• Creator
    Topic

Mark
    Participant
    Engines: 2007 330-2900 6BTA Diamond

Do these things randomly fail or does there have to be a reason? Exactly 5yrs since I put it in new. The last time it failed 5 yrs ago some ding bat left the sea cock closed, thats not wat happened this time PS when I install the new one rotate it CW or ACW? Mark

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

Impeller Tool

Call the number on the WEB site to place an order 

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Echo’ing Donald Roth and others…….

I have adopted a process where I have the impeller changed, along with oil and associated filters, every year before winter layup and keep the impellers that were removed as emergency spares.  Each year I cycle out the inventory so that we always have a new one in the pumps and a slightly used one in the spare parts bin.

I try to keep spares on board of the items that would be hard to get in a timely manner when out on a cruise far from home port.  You can always find helping hands, some parts can be tough to find in a pinch.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Impeller Maintenance

Usually  (not always)  when you “see” that type of failure, it’s from the impeller rubber literally bonding to the inner housing from sitting and being totally dry,  and on startup, the blades just rip off.   

As to the 5 year thing–beyond stupid–If the operater is that bad, what about all the crap that must be in the aftercooler or its overall condition?  Wonder what the engine looks like externally?

pwrobert
    Participant

They do randomly fail. But most wear out and loose efficiency. I change impellers every 2 years or 300 hours whichever. <br />my Stock Sherwood pumps have been removed and replaced with SMX pumps and the Sherwoods are relegated to emergency spares. 

Mark
    Participant
    Engines: 2007 330-2900 6BTA Diamond

Thanks for the tip. Dont think that tools still available. The website is very vague when it comes to placing an order.

donald roth
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Paumalu
    Engines: Cummins 6BT 180 hp

I replace the impeller annually, call it cheap insurance.                                         <br />Some guys replace every other year, some others when it shows signs of wear, but I don’t know anybody that will run one for 5 years.                                         Its a moving part, it flexes with every rotation, wear is normal and expected!

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

Impeller life

FWIW, I replace my impellers every 2 seasons. It’s such a critical part , I won’t take the risk. I wait for the SBMAR spring sale to make the purchase. It doesn’t matter which way you twist the vanes when you install, they will flip the first time they rotate. Google impellertool, a really cool insertion tool that makes the install very easy 

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.