• Creator
    Topic

Dave Lincon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Day 5
    Engines: 6CTA

Removing port side motor after cooler and broke a wire under/behind it.  Looks like it may have actually been on its way out for a while.   Doesn’t appear that I can replace just the wire as the nut is totally frozen on and almost totally rounded.    

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dave Lincon
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Day 5
    Engines: 6CTA

Any reason they would cause motor to idle higher or did I probably hit the linkage too? lol 

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

Grid heater relay

They are the grid heater relays. I disconnected mine years ago. 

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Those are Mag Switches……..  If your engines start(turn on the ignitions an just bump the engine over to see if the starters engage) then I would put odds on those operating the Grid Heaters that heat the intake air on cold start.  You might see a change in how the voltage swing changes in initial start up.  We have the 480CE’s(6CTAM4) and we had our mechanic remove the fuse that feeds the low current inputs to those mag switches.  We are in Ohio and we do not miss having those Grid Heaters.  We use Wolverine Oil Pan Heaters instead.

That’s what it looks like to me…………

You can trace the other end to the heavy power runs to see if they end up at the grid heaters that are the “Square Spacers” between the intake and the feed from the Aftercooler.  There are some pictures of the heater connections in the article about learning your 6CTA in Tony’s Tips.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.