• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Matt.
  • Creator
    Topic

Matt
    Participant

480 CE engines on a Sea Ray 420 Sundancer.

When you toggle the start switch to the first click, where it normally says “wait to start” for a few seconds, this time I also got the “stop engine” light illuminated, and I heard an odd ratcheting sound. It sounds as if the sound is coming from a pump next to the fuel manifold.

I was able to see the “stop engine” flash a code of 2-3-7.

Unfortunately the videos are too large to update.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Matt

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Matt
    Participant

Thanks Rob! Still some things that need to be done to make it truly ā€œSeaboard Styleā€ but getting better everyday.

I am so appreciative of the help from this board, you, Corey, Tony and countless others have really saved me a lot of heartache and got me moving in the right direction to correct some manufacturers laziness

Still some more to do, but itā€™s a labor of love. She has given me so many great memories on the water!

Matt

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Glad you got it sorted out and thanks for posting the outcome. From what’s was visible in the video of the engine things look pretty nice.

Matt
    Participant

Thanks Barry!

Mechanic just called. It seems the engine diagnostic switch was in the on position for the suspect engine. It is located under the dash by my feet. Just the perfect height for a Jack Russell to hit while chasing shadows(or for me to kick). First time for everything( had the boat for 12 years) Live and learn. He also said he didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary with the sound of the solenoid, and said they ran great, sounded good.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Matt

1 user thanked author for this post.

Barry
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Cygnus

Sounds like a starter solenoid to me.

Matt
    Participant

Here are a couple videos of the fault code and the odd sound it makes. Sorry for the length, and I hope I didnā€™t use any inappropriate language.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vj2sgi4sch2dsf4/IMG_1520.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kevqg9ac50ugtcb/IMG_1521.MOV?dl=0

Matt
    Participant

update:
    My mechanics say the code is “External Speed Command Input Code”

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.