• Creator
    Topic

Bob Foster
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Mini Dealz
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA 8.3 M3

Hello everyone,

I am new on the forum here and also new to Diesel power in general having just upgraded from a 1997 SeaRay 330DA with twin 7.4MPI to my 1999 Formula 41PC with twin Cummins 6CTA’s. I have been poking around the bilge getting familiar with everything and I keep focusing on the fact that both engines seem to be leaking oil as there are absorbent mats under them collecting the leaking oil. I replaced the mats with new ones to monitor the rate of the leaks and while cleaning the bilge I actually found what appears to be an oil pan bolt. These engines have just under 1000 hours on them and other than smokey start-ups/ seem to be in perfect running condition.

Has anyone on here experienced these bolts coming loose or in this case backing completely out? The engines do vibrate at idle but to me it seems normal so I am unsure if this would cause the bolts to loosen or simply come out. Is checking the torque on the pan bolts something that needs to be done as part of the maintenance?

I was told by someone that the 1000 hour service is due to be completed soon and I have been trying to research what that entails but to no avail. If anyone has any insight or a procedure for that service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Checking all of the bolts seems like it could be a bit tricky so any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Bob

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bob Foster
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Mini Dealz
    Engines: Cummins 6CTA 8.3 M3

Tony ,

Thank you very much for the reply and also for confirming that the valves will need adjustment at 1000 hours. I have read most of the articles pertaining to this engine and I will definitely give the marine age article a read as well, I must say that the articles that I have read thus far have been extremely informative. Once I have some more free time I will be happy to upload some pictures of the bolt that I found in the bilge here and I apologize that I haven’t yet as I have been sidetracked reupholstering my entire ceiling in my boat.

Thank you again ,

Bob

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

#1—————-Post pictures of what you are “seeing” so we can see too…

#2——————-1000 hour service? Put that out of your vocabulary and learn the term “Marine Age”.. Lots here on it………………………………. But yes, your valve need an adjustment at 1000 engine hours.

#3—————Read these articles? This is the gospel for your engines health and it has nothing to do with engine hours..

https://www.sbmar.com/category/articles/marine-aftercoolers/

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.