• Creator
    Topic

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Chasin Crustacean
    Engines: Qsl9

First post here. I’m a commercial crabber out of the sf Bay Area. I have a 35rp lobsterboat that I just repowered with a qsl9 405. Engines running great and I’m just getting ready for my second oil change. My question concerns the breather tube off the crank case. I’m getting a good amount of smoke from the tube when at low rpms. A slight bit of oil, not enough to drip. The field tech said it may be from too much oil but we adjusted the amount and it still does it. The engine now has a light dusting of ash on it. Not a huge fan of a dirty engine room or smoke. Anyways 2 part question, should I be concerned? If not does anybody have a suggestion on a filter? Hopefully they don’t just tell me it’s ok until the warranty is up.

Thanks,

C

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Beer and Diesel

Good on you!

Let us know how the 180 t-stats work and whatever else you end up doing. Us recreational guys learn A LOT from the commercial high time guys.

Cheers,

phil

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

Talking my language…

New to the forum, obviously, but huge fan of the fact that you guys like beer as much as I do. I’ve spent countless hours researching over the last 10 years trying to figure out what engine was best suited for me. Tony might not remember but he helped me 3 years ago on Ā pulling the trigger on buying this boat.

I’m reaching out for his knowledge again because I know he’s the best. The tech on the boat today (3rd) was a really nice guy but knows nothing about marine. Spends 90% of his time working on generators in SF. Thanks for the post Phil.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

I'll bet you….

I will bet you a case of beer that the Cummins tech doesn’t know enough to truly solve your problem and that Tony’s suggestions are spot on.

Cummins doesn’t have a 180 t-stat for the engine because the don’t recognize the issue!

And I will bet you another case of beer that Tony knows your engine better over the internet via pictures and pointed question and can help you than you’re Cummins certified tech. I’m NOT bad mouthing Cummins or the tech, I use a Cummins tech. But there are times when Cummins just doesn’t know the engine like Tony does. I’m saying Tony knows his ‘stuff’ and can give you trouble free like your truly after.

You came here here with an issue and wanting a real solution. Take the time to answer the questions in detail and you will be glad in the end.

phil

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

Hose off crankcase to air filter

had Cummins on the boat today. They didn’t seem worried about the health of the engine. The amount of “gas vapors” coming out of the blow by seemed “normal” and blamed it on poor venting in engine room. They ran a hose off the crankcase directly to the air filter and it made it much better. I asked if it was a concern and they said no. I mentioned what we talked about and they said 151-162 is plent temp? Guy seemed super nice and not worried. Guess I’ll just live with it. About to order a case of zincs on the website. Do you know if it’s 3/8 or 1/2 pencil zincs on the qsl9?

Thanks again Tony!

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

Coolant

Thanks Tony! Also I’ve added 2 gallons of coolant to the reservoir over the last 200 hours. I haven’t been able to find any leaks.Ā Could this all be connected?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

180 F stat for a QSL9

This will fix your problem.. Then, Ā after you see the a major difference ( it may take an oil change as I’ll bet if you look closely, you even see some actual condensation on your valve cover cap) , if you really want to keep things clean, install an Envirovent..

This is what you need:

Thermostat Kit for Cummins QSC & QSL, 160Ā°F/180Ā°F opening

Tony

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

6 pack

Drinks are on me if that’s the fix. What’s the steps to making the fix? You guys provide the parts?

Tony Athens

Bet a 6-pak you are looking at condensation from running cold–you are looking a steam and some small about of blow-by…..

You need a 180 thermostat kit–Cummins WILL NOT help you on this………….. 99% your issue will go away with 1-2 runs and your engine will run noticeably much better during the days.. We see this quite often with guy that run “to easy” and have a “lazy 160F” start that came from the factory..You need to get that oil temp up to over 200 F and you are not doing it the way you run with the 160 factory stat..

Tony

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

Picture

screen shot

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

Temp

My temp is 151f at 700 and 160f at 1700. I’ve never seen it over 160f.

Im not sure on the gph but I think it’s around 12gph at 1700 from the math I’ve done.

The fumes seemed to become less with higher rpms, but now it seems to stay pretty much the same from 600-1700.

Tony Athens

A couple of more things…

1) Ā Since you do so much lower speed running, does you coolant temp drop below 165F for much of the ti,e when you are pulling gears of running slow?

2) Does you coolant temp get about 165F or a tad higher when cruising at 1700 or so?

3) What is your fuel burn in GPH at 1700 RPM?

4) What is you fuel burn in GPH at 2100 RPM

5) When you see the fumes, it is typically after running easy and when idling?

6) What do you see when the engine has been running for an hour or so at 1700 RPM and things have been HOT?

Tony

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

Info

We run at 1700rpms 14knts and burn about 60 gallons on. 12 hour strip. 4 of those hours are spent at 1700 the other 8 at 700rpm. Engine has 450 hours on it. Cruise WOT 2100rom 19 knots.

Tony Athens

QSL9 Blow by questions

Picture are good for now.. Ā From the pics of the air side of the turbo, you must be running around at less than 10 GPH at cruise?

Read below & fill in some more blanks

I need your engine serial number, in- service date and current hours, PLUS I want to know what instrumentation you look at each dayā€¦ā€¦.

I need your average CRUISE RPM when going from Point A to Point B, & your WOT RPM when loaded as you use the boat along with vessel speeds. at cruise and WOTā€¦

ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦..In so many words, tell me allā€¦.

Tony

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

A few more

A few more

Tony Athens

Be sure I “see” your exhaust elbow/riser, your turbo, Ā and your air cleaner..

Tony

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

Hope these help a bit. You really can’t see Ā smoke unless your down there with a flashlight.

Christian Cavanaugh
    Participant

Thank you!

Thanks Tony! I’ll be running the gear tomorrow. I’ll snap some photos. Really appreciate it. Happy Holidays!

Tony Athens

C,

I know this engine top to bottom like no other and I speak the language of commercial fishing to where I feel 100% comfortable I am at your level of expertise……………..With that said, you are a few 100 miles north & I am here, but luckily we have a new technology available………..It’s called the digital world and we are picture guys…………Put my eyes inside your engine room using a good digital camera.. I need to see all, and I mean all from all angles & perspectives..

I need your engine serial number, in- service date and current hours, Ā PLUS I want to know what instrumentation you look at Ā each day ( pictures)……. I need your average CRUISE RPM when going from Point A to Point B, & your WOT RPM when loaded as you use the boat along with vessel speeds. at cruise and WOT……………………..In so many words, tell me all………You give me what I need , & Ā I will sort you out..

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.