• Creator
    Topic

Richard Geczi
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ofishal Business
    Engines: QSM11 Cummins
    Shaft Zincs falling off<br /><br />42 Tiara Open QSM 11 Cummins.<br /><br />I just had my Port Trans rebuilt due to failed clutches (locked UP) work completed all good. After the rebuild I had a routine bottom job and had the props checked and balanced.<br /><br />The yard put on 2 new 2 1/2 inch shaft zincs on each shaft like I always do. In 60 days my diver checked my bottom and found the 2 shaft zincs on the port side gone. So I got 2 more and had the diver install extra tight. 30 days later checked the bottom again and they are gone again.<br /><br />Today I put a Dial gauge on each shaft to compare the difference between the trans rebuild side and the original side to see if the shaft alignment is causing a problem.<br /><br />See attached results.<br /><br />Port side (Trans rebuild side) is running .006 out of true, Starb side is running .0025 out. The zincs are not loose or coming off on the starb side but lost 2 sets off the port side.<br /><br />Could that little difference of run out be causing enough vibration to cause them to become loose a fall off in your opinion????<br /><br />I do not feel anything unusual in the way the boat is running. Is it possible that when under a load the run out is worst???<br /><br />When I put the zincs on, I told the diver to hit them with a hammer so they are well seated and than re-tighten in case you are think they are improperly installed.<br /><br />Any input appreciated.<br /><br />Thx<br /><br />Richard Geczi<br /><br />757-472-9944<br /><br />[email protected]
    Attachments:
    PortĀ portĀ StbĀ Stb
    EditĀ Delete Reply
    Ā«Ā Ā 1 of 1318Ā Ā Ā»

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Try this———-aft zinc no more than 3″ in front the the strut–Next zinc,Ā  1/2″ max in front of the aft zinc.. Seat both with a hammer a few times and double, triple, quadruple, tighten as reseat with a hammerĀ  as they are tightened.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.