• Creator
    Topic

Tim Klassen
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Reel Steel
    Engines: 6bta 370

After learning (from this site) that my wet exhaust was configured incorrectly I built my own for my 370 6bta. I had a shop way up North do the insulation. They used fiberglass with sewn covers. After three years the stitching on the covers is coming loose and the fiberglass insulation is beginning to leak out. I temporarily wrapped it with fiberglass exhaust tape but I want something that is permanent. Any suggestions? This would only be the dry exhaust section and mixer.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Here’s my port riser pics and wrap

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Riser Pics need to make a proper wrap

Clark,

These are the type of pics we send in to a company in Irvine, Ca ( Advanced Thermal Products) to get a well fitted high quality wrap made.. All are different and some are less complex than others……The result of what we get is well documented on our web site–getting 20000-30000 hours out of them over 10 yrs is common, so the extra cost along with a great looking wrap is worth it to us..

This particular wrap is being made as I write for a boat back east.. I’ll try and remember to post pics of it when installed next week.. Cost to me was quoted at $390 + some shipping. . Pipes are all 4.5″ OD.

Thanks for chiming in.

Tony

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Tim, if you give the OD of the dry section and good pics showing the radiuses and the straight section lengths Tony should be able to get a quote from his wrap supplier. They custom make them remotely with pics all the time. Just an option.

Clark Leighs
    Participant

They look very similar to mine in construction. My experience is a tiny amount of filler fibers will come out once in a while.
    Mine are approx 25 yrs, done about ’94, and overall are still in good condition even though when I do oil and fuel filter changes I must crawl over them.. Mine is a dry exhaust system so no way around it.

But Tony’s look a lot neater and better.

Tim Klassen
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Reel Steel
    Engines: 6bta 370

This is the exhaust with the current insulation.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Start with very good pics of your risers/engines as installed………Once I see what you are dealing with, I will give you some long term options that you can explore..

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.