• Creator
    Topic

RANDY HASSELL
    Participant
    Vessel Name: HASSELL5
    Engines: YANMAR 370 6LYA-STP

I repowered with 370 Yanmars back in 2006.  I think this is just before all the electronic stuff was added to these engines.  Yanmar back then had a product and procedure called “turbo-wash” that was a soapy/water mixture that got sprayed directly into the air intake while the engines were rev’ed up and under load.  This was intended to remove any carbon build up and clean the system.   My engines have about 1700 hours now and could probably benefit from this.  However, Yanmar/Mack Boring no longer sells the turbo-wash product and I’m trying to find out if this method is considered safe for the engines.  I did find a product online from http://www.revivemyengine.com that seems similar.  Any help would be appreciated.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes, Yanmar’s best vintage IMO, great engine, treat it to the highest of standards.

I’d remove the air cleaner first and get a good visual of the compressor fins so you know how things looked before the “wash” and then give it a go with a squirt of Dawn in a spray bottle … a few minutes of spraying out at sea at cruise.  Then compare what you see afterwards as to where you started…

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.