• Creator
    Topic

Brad Fausett
    Participant
    Engines: 6bta 5.9 370hp

Hi guys!

We just upgraded to your envirovent system on our Cummins 6bta motors. We took the boat out today and was struck with excessive turbo whine up on the bridge. The wife, guest and I were all wore out with it quickly and ultimately had to throttle down to a lower rpm as the constant whine began very annoying quickly. What did the walker air sep system have that mitigated the noise or what is causing the envirovent to pronounce or elevate the whistle now. We need to find a solution as our relaxing cruise today wasnā€™t so relaxing. Hopefully you have a solution to address this issue.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

1st choice, if you can still find it– Old fashioned “flammable contact cement”

2nd choice——- Maybe a 3M water based contact adhesive the is “extra strong” or what ever they call it.

3rd choice——– Research.

Tony

chrism6784
    Participant

Regarding the foam option. How would you install in?? To make it stick to a surface like the top of the engine room….screw it in and glue?

Stephen Oliver
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Ascella
    Engines: 2x Cummins 330hp Diamond

Hi Tony

I have been searching for literally months on this topic of using the pyramid or eggshell foam in a marine environment and found nothing!

I have inward facing air intakes in the flybridge columns which transmit a fair bit of engine noise on to the deck so was going to line them and baffle them with this stuff, but didnt want to waste my time and energy if it wouldnt work. I also have the underside of the whole back deck which is fairly large but not insulated so could use rolls of this to absorb and attenuate genset noise and also engine noise when underway.

What thickness do you normally go with? 2″?

Apologies for the Hijack – but sound absorbing / attenuation can be a stupid expensive business if ‘pro’grade marine stuff is used.

Steve

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Brad,

Airseps mask Turbo whine pretty good do their restrictive design.. The Fleetguard/Donaldson paper filters do the same……….. In the well over 1000 Envirovent systems we have sold & been installed, I have had, maybe a dozen complaints that way. ..

Solution is some better insulation in the engines room close to the S&B filter…………….Acoustic Convoluted form is widely used for this type of noise and really works great, besides be readily available, cheap, and light weight.

Been using it inside engine rooms for well over 20 yrs now.. IMO, nothing better for boats.

Tony

Mike Pettee
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Cop-Out
    Engines: Cummins 370s

Vastly louder whine with the envirovent. I chalked it up to the foam surrounding the walker air seps thing.

For me, I like it. For a cruiser I can see how it would be a negative.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.