• Creator
    Topic

Patrick Shier
    Participant
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 M2

I have a two Cummins 6CTA 8.3 M2 engines in my 1996 Tiara 3700. They are listed at 420HP. I need to replace the turbos and the specs on the Holset Turbo model for my engine (model H2D – original part no. 3535043) says the turbo is rated at 300HP. Is this the correct turbo? It appears to be the original equipment on my engines – doesnĀ“t look like anyone has changed them. What is the difference between engine HP rating and turbo HP rating?

On your website an others I’ve seen another Holset turbo part no. 3802886 listed for the 6CTA at 430HP. This actually appears to be the only turbo you list for the 6CTA. Looking for help to determine what I need for replacements.

As an additional note I’ve been calling around looking for a replacement of 3535043 and not only does no one have one they look it up and tell me there is about 4 month lead time to get one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Patrick Shier
    Participant
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 M2

Tony,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Iā€™ll get the pics you requested but I donā€™t currently have any. The engines and turbos have about 900 hours on them. The housings are badly rusted on the exhaust side and they do not spin. The serial number from one engine is 45194674. I donā€™t have the other one recorded. That data plate is more difficult to get to. I noticed the severity of the rust problem last fall, but it has obviously been in the works for a long time. The previous owner used to wash the engines down with water after each use. That has always made it more difficult to sort out where rust is an indicator of a performance problem and where the rust is from prior lifeā€™s bad habits where externally applied water was left to sit. The last time I ran the boat at the end of last season, the engines appeared to still run well. There was no loss of power, no unusual smoke, engine temps were normal (I have no way of knowing what the boost or exhaust pressures were). The first time I took the boat out this season, the turbo failure was complete. They wouldnā€™t come up over about 1300 RPM and kicked out heavy black smoke. I pulled them back to around 1000 where there was no smoke and limped into the yard.

While I appreciate the need to understand what happened and to learn to do what I can do better going forward, nothing goes forward without replacing or rebuilding the turbos. Regardless of the why, the ones I have arenā€™t going back on as-is. My current focus is on understanding what turbos were matched to my engines and why (what those specs mean), and then using that information to determine what my options are to replace them. I already have new exhaust outlet elbow connections to put on.

Patrick

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

1)————-Post engine serial numbers

2)————I want to “SEE” inside the exhaust oulet side of the turbo

3)———— Total hours on the turbos?

4)———–Why do you need new turbos?

1, 2, 3, & 4- NEED Answers..

Tony

Dan
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins

Patrick,

Your going to get asked why are you replacing the turbo’s, give some history if known and pics of the engine’s

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.