• Creator
    Topic

Brian Murray
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Good
    Engines: 8.3 Cummins

Hello, Went to the boat this afternoon to start the motors and unwinterize them in prep for this weekend’s planned haul out for bottom work.     Both engines started right up no issues whatsoever, let them get almost to temp and went back to engine room for my checks and discovered the exhaust side of the turbo had a ” drip drip” of  raw water coming from it, it was not coolant.  Higher rpms and the drip would get a little faster.  would this be the dreaded “turbo charger to exhaust gasket”?   I had not performed any work on this turbo or exhaust over the winter and everything was just fine when we shut down last fall.   i have attached some pictures, tried to attach small video and it wouldn’t support it.  

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Brian Murray
    Participant

Thanks for checking Steve. <br /><br />

my cell 904-463-5009. <br /><br />

Brian

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Brian,

I just heard back from Tom.  He only knows folks up here.  It was worth a shot.  That being said, he does travel so if push comes to shove you could reach out to him.  Let me know and I can share his contact info.

Steve

Steve Lewis
    Participant

Brian I do not know mechanics in cincy personally.   Let me ask my mechanic if he has any knowledge of reliable folks in your area.  My guy is Tom Hill who owns/runs T-Diesel up here in Marblehead.   

1 user thanked author for this post.

Brian Murray
    Participant

Thanks Rob the elbows are original to the boat 97’ they have been in freshwater water all of its life, I believing ended up finding the pin hole right at the bottom of the coupling, it was the only spot with a small rust stain. I plan to have them pulled if I can find a rebuttal mechanic around here that will for sure be a challenge. <br /><br />

steve appreciate all your thoughts that’s a very good plan you going into it, you know any mechanics in the Cincy area?

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Playing with “FIRE” is all if can say, especially so if in saltwater.

IMO, a  Crazy risk

Steve Lewis
    Participant

Based on Brian’s original post when he was buying the boat…..  It is a 1997 so if those are original elbows then they have lived 25+ years in the Ohio River(making some assumptions here…). 

Brian I would follow Rob’s recommendation and at a minimum, remove the elbow on the dripping engine and have a good look.  I would personally want to know what the situation is for both exhaust setups.

When we bought our boat back in April of 2021, we had the cooling circuits removed and serviced and the exhaust and turbos removed and inspected.  It was expensive but worth it for me.  I wanted to know for a fact what the situation inside those elbows and turbos was.  We have the same elbows as you.  We were lucky.  After two seasons with the boat we finally got our new cylinder heads installed.  The engines got torn down so we had the cooling circuit serviced again and the turbos and elbows looked at again since they were off engine for the head work.  Still in good nick.  I would want to know……..

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Good pics.  Classic “doomed to fail” design.  I would pull the one that is dripping and inspect it and inspect the inside of the turbo outlet.

How old are the exhaust elbows and have they been in freshwater since day one?

Brian Murray
    Participant

Here are a few more pictures of the exhaust elbow and system. <br /><br />

im still down on the boat hope the iPhone don’t post them sideways. 

Brian Murray
    Participant

hey Rob, yes birthed in fresh water currently and all of its life, I did taste it and it was raw water. I will get better pictures and post this evening I took the video thinking I could post it but it would let me. <br /><br />

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Are you berthed in fresh or salt water?  Did you taste the drip?

Nicely kept engine room.  I can see the one engine has a doomed to fail wet jacketed riser.  See below all about these doomed to fail setups.

I would pull both risers, inspect and pressure test them for temporary use if okay while you have custom dry risers fabricated.  Good news is that you have ample height in the engine room for a well designed safe setup.

Running the engines dockside with zero load does zero as to getting them up to temps and does more harm then good – condensation, cylinder wash down, etc..  Best to do your engine room checks, then fire up and take another look for any leaks and them get her out of the slip with light loads gradually increased.

Marine Exhaust Risers that are Doomed to Fail

Designing a Marine Exhaust System

lpmcc
    Participant

Are you sure it’s raw water?

You mention raw water, are you sure?  If so, it would not be the gasket between the turbo & the exhaust manifold.  That would leak coolant.  First thought it sounds like your exhaust elbow has corroded and is leaking internally.  That could happen just sitting over time.  I’m sure Tony is going to ask for pics of your exhaust.

I would not run the engine until you get this solved as the water could be leaking into the engine as well.

Good luck with it.

Larry

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.