• Creator
    Topic

David Diener
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Fathom
    Engines: Cummins 370b

Hey guys,

i have my engine out the boat. I keep looking at the engine mounts and wondering if I should be replacing them. The boat is 16 hrs old and has a little over 1000 hrs on it. New had any vibration issues but keep thinking since I’m going to have to align everything Ā I should replace them? What kind of life do you normally get out of these mounts. I’ve attached a picture of a couple of them. They all look about the same.

Thanks.Ā 

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

David,

I have no knowledge of the Yanmar 6LP in the Albin 28TE having issues with seawater into the turbo outlet and that was a very popular powerplant for that boat starting in the later 90’s.

David Diener
    Participant

Lol

Thanks for all the advice Rob. Ā Been off for a while, but got the boat back in the water and she seems to be running good. Knock on wood! Time to go try and catch some stoopid fish. Cause I can’t catch the smart ones Ā 

Next project is to get Tony to hook me up with a high mount turbo so I’m not sweating every time the waves kick up.

Rob, had a question for you. You said you had taken a yanmar out of a 28 albin. I was wondering if the yanmar had the same issue as the cummins as far as not having the turbo high enough above the water. From what I’ve seen on other boats with yanmars is the exhaust goes forward then turns Ā before it turns aft Ā and then goes back out of the boat. So seems to make a u Ā shape which would seems to make it harder for water to get to the turbo? Ā Is this correct or does the yanmar have the same issue in the Albin?Ā 

Thanks!

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

Engine, Paddleboard, etc

David,

The paddleboard is another option, just don’t invite me!

Your engine sure looks pretty good to me as far as marine age from what I was expecting after seeing those motor mounts. Ā I think all of your hard work will pay off in the long run as to enjoyment and you’re gaining excellent working knowledge of everything that will pay off in dividends for years to come.

David Diener
    Participant

Thanks Rob,

The idler pulley is the only thing I haven’t changed on the front/back of the engine. Which makes me feel not great about cummins, on an engine with 1000 hrs. I under stand the hours vs calendar life issues on these engines but I used to bitch about the poor design of mercruiser gas engines and the bombs that were set up with the initial design. I thought I should go diesel. But when i sit back and look at the cummins seems there are plenty of bombs waiting for me. So when I consider the potential downdide of replacing a $5000 engine vs $20000 engine I start to wonder whether cummins diesel is the right way to go.Ā 

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate you guys and all the knowledge that is spread here, Tony and sbmar are an amazing resource, you guys rock and Ā I’ve had a few drinks and I’m tired of all the trips chasing parts Ā half the day and trying to accomplish things the other half of the day. I’ve spent my vacation trying to mend my boat. Also I’ve spent thousand of dollars. Some things I’ve been really impressed as to how they have passsed the test of time. Others I’ve thought what were they thinking. Such as putting an air filter under a sea water fitting. I just want this stuff to work, Ā but sometimes I feel like dog chasing his tail. Ā I have limited resources and I want to enjoy my time on the water. Ā Maybe I should buy a paddle board?

Sorry for the rant and thanks for the help! I do appreciate input!

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator

2 Things While The Engine Is Out

Two things that are important, not very costly and simply cannot be done while the engine is in your boat is the idler pulley upgrade and a wolverine oil pan heater.

Idler Pulley Issues on Cummins 6BT / 6BTA 5.9

Wolverine Oil Pan Heater – Model 25 250 Watts

David Diener
    Participant

Thanks Tony, engine is a 370b. Guess I’ll bite the bullet and get some new ones. Anything else I should do while it’s out. I’ve been trying to take care of the small leaks I had. Put a new pan gasket and taper cover gasket which started leaking to corrosion on the cover. Going to replace all the hoses on the exhaust. They’re starting to look tired.Ā 

Pulled the boat for a leaky zf 220v transmission. Transmission shop asked if I wanted to put new clutches in. Boat only has 1000 hrs. Don’t think I need new clutches. $600 for aftermarket. $1500 for ZF clutches. Told them no. But would you advise otherwise? Thanks

attached pics of engine and room. Don’t know if I can call it a room. Lol

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Your engine mounts are done.. They were never designed be have weekly saltwater baths..

What exact engine?

Can I see what the rest of your engine and engine room look like?

Ever hear the term “Marine Age”

Tony

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.