• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by john.
  • Creator
    Topic

john
    Participant

This is a seriously plugged aftercooler. Said it was serviced three years ago. I’m questioning that. New one coming from seaboard to say the least. Service them sooner than later!!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

john
    Participant

Well I replaced the aftercooler and the boat ran great. I think it’s overpropped but that’s another problem. Looking at everything it was a core failure to me. It came out though it may have been five years since the service on it. Now for a new raw water pump. I’m going to have seaboard t shirts for every day of the week the way things are going

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Yes, they can show evidence of salt if the aftercooler is leaking. I’d like to see the one’s from this engine if possible.

Mike Schmidt
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins 6bta 330hp

Serviced three years ago and someone forgot the o-rings!

Are you going to investigate the engine as to saltwater ingestion?

Have you took a look at the grid heaters – let’s hope that they look anything like that core….

Is the condition of grid heaters a good indication of whether or not an aftercooler is leaking? Seems like a good quick/simple diagnostic checkup item to add to the PM schedule.

john
    Participant

You want a pic of the core? I am waiting for the aftercooler from you to see how it runs. It cold started fine but did have a lot of white smoke. It idled fine but got choked out at 1200 rpm.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

I’d love that pic in High Res, clear & in-focus..

How does the engine start when cold and has not been run for a few days?

Oil consumption?

Tony

john
    Participant

There are issues as well but this is my first step. I suspect he will need a valve job as well. The o rings were there. He did the service himself. I will get it running again and go from there. It did idle fine but since there was no air it choked it off at 1200 rpm. Not a lot of hours on the engine in the last three years,

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Serviced three years ago and someone forgot the o-rings!
    Are you going to investigate the engine as to saltwater ingestion?
    Have you took a look at the grid heaters – let’s hope that they look anything like that core….

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.