• Creator
    Topic

Chris Braud
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Line Dancer
    Engines: Caterpillar 3208 @ 355hp

I have noticed lately that my starboard clutch is slow to engage reverse and feels as though it´s slipping or not engaging completely. I´ve tried disconnecting the cables and shifting the selector manually at the clutch and get the same result. I´ve also checked and the filter screen which was clean and changed the oil (40wt) and that did not make any difference either. Pulled the selector and replace the o-ring, reinstalled and double checked the cable connections to the shift selector linkage. No issues with forward at all, in fact just made a 300 mile run and pressure was steady the entire trip. Pull into port and now have no reverse. When I shift into reverse the pressure drops and does not build? I’m thinking that the reverse piston seals are shot. Any ideas for what else to check before I have to pull this transmission? Also would like to know if i am in danger of causing further damage if I continue to run this transmission with it behaving like it is?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Chris Braud
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Line Dancer
    Engines: Caterpillar 3208 @ 355hp

MG507 Filter Screen

Tony, I’m having trouble locating a replacement filter screen for the MG507. When servicing I accidentally stepped on it and it crushed. I straightened it out as best i can but I would like to replace it with a new one. I would also like to replace the cover with the o-ring as the previous owner stripped out the threads used to insert the bolt to remove it. Will the screen for the MG5075 work for the MG507? That’s the only one I’ve been able to locate.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The MG 507 is a really good ol’ gear , but all things eventually will fail. From your description, your diagnoses could be right.. As to using the gear, no contingency issues other than you have “no brakes”.. ………………………………Sounds scary to me..

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.