• Creator
    Topic

Nathan Brady
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Checkmate
    Engines: 450hp 6cta

I have a new to me 32’ Stuart angler with a 450hp 6cta and a zf280 1.5/1 gear and it has a new smx digital gauge panel on it and i had a few questions on the readings of this. What I’m wanting to know is what would the normal cruising range be for egt and boost? Both of my readings seem relatively low. Also the gear pressure stops at 400psi, I’ve been told that gear creates more than 400? If so could this gauge be programmed to accommodate that? 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Please post a good picture of  “this gauge panel”  ..

Nathan Brady
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Checkmate
    Engines: 450hp 6cta

Smx checks

So when i got the boat the guys had installed this gauge panel not all long before i got it and was having issues with it not ready anything but the tach. They ended up doing test thru sbmar and then sent the head unit in and they found that the unit was faulty and sent them a new one. They plugged it in and it all sees to be working but all this was during the sale of the boat so nothings been checked for sure to make sure it’s accurate and that’s what I’m doing now. When they installed it they got ride of the factory Cummins harness and installed all new sending units they got from sbmar and they wired everything directly to the sending units with marine 18/2 wire so it’s all new. The temp, tach, volts, and oil pressure seem to be reading correctly even though onwoild like to double check the tach to be sure. But if it is reading correctly then the boat is running short on rpm loaded. Clean bottom new tuned prop full fuel i was seeing 2550, assuming the tach is correct. But coolant temp never creeps up much more than 160-165 and egts if i remember right are only around 800-900. That’s why i want to double check the tach and also why i feel i might not have accurate boost and egt readings. And the gear oils pressure when in gear pegs the gauge at 400. So I’m thinking i need to check the tach first? Then i guess make sure i have the correct sending units somehow? I just want to make sure i have accurate readings before i have a prop reworked is all 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Boost and EGT DO NOT have  anything “NOMAL” as to readings  Both are related to the vessels load at different RPM’s and the vessel characteristics as to how it loads the engine.. The props are  are a major parts on the overall equation..

If this is a planing hulls and you cruise at planing speeds,  you need to record RPM, Boost and EGT and make a simple to read table.. Then post it — I’ll take a peek.. Hopefully your engines make  over 2700 RPM when the vessel is loaded up  as you use the boat .. No-load RPM  in neutral, engine hot , should be about 2950.

Gear oil pressure–Most ZF280 gears run in the 330-375 PSI range once warm.. Neutral/idle in the 50-75 PSI range.  What are you reading?

New VDO 400 PSI sender?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.