• Creator
    Topic

George Forrer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Think Big
    Engines: Cummins QSC 540hp

Not sure if it’s something I should be worried about. I’m putting together a parts list so if I need something I would like to add it to the list. Thanks George

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35’ Cabo ‘FUGA’
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540’s

I pulled mine and ended up replacing the turbo to exhaust flange gasket with new graphic gaskets. When you get the covers off most of the paint will be cooked off as it’s the hottest part of the turbo. You will also see a small round cover with three bolts. Those can leak also but I have never taken them apart.

The exhaust flange bolts can be stubborn. I suggest soaking them in penetrating lubricant daily for a few days to help. And a high quality 6 point 10mm box end wrench is a must. Use new bolts when reassembling and lots of high temp anti seize. I plan to loosen one bolt at a time and recoat with anti seize as part of my yearly maintenance. If you can’t get the bolt loose you end up having to cut the head off which isn’t hard but time consuming. Rust gets under the bolt head and puts just enough pressure on the bolt to seize it. Most times cutting the bolt head relieves the pressure and a vise grip will remove the remaining stud.

Cleaning up all the soot can be tricky, it’s sticky stuff. I wire bushed gently and wiped it down with solvent. Then a light coat of paint so I can watch for future leaks.

4 users thanked author for this post.

George Forrer
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Think Big
    Engines: Cummins QSC 540hp

Thanks Rob I will pull the cover off and take a little better look at it. Doesn’t sound like it’s a big deal or a big problem then.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Leaky Wastegate

A not uncommon issue — Here’s a prior where we covered it. A photo “how-to” of re-sealing the cover and shaft would be nice. Phil, have you done yours?

https://www.sbmar.com/community/topic/heavy-soot-around-turbo-wastegate/

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.