• Creator
    Topic

Bryan
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kaikena
    Engines: 6CTA Diamond 450

I want to hook up an external alarm to the SMX Digital View display for my Cummins 6CTA 8.3. From the webpage it looks like the alarm lead closes to ground when there is an alarm. Can I hook that lead (pin3) up to an external buzzer ground and run a fused positive lead to the positive end of the buzzer? Thanks

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

I see, yes you are correct that the panel set points for the ED-1/ED-X display on a 480CE cannot be changed because that set-point number is determined by the engine ECM controller… not the display. Think of your display as a “monitor” and nothing else.

The displays we use (SMX DigitalView) to indicate instrumentation on mechanical engines uses software that Seaboard developed in-house and therefore we have much more flexibility to monitor and alarm as we wish on the display side of things since the engine has no computer, etc…

Only way for you to alarm external of the engine is to incorporate a redundant analog style alarm system with a simple panel and use of an alarm switch that will be installed on the engine somewhere.

Redundant Alarms – The Least Expensive Engine Insurance

Hope that clears things up a bit…

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Alarm

I was asking if my original digital Cummings gauge had the same exact software as the new smx gauges.you had said on an earlier post that the set point for the alarm could not be changed .im interested in about a 180 temp alarm so I’d have more warning but I’ll have to do it a different way.may hook it up though as a backup but would be nice if you could have alarm go off at whatever temp you wanted.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

Bill, are you asking me if you can change the alarm set point on an “analog” Cummins instrument panel or on our digital version?

On an analog system the alarm is either driven by the switch itself or by an embedded alarm board… typically those set points are fixed.

William Walter
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Positive rate
    Engines: Cummings 480ce

Smx display

Corey on another thread I had asked about the possibility of changing the alarm temp set point which you said was impossible to do.would the software and wiring be the same on my older Cummings gauge to at least add a backup to my primary alarm.i have no paperwork on my Cummings gauges so you had sent the manual for the smx gauges.are all the functions the same.would the gauge alarm temp be the same as my primary.Bill

Bryan
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Kaikena
    Engines: 6CTA Diamond 450

Corey,

Thanks for the quick reply. Now, back to work…

Bryan

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator

Bryan… that’s EXACTLY how the external alarm function is supposed to work. Wire the (+) side of the buzzer to the switched IGN lead of the key or some other switched IGN source and use the red external alarm wire lead from the back of the display for the (-) side of the buzzer.

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.