• Creator
    Topic

Robert Oliveira
    Participant

1990 6BTA 300 M2 with a Prestolite alternator (appears to be one main wire to the Battery, and one other for the tach).

Port Tach went to zero while underway disabled the glending synch. Both stations read zero. 

I’ve tried tracing wires but not sure I’m checking the right wires. One wire from Alternator somehow lead to 2 at the VDO tach. 

Any suggestions how to diagnose? The alternator is charging. 

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Snoop around on google –dozens of after market suppliers– DB  Electric comes to mind..

Robert Oliveira
    Participant

Options?

Understand totally. is rebuilding the only option? Or could I buy a replacement?

Tony Athens

Loose a bearing in your 22 yrs old alternator and your tach will not be your issue. Remember it spins at 2.5X+ engine rpm and is part of the coolant pump drive– IMO, you are on borrowed time so  do it,  along with the idler that is also part of the belt drive system…

Robert Oliveira
    Participant

Options?

Thanks, I figured that would be the best option. Unfortunately I’m in the middle of a trip, so swapping the alternator would probably be easier. Are there no compatible drop ins for my set up? I don’t see anything on your site? Thanks again!! Also, given that charging seems to be working well, I’d really like to try and get the tach circuit working in the mean time. 

Tony Athens

The older wiring factory diagrams are on this site

30+ yr old alternator– Time to take them into a old fashioned alternator shop and have the gone thru top to bottom

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.