• Creator
    Topic

michael semien
    Participant

Hi Tony
    I have a 31 Bertram with 2 180hp cummins diesels that are old but run just great with no major issues. My top end speed is about 16 knots at max rpm on both engines. I am running 20 x 20 props behind twin disc 2:1 running gear. I heard from the local gallery change the props, change the gear, change the injector pump etc. I would like to keep these engines until they die. What can I do to increase the hp to at least 210hp and get more speed without straining these engines? At the end I will repower probably with cummins since I think they will fit the same existing footprint. My neighbor is a Yanmar man and swears by them but I think that that would be too much of a modify job. I will stick with CUMMINS.
    Maholo from Hawaii
    Capt. Mike

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

michael semien
    Participant

Thanks Tony

Excellent response. Would changing from these twin disc to 1.56 ZF 63a’s be almost seamless as far as size or would I need more modifications.

Thanks.
    Capt. Mike

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Unless your 31 Bertram is a heavy tank, (like over 13,000 lbs) then a pair of good running 6BT 180’s should make real close to rated RPM ( 2500-2550) swinging 20×20 3B’s with 1.56 ZF 63A gears and give you over 20K’s..

Are you sure you are loading the engines to their full potential? Got accurate boost & RPM numbers?

Bottom condition? Quality of props and running gear ??

Bumping up to 210 @ 2600-2700 is doable, but at this point, something may be not as I would think..

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.