• Creator
    Topic

Mike Mason
    Participant
    Engines: Qsb 5.9 380

New to me Qsb 380’s. Ran the boat for 24 straight hours this week and performed perfect. I do have what I think is a slight drip from the tides dripless shaft seal when the motor is running at rpm.

I will look into further but one thing I was aware of is the rear mounts are about maxed on the height adjustment should the engines need to be aligned any further at any time.

I am looking for a 3/4 to 1 inch spacer I can add between the stringer and the mount to lift the mount so I can reduce the height of the mount allowing for additional adjustment if need be.

Something silk ar to the pic attached.

Also, if I can find spacers, how can I get these in place with the motors still in the boat.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Bill Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Audax
    Engines: Yanmar 4LHA-STE

Mike,
    Go Now! They are biting on the 60.
    I have the 28 Bertram “Audax” You can find the way it used to look here in Tony’s repower section. After the repower back in 2000, I added a half tower.
    I will be out there Wednesday morning. Will leave Tuesday evening. Fish are biting in the dark.
    Bill

Mike Mason
    Participant

Sweet. Good info bill. Thanks. I’m over at Dana landing all the time. I may try and do one more trip if the fish stick around. What boat do you have at Dana?

Bill Fuller
    Participant

forgot to mention, I am at Dana

Bill Fuller
    Participant

Hi Mike
    FYI, the big ones have been on the 60 mile bank the last 2 days, including today (Saturday).
    A few on the Yummy, many on the flat fall in the dark, and more on fly lined sardines or fly line with sinker. Always a few caught on poppers.
    I have not fished them much for the last couple of month.
    I do part time commercial fishing and when the seiners over ran the quota and the blue fin fishing was shut down I pretty much quit. We have caught a few since on purely sport fishing trips. The think is, what do you do with a bunch of those big ones if you cant sell them?
    If you go out in the next few days,
    Good luck.
    Bill

Mike Mason
    Participant

When the seas are in agreement, certainly easier to chase down the fish in the Tiara compared to your ex-Albin..

That’s for sure. Cruising at 20 knots is a whole different game.

Mike Mason
    Participant

I’ve got one jumbo under my belt on the yummy. That was a few months ago. I too prefer to load up on the smaller grade. This was a good shakedown on the new tiara 33 fly for us. We had never run offshore or even run the bait tank. It went well. I am thinking of going again next week. Heading down to the marina for some boat work. I am in seaworld marina on mission bay.

Bill Fuller
    Participant

Mike
    Those Bluefin have become hard to find. They are not staying the same place 2 days in a row,
    As an example, on Tuesday they were between the 60 mile bank and the Mushroom. On Wednesday they were way inside maybe 40 miles. Thursday they were on the 60. I was out Wednesday and the Yellowfin were where the Bluefin had been the day before. We ended up on the edge of the Mushroom. Lots of YFT between 25 and 40 lbs. At my age I greatly preferred these to the big Bluefin. Are you new to fishing for the Big Bluefin or experienced in catching them?
    Bill

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

When the seas are in agreement, certainly easier to chase down the fish in the Tiara compared to your ex-Albin..

Mike Mason
    Participant

Yup. Overnighter tuna fishing. First run offshore with the new boat. Logged just over 200 miles. Not an issue.

Searched high and low for the blue fin. Found them twice but no biters.

Ended up with some kelp yellowtail.

Thanks.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Tony,
    Mike was using the 6LY as an example of a mount with spacer.

Mike,
    No “example photos”, no excuses, we all carry camera phones these days, let us see what you are dealing with..
    24 hours straight? – overnighter? tuna trolling? Where’s the catch pictures?
    As to taking a mount apart – One at a time supporting the engine, if you have a steep deadrise to deal with, see attached.. To “hold in place” you don’t even need a jack, just some blocks, a smooth flat wedge and a hammer to knock the wedge in with.

Mike Mason
    Participant

Tony. Yes. I know the pic is of a yanmar. Just posted it to see the mount riser.

That is what I am in need of. I will post a pic of my Qsb’s this weekend.

Thanks. Mike.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Mike,

Have you looked at your attached pic? Look like a 6LYA 370 to me? In fact, I installed it,..

If you really want some help, get down to your boat with a good camera and let me or Rob ( his eyes are better than mine sometimes, or maybe most times these days) really see what you have..

Tony

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.