• Creator
    Topic

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

HI Guys

Putting my port engine issues aside – I decided rather stupidly to replace the wet elbows on both engines as they both have a weep – I started with the port engine as prior to the rev’s / power issue I was going to do the aftercooler and HX maintenance – so thought I better go through them anyway as blocked aftercooler etc is probably one of the things i need to investigate. Anyway after noticing the port elbow was now dripping fairly fast I thought I best change it, and then move on to the other parts.

The elbow was held on with non standard stainless bolts (A70) fortunately they came undone nice n easy. Unfortunately – as I removed the elbow – a load of exhaust cement fell out – no gasket had been used just a crap load of exhaust cement – to account for the fact that there was not a lot of mating face left (port engine has original turbo – 1500+hours) – so the turbo housing has seem some water at the mating face and probably higher up.

So question is – are the water cooled housings available for the holset turbo – or is it a complete new turbo?

Also just to make life real difficult – is it normal to seal the 6″ pipe to the elbow and then clamp it? the only way of getting it off was to destroy the pipe – this didnt seem right!

So once I can determine how to move forward – I’ll be looking at new exhaust design long term (dont have much headroom – but must be able to do something.. ) and shorter term – putting a drain in the mufflers – so that no water is likely to slosh up – whats your thoughts on doing this?

Steve

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Stephen Oliver
    Participant

Hi Tony

Totally agree. It’s unfortunate that so many boats suffer the same fate.. you would think that the boat builders or cummins would address it, but when they can supply expensive parts regularly and new engines after 1000 hours or so.. why would they!

Anyway new risers (inspired by SBM) and new mufflers are on the to-do list.

Steve

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

The picture of the turbo you posted says one thing————————-It’s been on a salt diet for years….

No sense replacing it until you solve the base issue–A very poor Exhaust design..

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.

Stephen Oliver
    Participant

… I know it could be salt damage too – but from the pictures i’d say not too bad if it was – like I say worst case – machine and sleeve – my existing housing couldnt have that done.. so i’m better off anyway (new housings here are $1900aud)

Steve

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

“(bit of surface rust ā€“ but that could well be 10 years in a shed in Tasmania (it gets wet and cold there) “

That could very well be…..

Stephen Oliver
    Participant

Hi Rob

No not replaced because of that – Australia a few years ago was flash with cash (and cummins parts were cheap) and the seller bought a carribean (bertram) 35 with twin 330hp 6btas and as he was a fisherman – went through the boat getting everything back to new. His mechanic at the time (who he now thinks was a bit keen) suggested it had a slight weep – so he bought a new one – and 2 new elbows (i get an old elbow too with the turbo) at the time he paid less than 1800aud for the turbo and 2 elbows (over 3kaud for the turbo and 6500aud per elbow now!)

Different market now… but I got the turbo and elbow for $300aud – so even if i just use the housing and have the core assembly overhauled – it will still work out 20-40% cheaper than an off the shelf recon – plus if I clean the elbow up I can then sell it.

I dont have any pictures that I can post currently (ad has been taken down – and I didnt save them) but will when I get it. it looks like its seen a bit of water (bit of surface rust – but that could well be 10 years in a shed in Tasmania (it gets wet and cold there) Certainly a lot better than mine – so worst case – machine the outlet and resleeve – and still cheaper than buying a chinese turbo to use the housing.. and less risk.

I’ve seen HX40M’s going on ebay with no turbine housing so just core and compressor housing for 3x what I paid so feel I have done ok – now if only I could drop on a few aftercoolers like that šŸ™‚

Steve

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

So the used turbo you found failed due to center bearing failure from loss of oil? That could make a good rebuild candidate. It sat in a shed for 10 years?
    Cast iron likes to rust…….Can you post pictures of that turbo?

Stephen Oliver
    Participant

Hi Guys

So some pictures of the suspect turbo.. Tony – feel free to use this as an example – In its defence – its 20+ years old and was still operating albeit at lower boost – which goes some way to showing how much abuse they can take!

My turbo guys said that the outlet was so far gone he couldnt machine it to resleeve it without going into the water gallery – So I have been trying to find a housing (china and locally) without much look. Even looked at chinese turbos to use the cast iron section – but not convinced they are the right casting.

I have now picked up a second hand turbo (at about 1/2 the cost of a chinese turbo) – much better condition that mine – but still going to put it though the recon process – it was 7 years old when taken out of commission – replaced due to an ‘oil leak’ according to the mechanic – but the owner was going mad replacing everything so replaced this. It then stood in his shed for 10 years!

Still trying to find an answer on the muffler drain!

So anyway – pictures are below.. Enjoy! (oh and yes that is exhaust cement where someone bogged it up!)

Steve

Stephen Oliver
    Participant

Tony

I know the exact reason the turbos are going south.. and its all contained in the great info in this forum and on your website. I dont need to post pictures for anyone to tell me – I know cause I have seen all the pictures of crappy installations and read all your posts about exhaust designs.. I will post pictures though as a lesson for future readers. Mine IS a crappy installation.

I am a mechanical design engineer by trade so the reading on here is interesting and how I learn what is good and bad about my boat.

My main issue is making the boat useable for now (we use it all year round) and then working on future proofing it as funds allow. I dont have the funds to fix everything upfront especially paying AUD pricing. $3k for turbos, $6.5k list price for elbows, and the prices just go up. as the turbo is now – I cannot reassemble and get a seal – so I have to do something to fix the turbo.

I have asked around on a number of forums and done a lot of research but got no answers – does having drains in the mufflers that operate on shutdown make sense in the short term to prevent water sloshing up into the turbo should we be stationary in sloppy conditions? (it also allows me to prevent the engines flooding on a failed start as I have no way of emptying the mufflers) Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As always all the info and advice is appreciated.

Steve

Tony Athens

Complete New turbo’s are well under $2000 USD……….But no sense to replace until you solve the reason they are going “south”……..

Tony

Stephen Oliver
    Participant

Hi Tony

I’ll take some of the turbo as i’m going to removing it this weekend – my phone died as i removed the elbow hence no pictures.

I already know the exhaust isnt set up well (from this site) .. ok when moving as there is a fall and waterlift mufflers – but not good when stopped.. the resting water level is too high in the mufflers, which is what i think happened with the turbo in the past on the previous owners mooring (open to water traffic) – this will be addressed eventually, but in the shorter term – i’m looking at putting in a drain to drain into the bilge on shut down (possibly via a electric solenoid valve and 1/2 or 3/4 pipe). Should keep everything dry in the turbo until I can address (and afford) a new exhaust system.

I have spoken to some local turbo shops who regularly machine the housings, put inserts in and recondition. as the local price for these things is 3300aud upwards – recon is a much cheaper option (<1400aud) if possible. I’m not trying to skimp on repairs – I’m just finding that the boat has been badly repaired in places – just to keep it running – not ideal but hey i’m stuck with it now!

Photo’s will be posted at the weekend.

Steve

Tony Athens

Exhaust issues

Steve,

No answer from me until I see good pictures of all. Pic need to show everything from all angles & perspectives and inside the exhasut outlet of the turbos–Clear & in-focus.. Post here and send direct to me in Hi-Res ( about 1 Mb each)

I need to “see” what you see.

Tony

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.