• Creator
    Topic

Gerasimos
    Participant

First time I noticed this was after putting the boat back in the water yesterday and going for a long ride to test temps out after servicing the Aftercoolers per Tony’s method.  

There was oil ontop of the transmission which seems to be coming from the Turbo. The oil is clean and looks new so it must be from my recent oil change which is why I believe this is a new thing that happened yesterday.     

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

JimmyK
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Incognito
    Engines: 2 x 6BTA 370s

Those are some ugly pictures!  Lots of saltwater around the intake while underway (looks like even the air filter is covered in rust?!) and the color of the paint on the turbo intake side also speaks volumes.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

The turbo intake is a mess.  That is BEFORE the aftercooler.  The intake is a mess because it is (or was) on a salt water diet.  Either you have broken or improper engine room vents that are allowing salt water/mist into the engine room or a raw water hose blew out or leaked over a period of time.  Or the engine is under a leaky deck that is constantly wet?   The corroded aftercooler you mention would be the EFFECT of this, not the cause.

Gerasimos
    Participant

Tony, I think most of this was caused by the previous owner who had a corroded to hell aftercooler core that failed a pressure test. Two years ago I purchased a new SMX one and replaced and since then the cores have passed the tests and have been serviced (about two weeks ago). I believe that was the cause of the condition of this turbo, but if not what else should I be looking at? Is there some way to “clean” up this turbo to prevent further damage if the source of the leak was repaired at the aftercooler?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Turbo Intake

You have way bigger  issues to deal with than an oil drip

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.