• Creator
    Topic

Bill Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Audax
    Engines: Yanmar 4LHA-STE

Hi Tony,
    For those not familiar, my question is for a Yanmar 4LHA-STE.
    In the shut off circuit, there is a relay, which when the stop button is pushed, directs power to the fuel shut-off solenoid. The relay on my port motor has apparently failed. Solenoid is fine. My question is: is this relay really necessary? And if so why. I think I know but would like to hear other opinions. I would actually like to remove it from the circuit.
    Thanks
    Bill

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Bill,

Like usual, when you finally “got into it” , you sorted it out as to what needs to be done, but even more important, you sorted out how it actually was supposed to work…………..That’s the key as to any system on on boat, UNDERSTANDING IT.

And yes, kinda crazy how Yanmar set up there “relays”–Just hanging there on a pull tie or something..

Anyway, thanks for this and hopefully others will learn too and “see” what you saw & learn accordingly….

Tony

Bill Fuller
    Participant

A follow-up on this as I finally had a chance to work on it yesterday. Been fishing too much, and just shutting the engine off by hand.

I will start with how the system works on my Yanmars which will hopefully help others who run up against this issue.

First, the Yanmar is a run without power motor, The solenoid engages to shut off the fuel. So the solenoid is only momentarily engaged, probably no more than 3 seconds at a time when shutting down.
    Components in the system are:
    ignition switch,
    stop button
    relay
    and solenoid.

When the ignition switch is turned on, the wire to the stop switch is provide with 12 volts and the stop switch is “hot”. When the stop button is pushed, voltage is provided to the relay which closes and completes the circuit to the solenoid.
    Also, when the ignition switch is turned on, the wire that powers the solenoid is also “hot”.
    So, two wires from the switch on the dash on the bridge go all the way along the side of the boat, into the bilge area onto the port side of the motor, across the back of the motor (laying across the area just forward of the the bell housing) and finally to the relay. Probably some 25-30 ft. The relay just dangles there, behind the oil filter and very low in the bilge area. And of course there is a wire from the relay up to the solenoid, which is only about 2 feet away. Thus there is a wire from the ignition switch to the relay that is hot whenever the ignition is on.
    The problem arises from that “always hot” wire to the relay always setting in a rather wet environment.

When I unplugged the relay, this one wire was badly corroded. No surprise as it is always hot. So badly corroded that the spade on the relay broke off in the socket!!

I managed to get everything fixed and all is back to stock. I can’t believe that I was able to recover the socket!

To my way of thinking, the relay should be wired as part of the dash and not setting in the bilge So a short wire from the switch to the relay and another short wire from the stop button to the relay. And a long wire from the relay to the solenoid, which is only hot when the stop button is pushed. I think Tony has a name for the type of engineering used on this motor

Another way to look at this is to let my finger be the relay. In this case I think that would be a much safer set-up than what is there now. As long as the stop button can handle the current required.

For now it is all stock and works. I can shut down from the fly bridge again.

If anyone has questions, please ask. I hope I was clear enough to be understood.

Bill F.

Tony Athens

Yes, externally the relay is DINKY, but it’s way better than & 14ga or #16 ga wire running up to the key and then back.. You do not need to use a YANMAR relay–Many after market types will do a good job and cost way less.

Tony

Bill Fuller
    Participant

Yes, I know why. Its just that the wire to the solenoid is so small I thought maybe the current was not high enough to really need the relay.

Tony Athens

There is a REAL reason for the relay–Your shut down solenoid may need 30 + amps or more to energize it.. Do you really want the harness going up to the dash with all those ‘Little Yanmar wires” to try and carry that amount of current?… The relay needs less than 1 amp ..

Come on Bill, you are way beyond that..

Tony

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.