• Creator
    Topic

Dave Galehouse
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Castalia
    Engines: Cummins 6c8.3

Hello,

2004 Cummins 6c 8.3 engines in boat.

I was curious what the oil pressure range should be at idle and how it should fluctuate during running and if there is a way to test the sending unit before I potentially replace that?

Thank you

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Cummins engine Oil Pressure specs

The oil pressure you “see” on the gauge at the panel may or may be the actual OIL PRESSURE in the main oil gallery or the OP going into the oil filter. Between the sender wearing out over time or the gauge “sticking”, use that gauge as a base indicator only..

To your question:

Seeing 40-80 PSI at medium to high RPM’s seems average and 10-20 PSI when idling (engine hot) is normal. going below an actual 10 PSI when hot at a low idle below 700 RPM is quite normal–Nothing to worry about.

The only way to really know is to install a high quality liquid filled 0-200 PSI gauge on the engines main oil gallery—- Use a High Pressure #4 hose hose when doing so.

In general, the Cummins mid-range engines run a lower oil pressure than most seem to think they should –It’s by DESIGN…I use the term– “Low pressure, high flow by design”….Some later oil specs attached for the newer “Q” engines………….It will surprise many..

Tony

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.