• Creator
    Topic

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

I just bought new airsep filters and oiled them for my 480 ce.i believe I put the same amount of oil on both but after running the boat at wot the other day I noticed the red oil from the port eng filter in bilge and not a drop on the stbd side.engines ran great at wot 89 percent load at 2680 rpms.not sure what the oil blow back means on just the one side.bill

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

William Walter
    Participant

Airsep

Greg my airsep was damaged pretty bad from someone pushing it down into the clamp.after repairing that hole it fixed most of the problem but probably was leaking a little from a crack.was going to do what you did but after talking to walker again I elected to buy a new one.i was also informed that the airsep we have has a finite life due to the baffling.now I don’t lose a drop of oil from the airsep.got a good deal thru west which could special order it.west marine had a 40 percent deal so I got a lot off..Bill

Greg Weaver
    Participant

oil

Ha, just noticed you relied on my thread

Is everything all good now for you, no more leaking drops of oil ???

Greg Weaver
    Participant

Here is what your problem is !

Read my thread and here are a couple pictures for you

Walker Airsep oil leaking Myth figured out

William Walter
    Participant

Airsep

Mark thanks for reply.im starting to think airsep is damaged somehow internally based on some prior history.before purchase of boat the clamp to the turbo was broken and laying on engine. I had the clamp replaced and thought nothing of it.well after leaking oil into bilge I found the reason for the clamp being broken. Someone must have put weight on airsep and pushed it down into a clamp below and put hole in airsep.i repaired the hole but now realize there must be more damage internally then I thought..not sure how to Ck that but I guess a good place to start is with walker.bill

mark gaudy
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Captain's Choice
    Engines: 6 CTA M-3

I might suggest (I should say guess):
    -Check your engine oil level , if it’s much above the low mark, remove some until it is at the low mark or just barely above it.
    – inspect the airsep housing carefully looking for a crack, paying special attention to area where the filter seats. Make sure you do not over tighten the band clamp that holds it to the turbo, that can cause strain and crack. There is usually a warning sticker on the airsep noting clamp torque.
    -not likely, but return line check valve to oil pan could be malfunctioning, or has it been dislodged from it’s mounting bracket? It has to be at or above the oil level in the pan for the airsep to work correctly.
    – be sure drain port is pointing straight down. Good luck

William Walter
    Participant

More info

Ok checked bilge today after running at wot the other day.definately have engine oil in airsep seems to drip to bottom of airsep then leak into bilge.this seems to be worse when I run at wot which I only did to check all my numbers.stbd engine exhibits none of these leaks and when I run my hand at bottom of that airsep I get just a drip of oil. Hand picture is when I wiped my hand at bottom of port airsep. Red is residual of oil I put on new filters.that engine also seems to smoke more and seems bluer in color..

William Walter
    Participant

Airsep

Ran boat for 2 hours up to mystic..ran great .. I changed my airsep filters because they were pretty black after cleaning twice.not understanding exactly how the walker system works exactly I decided to change the filter because they were old and I could not get them clean.it seemed strange that the port dripped oil and the stbd didn’t after oiling.running two hours tomorrow so will monitor but in my gut I think something is going on with that port engine.i suspect something with the enviroment system but don’t know how to check that.

glenn111
    Participant

Rob seems to have it right. Other than Diesel fuel?

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Like you pretty much said – If the oil is red (not black) it’s not related to the crankcase / check valve…
    Probably best to just clean it all spic & span (like the rest of your boat is as I noticed a few weeks ago) and WWM…… Have you done that? Any developments?

William Walter
    Participant

Pics

Ok got some photos but not sure if that’s helpful.its obvious oil from air sep as I have nothing else red .I tried to research it a bit on the web site and am concerned about check valve that goes to oil pan .if this is stuck open does oil flow backwards into airsep and maybe burn.. bill

William Walter
    Participant

Pics

Headed to boat tomorrow. Will do

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

Any way to post some pictures so we can see what you’re seeing?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.