• Creator
    Topic

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

My ZF285A transmission has a shift delay programmable through the Glendinning EEC3 control with a range of 0-2.5 seconds with a default of 1.0seconds. Nothing wrong with the transmissions.

Things that make me go hmmm… What is the purpose of this delay? Why would one be inclined to change from the default of 1.0seconds and what’s the reason 1.0 seconds is the default.

Phil

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant

Just to close the thread, I spoke with Rick at Glendinning. For those that have Glendinning controls, Rick is a wealth of knowledge and a true gentleman who solved this mystery.

There are two delays, both designed as preventative measures. For those that have never driven electronic shift/throttles they are silky smooth and it’s easy to bump them in a moving boat. And yes there are friction adjustments for both detention and movement, but even still these tend to move easier than traditional cable controls. Once your used to them you will love them!

The first delay is known as a “Throttle Delay” and is programmable from 0-2.5 seconds with a 1.0 second default. This delay is a delay in throttle response when going from neutral to a gear (fwd/rev) before the throttle will increase. This is designed so if you accidentally push past the idle gear position for whatever reason you can pull back prior to increased RPMs.

The second programmable delay known as “Gear Delay”, is programable between 0-2.5 second with a 1.0 second default and is active only after the transmission has been in gear for approx 20 seconds. Once the delay is active when the transmission is shifted from gear (fwd/rev) to neutral the delay is to allow the engine to idle down prior to disengaging. Again this is to prevent an accidental shift from a higher RPM to neutral while under load. The 20 second arming is so the transmission will shift out of gear immediately during short burst during docking etc.

The standard EEC-3 control sends the electronic shift into gear signal immediately upon shifting into a gear. With a fully electronic shifting transmission any delay going into gear is something the gear is doing not the Glendinning control. Rick did discuss some advanced controls where there were delays going into gear for larger commerial specialized applications but that is not part of the EEC-3 recreational controller.

Mystery solved…… fun stuff.

Phil

4 users thanked author for this post.

Philip
    Participant

Ya I will have to figure that one out, I can turn a wrench and fly a plane, but clicking is a whole different game.

As for the delay I know the ZF transmission has valuing to slowly engage the clutch but no real delay so to speak. I also know the electronic shift can get touchy when shifting gears close to the dock etc so that may be one reason. But it leaves for some interpretation when trying to get a short burst etc as you have to guess when the transmission delay will end and go into gear. That’s what got me thinking of changing the default delay in the Glendinning shift but wanted to have a meeting of the minds first…

I might try having a conversation with Glendinning and see what the say their design concept was. I will post up after that conversation.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

….

Is that a good answser? I think not…………..ROB or Phil?
    Tony

Tony, it was Phil who raised the question.
    Phil, consider adding an avatar (Tony is clearly a picture guy)

My $0.02 ——- Like a bow thruster time delay to let the “inertias” settle down before change of direction or to delay the “oops” shifts (the opposite of the “touch-move” in chess)

And also for the time required for the engine to settle down to idle speed on quick shifts..

As to defaults, seems like they are always in the middle of the available range.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Shift delay with electronic controls?????.

A good question and always something I wondered about since I installed my 1st set of Mathers Micro-Comanders back in the early 90’s………

The question I always asked was why would would want any delay other than the delay some gears have built into the the shift valve itself?………To me, If I shift, I want it to shift!

So to answer your question–Maybe a safety feature for in-experienced operators to have more time to think after the fact?

Is that a good answser? I think not…………..ROB or Phil?

Tony

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.