• Creator
    Topic

amgrant1979
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knoty Buoyz
    Engines: 6BTA-370

Hi Guys,

I have had a double double system on the boat for two years now works great love the vacuum gauges!  Was doing the Annual winter maintenance and remembered that Brad had said to me that its typical to use 2/1 ratio of mud filters to the finer 1000 filters.  This made me wonder if I was doing the right thing at the annual maintenance by replacing all the filters in the fuel system?  (This is what I did last year)

So my question is do I replace all the filters once a year  (we do about 100hrs a year) when i do the annual maintenance or should I be doing the mud once a year and everything else biannually? Or use the vacuum gauges to decide when to change filters?

Thanks for the advice in advance

Regards

Andrew 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

If the gauge is on or after the last filter it will tell all.

amgrant1979
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Knoty Buoyz
    Engines: 6BTA-370

last year (2015) no we didn’t other than towards the end of the season they started to indicate some vacuum but still well in the green,  This year yes we have seen high vacuum on the mud filter,  we have had some contamination with diesel bug, it was evident when we changed filters last year but it was significantly worst this year and I had to do a mid season mud filter change due high vacuum,  we were getting high vacuum due bug again just before I changed out the mud filters.  I haven’t taken the boat for a run since changing the mud filters again so not sure where the vacuum will indicate or if the 1000 will also need changing.

cheers

Andrew

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Sounds like your tossing perfectly good filters….have you seen any activity on the gauges over the 100 hrs season ?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.