• Creator
    Topic

john maybeck
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Wasabi
    Engines: qsb 5.9

The exhaust tube right off the engine has some very small cracks on the top of the tube which is where the highest temps would be . Underneath it is fine. These cracks at within the first 4 – 5″ off the manifold
    QSB 5.9
    #1. The tube is 6″ – is that the I.D. ?
    #2. Is there a way to cut out the affected section and splice in a piece, instead of replacing the entire length @ 5 ‘??

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

john maybeck
    Participant

Thanks Rob,
    It’s not a manner of $ and or access. Just thought to try a simpler approach for a temporary fix. I will replace the entire run @ 5 ‘ when I have a chance to get the hose and the time. In the mean time I will p/u a piece of Shields 200 non-wired 8″ and trim it down and clamp accordingly. Thanks for you input.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Why not change out the full run – access, $$ or because you’d have to haul the boat? (or all of the above).
    I guess if you want to stay with the “section replacement” approach you could use a section of FRP tube as an intermediate coupling..
    Or, staying with the “wrap” approach I’d get a length of non-wired wet exhaust house that the ID fits around your hose OD and use that secured with clamps to go over the area rather than the blanket material.

john maybeck
    Participant

QSB-Exhaust

I referred to the exhaust tube when I meant the hose. There are some very small cracks on top of the hose which I have wrapped to keep any water that may leak out. Is there a way to cut out and replace a section instead of replacing the entire length?? The rest of the hose is in good condition. The hose is original in 08′ with maybe 800 hrs.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

6″ would be the O.D. of the FRP tube so that a 6″ hose slips over it for a clamped connection. Hose (and pipe) are sized per the ID and tube is sized by the OD.

If you want options post some good pictures of your setup. Sounds like you need more hose coming off the engine.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.