• Creator
    Topic

Fireisland1
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Riverwind
    Engines: cummins QSB 380

I took the sound advice from this forum. I removed the stock Cummins exhaust and had a new custom shower head made.
    Now all the water is down stream. The old exhaust came off and looked new with no corrosion anywere, but I plan on keeping this boat for a long time so I thought it was best to avoid future problems. The water hose is close to turbo heat so I will adjust that next.

2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Gotcha. BTW, the Borel bands temperature setpoint is 167 deg F, atleast that was what the prior bands were.

Fireisland1
    Participant

Rob . Makes sense . When Marine Manifond made the shower head he made the holes larger on the top. To help send more water to the top of the hose. The head goes deep into the hose so the band is about an inch from the head. I will shift it to 3:00 . Thanks for the heads up on false alarms. I did not think of that.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

So it is from Borel?

The band should be on the exhaust hose at the point where it is off of the showerhead but close to it.

The sensor on the side (as opposed to the top) will alleviate any false alarms at lower rpms where the water flow is low and the top of the shower is not seeing the flow/spray that the bottom and sides would be getting.

This YT clip should give you a low flow visual.

https://youtu.be/FyrfhFmFZVs

And, to take this a step further, attached is a picture of a modified spray ring just to deal with that issue. You can see how the lower portion is restricted to divert the water flow higher.

Fireisland1
    Participant

Rob. That is the band that came with it. The sensor is riveted to it. My thought was the hose being thinner then the hose plus shower head, it would transfer heat faster. Also heat rising so I went with 12 oā€™clock. If your way is correct I can move it . I did not clamp it down yet. I made the hx hose a bit long so it would rise over the turbo leaving an air gap. In a straight line it was a bit close. The wire hose helped keep the bend graceful.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

That does not look like the sensor band supplied by Borel, at least not the ones Iā€™ve installed. Did they redesign it or is that some other.? With the Borel you put the band up higher, just after the clamps on the mixer, and the band is oriented so the sensor is positioned on the side of the hose, in the 3 or 9 oā€™clock position..

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Looks 100% safe to me..Good Job!……..

Not sure why the wire hose from the HX to the mixer needs to be that long , or why it even need to be wire? For sure they do not last as long, especially when bent ..

Borel Alarm………….. Zero experience with them or how quick they’ll tell you you lost raw water flow..

Tony

Fireisland1
    Participant

Blessing

Seeking Tonyā€™s blessing on final exhaust installation. Iā€™m not sure how far back to put the temp sensor. Also does the bend in the water hose look proper?

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

That system will treat you “Seaboard right”!

Fireisland1
    Participant

Rob, I ordered a section of 1.5ā€ exhaust hose with wire. I will cut it a bit long and make an arch. This will leave lots of room for heat. I will also put a sock over. Thanks for the link.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Nice. Sure simplifies things when you have good height and room to work. Are you going to reroute or wrap the water hose. Slipping on a heat wrap like this could be a simple fix to make you sleep better…

https://www.amazon.com/Heatshield-Products-240003-Long-Sleeve/dp/B002U4Y9LA?th=1

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Looks like you did it right and avoided guaranteed serious issues down the road……….Good job!

Tony

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.