• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Woo.
  • Creator
    Topic

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

In the Preheater post this heater diagram was uploaded by Tony.  I boxed in red what is listed as a “fuse”.  Tony or anyone, please correct me if I am wrong but that “fuse” is actually the engine mounted 10amp circuit breaker that I show in the attached picture.  For anyone not familiar with this breaker, if the connections to the base of it come loose you will shutdown, no different than shutting of the key switch.  Checking the two connections under this breaker should be part of your routine maintenance plan.

Heater Diagram (2)

Engine Mounted Breaker

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Woo
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Obsession
    Engines: 6BTA5.9M3 (370) x 2

Oh for sure…. sorry I didn’t make it clearer. The blower gets it’s power elsewhere, I’m only looking for switching power for the relay as you now know.
    I’ve struggled to find a constant 12v with the engine running, and I want to avoid going anywhere near the fuel solenoid.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Real simple—————DO NOT put the “blower” on the engines side on the circuit breaker.. The “relay” is OK as it is “milliamps”..

Tony

Woo
    Participant

Hi mate.

I’m purely looking for a clean 12v source on the engine to remotely switch a continuous duty blower. I wired the relay with its own circuit breaker.

NOW, before you go off, the blower isn’t for the engines, it’s not needed and I have ensured and tested for ample flow and air, it’s used to pull some air from a remote cabinet where refrigeration gear lives and gets too warm during a day’s trolling.

The blower is only wanted while the engines are running, too noisy otherwise, and I don’t want to switch the blower on, I just want it to run when the engine runs.
    Cheers.

Tony Athens

Ben,

I am sure you can do this, but why not run it by me what you are thinking of doing…………..Remember, I do personally do not like anything on the engine side or battery that could affect it’s “electrical” reliabilty..

Tony

Woo
    Participant

Can one of the terminals under this breaker button be used as a “12v constant feed when engine is running” to switch a relay?

Tony Athens

Air Heater fuse vs "engine harness fuse"

Air Heater Diagram Pictorial

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

This a good post as we have seen our fair share of engine start troubleshooting leading to this area on the engine. Rust as we have found is not a very good conductor!

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Connections Under Breaker

Further to my above post, here’s a pic of the screw connections to the underside terminals of that breaker

connections to 10amp breaker

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.