• Creator
    Topic

Doug Dodge
    Participant
    Vessel Name: None

I’m looking for the Max flow rate on the FS1218 filter. I’m wondering if its a good choice to use as a stand alone tank filter system I am designing.

Explanation:

I’m in the middle of installing SBM Double Double filter system on my Diamond 450 engines. While draining the Racors I discovered they were full of crud. My boat is 22 years old, tanks are 850 Gal total and have never been opened. I hired a tank cleaner and we removed 10 gal of crud from the tanks. One feature my tanks have is a vertical sump at the bottom. The tanks slope down to these sumps. Most of the crud was in the bottom of these sumps. At the very bottom of these sumps are 1/2 drain plugs.

While we were cleaning the tanks, I took the opportunity to change the sump plugs to valves. I can now draw fuel off the bottom of the sumps and filter it. 6″ above these valves are the tank cross over valves.

My plan is to plumb the sump drains to a filter and return the fuel back into the cross over pipes. I want to move as much fuel as possible, thus the question about the FS1218 flow rate. I’m thinking a pump that can do 100GPH.

FYI, I run my boat at displacement speeds 90 percent of time and am planning on heading to Mexico in a few years when we retire.

Thoughts?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Fuel relationship level = excellent.. Yes that will help a lot

Doug Dodge
    Participant

I defiantly planned on having a vacuum gauge on this filter. My mounting postilion is well below the level of the fuel in the tank, so hopefully priming wont be necessary.

Tony Athens

Try is a see what happens..  Install a vac gauge  after the filter–You may need a “priming bulb” to get it working initially  before the filter either in series or on  isolation valves.

Doug Dodge
    Participant

I was thinking a pump like this pulling through the filter.

Tony Athens

Right filter ?  That depends………

Exact type of pump you are using? Are you pushing thru the filter or sucking thru the filter?   

BIG DIFFERENCE!

Doug Dodge
    Participant

Thanks Rob, I read that article but missed that one detail.

Thank Tony on the tip about optimal flow rate, I was definitely not thinking about that, but it does make sense.

I will use a pump with a 1 GPM flow rate. Do you think the FS1218 is a good choice for this application?

Tony Athens

Specs attached.

IMO pump at 1 GPM or less.. Slower is better is all cases for a variety of reasons …

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

“I’m looking for the Max flow rate on the FS1218 filter.”

The answer to the above lies within:

Marine Fuel Filtration “The Seaboard Way”

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.