• Creator
    Topic

Sean Davis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: White Cap
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

I purchased a couple of the in-line tempeture probe kits for the ZF 63 gear. On the gear it is stamped IN and OUT. I installed the probe on the OUT line to the gear cooler but now looking at it, I think was the wrong side. It looks like the ZF Manual has the flow opposite to what I would think as in and out mean. Unless the markings on the gear are in reference FROM the cooler. I have seen the temp and pressure location pictures but canā€™t find anything else on flow direction.
    Thanks,
    Sean.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

As long as you gear tems stailizes below 150F +/- 10 F, no need to worrys about it…..IMO most gears in marine applicxations are over cooled anyway as the oil rarely reaches over 130-140F for any length of time and does not get rid of the moisture that gets in it………… One might say, “hotter” in better than “cooler”.. The automatic transmission in your car runs in the 160-220F range all the time..

1 user thanked author for this post.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes the second attachment arrows do not follow the in and out direction.

Oil cooler are bi-direction by design. Yes, counter-flow is recommended, not parallel flow, as show in this below link. With the small size of these gear marine gear coolers I cannot see it making much of a difference at all.

Marine Transmission Oil Cooler Flow Paths

2 users thanked author for this post.

Sean Davis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: White Cap
    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 370

To further confuse me I found a couple more images that describe my scenario. It appears to me that the return from the gear cooler is going in the port labeled OUT on the gear.
    Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.