• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Dan.
  • Creator
    Topic

Dan
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins

A few months ago I purchased the Seaboard Envirovent kits for my Cummins ‘B’ motors,the result was nothing short of sensational…

The motors (originally fitted with Walker Airseps from new) both leaked oil from the Airsep’s and had a tendency to push the dipstick up and spray misted oil from that area.

I stuck with them for nearly one thousand hours thinking they where what Cummins installed and they had to be the right thing…

Googling it one day I came across this article from Seaboard

EnviroVent CCV Kit 4BT & 6BT Series

Airsep’s may well be a good product, but installed on my engines it was a complete failure and there is no way they could work, and installed in my very confined engine room there was no way to service the critical return valve located near the sump.

Tony nailed it here (taken from the above link)

“Along with this, they also changed the orientation of the side cover tube from pointing DOWN to UP”

The Airsep’s as fitted on my engines and signed off by Cummins from new had to defy gravity to work….

“Between this difficult-to-measure amount of oil in the pan and the natural tendency of an operator to keep the oil at the high mark (or think that “more” has got to be better than less when it comes to oil) all worked together to further exaggerate the problem of oil mist being pushed unnecessarily out of the crankcase breather”

Since fitting the kits I have let the oil level drop a little to the point where hay have stabilized,next oil change will see me remarking the dipsticks based on what I pull out of the engines.

“The liquids that accumulate in any type of CCV are typically composed of oil mist, condensed water vapor, and condensed blow-by combustion chamber gases. The gases, along with water vapor, are parts of any engine’s normal operation and contain small amounts of acids and other combustion by-products. As the engine wears w/either normal use, or thru lack of proper maintenance, installation issues and proper operation, these combustion by-products increase dramatically in amount and now are looked at as excessive “blow-by”. We now have more of these “liquids” to deal with, and IMO, I would NEVER want to return this highly contaminated “liquid” to my engine”

No brainer here… I will be sampling the old oil and comparing with the next oil change

To summarize – My bilge is now spotless,gone is the diesel smell and mist that coated everything, and my engines are not re-consuming all the gunk they spat out.

I could go on… If your seeing any of the above issues with your motors please read the article linked above, go look at the plumbing on your CCV system, re read the article and work it out, and don’t assume that (as I did) because Cummins installed Airseps on the engines from new they will work in your application.

There is more in the article that covers these issues,take the time to read it!!

Dan

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dan
    Participant

Starboard

Dan
    Participant

Port Engine

BBCode you used is not allowed.

Dan
    Participant

Rob,

Due to the crazy lack up space overhead I had to go to some extremes to ensure the entire install was allowing gravity to do its thing,the hose from the top of the engine runs “downhill” to the “T” the bottle is directly under it, the vacuum line carrying the gases going to the air filter after the ‘T’ is the only part running “uphill”on the Starb engine.

I coudnt get the “breather filter”up top top of the engine so it’s located directly under the air filter, not ideal but it is all I could do given the space constraints. I doubt the pics will show what I had to overcome to do the install but will take some today.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Envirovent CCV Kit – Install

Really nice write-up Dan.  Appreciate the feedback.  Yes pictures of the install would be good for all.  It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row but I will mention that it is important to make sure that puke bottle is cut in at the lowest point in the system so you do not end up with a trap.  My Envirovent was installed by prior owner and I noticed a low spot.  When I took all apart some some oil ran out of the hose that was collecting at the low spot.  Here is the before & after..and a shot of one of my puke bottles after 70 eng hrs, ~250gallons of fuel..

Dan
    Participant

Will do,
    In retrospect since posting the original post I highly doubt the airsep’s where doing anything other than making an oily mess.
    I say this because my after coolers where both remarkably free of oil after 1000 hours and given the tendency of both engines to pop the dipsticks it would be safe to assume the motors where running in a “pressurized state” Im lucky I didn’t blow out a timing seal or rear main…
    What appeared to be happening was the oil was accumulating in the “s’ trap after the valve, and it would just poor out of the airseps filter and block the the vacuum path for the gasses.

Both engines breathed hard and pushed the dipsticks from new…looking at them running you would think they had done 20 thousand hours with the oil mess and blow by…

Perfect now, will get some pics.
    Dan

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Dan,   Thanks for the follow up.. Got some pics of  the install to share?

Tony

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.