• Creator
    Topic

longbeachisland
    Participant

I have ’06 QSB 5.9s that are getting some winter rehab. I am in the process of replacing original rear motor mounts and am attempting to disconnect the exhaust so I can freely jack the engine with a thin hydraulic ram.Ā 

Zero success loosening the 4 turbo flange bolts so far. I’ve tried all of these: kroil cycles, heat with torch, box wrench/ring spanner, and my last unsuccessful attempt was with a low profile bolt extractor.Ā 

Any final tricks? Is my last option to cut the heads with a dremel? Given how much of a battle these are I worry about getting the remaining thread of the bolt out afterwards.Ā 

Any and all tips greatly appreciated!Ā 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Internal 8 MM Threads in the turbo casting are OK?Ā  Do they need “chasing” or cleaning upĀ  with a tap?

Lots of anti-seize on the new hardware/bolts..Ā  Don’t over tighten the new cap screws– Use a graphite gasket–it’s superiorĀ 

Turbo is 100% good —

But curious–How long had the engine not run when these pics were taken?

longbeachisland
    Participant

Thanks Tony. Grinder did the trick.

Pics of turbo attached. 2000 hours on these.Ā Replacing gasket and bolts next.Ā 

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Looks like you are already past the point of using a 6-point box wrench.

Cut them off and once that is done,Ā  you should have about 1/2″ +Ā  of stud left to deal withĀ 

Concentrated heat from the right torch on the stud and vice gripsĀ  Ā 

New proper hardware/ graphite gasketĀ  and anti-seize on the new boltsĀ 

Let’s alsoĀ  see inside your turbo outletĀ  as to why it seems it may be extra rusty?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.