• Creator
    Topic

Tim Schantz
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Miss Quinn
    Engines: QSB6.7 550hp

I hooked up my Vessel View 4 gauges to my NMEA network trying to get my engine data to read out onto my Garmin 7610. My boat was just repowered with twin Cummins QSB 6.7 and two Vessel View 4 dispalys. One display reads out the port motor and the other reads out the starboard. When I hook it up to the NMEA network both VV4’s are showing up on the network, plus one Mercury Smartcraft Gateway. When I try to get the Garmin to ouput the engine info it is only showing as there is one engine.

Now, the weird thing to me is both VV4’s displays are reading as a Center Engine, not Port or Starboard. When I go into the settings to change the gauges to read as a port motor and a starboard motor, the starboard VV4 reads out the engine data and the port gauge just shows an error for NoComms. When I take the Starboard VV4 gauge and try to get it to read both motors it reads out the data from the starboard motor but shows no data from the port motor.

I beleive the problem is coming from both engines reading as center motors so the Garmin cannot differentiate between the two motors. The question is how do I get the VV4’s set up so it outputs in a way that the Garmin can pick up two motors? Is this in the way the VV4 is set up or does this have to do with the way the wiring is set up?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tim Schantz
    Participant

Welcome to the wonderful world of ā€œSmartCrapā€ā€¦

Let me know when you confirm your MUS settingsā€¦

The MUS on both engines is set to 1 and 2.

Tim Schantz
    Participant

They were originally both set up as Helm 1 and Vessel View 1. I did switch one unit to 2 so now there is a 1 and a 2. I was hoping that would fix the problem, but it did not.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

No jumper is required for individual VV screens, only 2 engines onto 1 screen setups…

Did you setup the screens as DEVICE 1 and DEVICE 2 when you initially configured them?

If using multiple VesselView devices, be sure to assign unique numbers to each unit to avoid data transmission problems. Helm numbers should also match the location of the individual VesselView unit(s).

Tim Schantz
    Participant

Thanks Corey, I will take a look at that next time I am down. If I had to take a guess at it I would think the Starboard engine is set up as the master and the port as the slave. Two things make me think this, I was told I should be starting the Starboard engine first and when I am in Sync mode on the Glendinning system the starboard engine is the lead engine.

One thing I was reading on line is that for the VV4’s to work together the harnesses need to be connected by a jumper at the VV4 junction blocks. It does not appear that there is a jumper between the two junction boxes. Could that be why I can’t display the engine data for both engines on one display?

Sorry for my Ignorance, this is my first foray into NMEA and Vessel View!

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Tim, are you aware how the MUS settings are configured on the engines? This may have something to do with with the port engine shows NO COMM.

Let’s confirm how the engines are configured first.

Setting the MUS ID Jumper on Cummins Marine “Q” Engines

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.