SMX 1730 pump. First time replacing it. Impeller won’t go in all the  way. I think it’s getting stuck on something or  ot fitting on spline. Tried two different new ones. Any advice or experiences.  Thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

Google impeller tool. I have the same pumps, takes 5 minutes to install the new impeller. 

Henry Gamsby
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Lyra
    Engines: 6BTA5.9

SmX Impeller

Tony

I tried two new SMX impeller and both would not slide over spline. Old/original impeller would with a little tapping. Installed a Sherwood 27000K and slide over with just hand pressure. Seems to me the SMX ones are too tight. Your thoughts

Shannon Ritzert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Hot Mess
    Engines: 4bt

I have one type of engine in the field that has a crank mounted keyed impeller.  It is on a supercharged ZZ8 engine.  All the supercharger plumbing makes it extremely difficult to do the install, as does the rudder packing gland, and the dang key always wants to slide out when you are sliding the impeller in.  I actually use silicone spray, or soap for lubricity on these, and I also use about 3 zip ties to squeeze the fins to minimize the friction while sliding the impeller in the housing.  I will clip each zip tie as it starts to go into the housing.

I’ve also had brand X impellers machine work on the hubs not fit like a oem made impeller will.  I always try to get the customer to pay for oem and not cheap out on these.  I have also been as far as to cut all the fins off of an impeller that is giving me fits to make sure it is not a bad machine on the hub (I know this is a waste of money, but sometimes frustration sets in, and I just want answers to the problem)

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Curious–Did you try re-installing one of the old impellers?

Byron Biggs
    Participant

wood clamp

If you have the room I have used a racheting wood clamp for the install.

John
    Participant
    Engines: QSCs

For fun measure the depth of what you’re putting it into but I bet a rubber vane is getting hung up on one of the two opening of the pump.

If really stuck, maybe something like a shoehorn device to free it up.

Nothing magical….just need to unstuck it.  Press harder?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Lots of lube on the impeller, housing innards and the splines and rotate as you push and should go in without any tools although the tool could make easier work of it.  Be mindful of the end of the impeller that accepts the removal tool and not to put that side in first.

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

Google impeller tool. Makes the job incredibly easy

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.