• Creator
    Topic

Travis schmidt
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Proud Mary
    Engines: 6 BTA

I have an ’07 6bta 370 diamond reman.  After a 2 month lay up I found I had a no start situation.  It appears to be a problem in the 12v system.   My initial investigation uncovered two obvious facts. The warm air induction system had failed at some point.   It left behind obvious signs of very high heat at the selonoid terminals.   Maryland boat, don’t need it, took it off the boat.   Question #1:   Are there blank covers available to cover the hanging terminals that the removal of this portion of the wiring harness left behind?  The second item found was that my terminals at the battery lugs (a bank of 2 8d batteries) were in less than desirable condition.   I fixed this.   I am still not out of the woods.   When I attempt to start the engine now it will spin up and fire off for three hits.   It will then die as if you shut it down.   I manually actuated the fuel valve and tied it open.   Engine starts and runs normally.   Checked voltage on the harness side of this line.   No voltage on the white leg (open), no voltage on the purple leg (hold).   I then created a direct ground between the neg term of the battery to the selinoid ground.   I then connected the battery pos to the selinoid white (open) wire.   It actuated as it should.    That’s where I am at currently.  I would appreciate any suggestions as to how to proceed further.   

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Travis schmidt
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Proud Mary
    Engines: 6 BTA

Thank you Tony.  Your simple test failed to hold the selinoid open.   After an investigation I realized the purple hold wire was reinstalled on the wrong side of the push button start switch.   She starts and runs now.   Thanks for your insight.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You have corroded wiring/bad connections, etc etc..  If the engine runs with the solenoid tied up, that means it is not getting 12V power after the starting circuit is let go,  OR the “run” coil” in the solenoid is bad, or the linkage to make it all work is binding, or some combo of all.. Simple test–Turn on the key but do not start–Lift the solenoid to see if it stays up.

Solution— take  all/everything apart, clean all wires and the solenoid itself–The engine was not designed to run being bathed with salt water… Maybe some good picture to confirm what I expect to see?

Tony

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.