• Creator
    Topic

Kevin Wallace
    Participant

Hello all. I just subscribed to the forum and looking for recommendations. I just purchased a 98 carver 400 cmy with 2 6bta 5.9 370hp (1,400 hours). First time having Diesel engines on a boat. start up was ok 45 degrees out and it sat for two weeks.Ā Sea trial went well rpmā€™s wot at 2,980 RPMā€™s for 15 mins and confirmed with tach tap on crank pulley. All temps where normal.Ā  Iā€™m suspecting lack of maintenance on these engines because prior owner does not have records and does his own oil changes. We used infrared thermo gun and all injectors were all in same temps. the port motor seems to be cranky. 2021 aftercooler was replaced by a mechanic. my oil analysis shows high sodium indicating Salt water immersion.. Ā also more wear then the starboard motor. The engine compartment is clean no visible leaks etc.Ā  So the boat is in Kittery Maine and I plan after thanksgiving to bring it down to Long Island Ny.Ā  I plan on going up in two weeks to familiarize myself with the boat, also oil changes and fuel polish.Ā  Any other items I should address before I make this long trip? And should I be concerned about the port engine?Ā  ThanksĀ 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

Kevin,Ā  you are overpropped and that is a big boat.Ā  You need to get 3100rpm @WOT and make it easily.

The replacement of the aftercooler sounds like the last owner was at the mercy of the local boat mechanic….only 1400 hours…Ā  prob just needed a good servicing but who knows.

No leaks is a good thing on the engines, normally I am not worried about oil analysis but if it picked up traces of salt water intrusion then that is good to know.

I would be concerned with condition of the “FUEL FILTERS” since that will stop you dead in your tracks.Ā  Are there vacuum gauges on the primary filters???

Change out ALL fuel filters and if the oil level is good then as long as “mechanically speaking” all seems good then go for it.

Makes sure you trial it for a good ride at full operating temperture and at different speeds to see if any gremlins show up…

good luck

Kevin Wallace
    Participant

Iā€™ll get the reports shortly and post it. The report said high sodium no water. The company is leaning to salt water.Ā 

Clark Leighs
    Participant

I am no expert but have dealt with some of this before.

As for oil test opinions they are hard to read as one shots however post them so they can be viewed by others.

Post both engine reports asĀ  Ā  PDF files; no picking and choosing of data points as most people miss something that can be important.

Often sodium can enter an engine from an aftercooler that has not been properly looked after and has begun to fail, leak seawater, but can’t say for sure.Ā  Ā 

****indicating Salt water immersion.*****.Ā  Ā  Ā  Do you mean actual water in the oil or just the fact there is sodium?Ā 

Look up Tony’s tips and do some reading about aftercoolers and the importance of proper mtce. for these things.Ā  Ā  I will guess you will need to go after the other engine aftercooler soon.Ā  Ā Ā 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.