• Creator
    Topic

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

for a cummins QSC8.3-540 with a CPL8017 is the correct cummins white paint part number 3885912?

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Rattle Can Spray Paint

My long term Rattle Can Experience.

1–Heating the can in hot water to 100-140F makes for a superior spray experience–

2– you cannot over shake

3–keep some real lacquer thinner in a baby food jar–Soak your spray tips in it and then blow them backwards to clean them using an air nozzle

Hope this helps the frustration level some

Laurence Warden
    Participant
    Vessel Name: North Star
    Engines: Twin 370 hp Cummins

I did my engines and transmissions over the last couple years.Ā  Scrape off any loose paint and rust, Ospho and Rustoleum rusty metal primer then the Painters Touch white.Ā  Came out great and is lasting well.Ā  I picked up a couple more cans recently and found them to clog easier than the cans I did before.Ā  Not sure what’ going on there but maybe the hotĀ  water trick will help.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You could probably get by without it but the primer would be the way to go for best results IMO.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Zac Schramm
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Off Hand
    Engines: 2003 Cummins 6BTA's

Primer

Hi,

Great info on the paint, I’m going to use the Painters Touch as it is only about $6 now.

When scraping rust off and using Ospho rust converter, should I use a primer on the block first before applying the rustoleum?

Thanks.

Gene Fuller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Yorkshire Rose
    Engines: QSB5.9 380

I looked at the safety data sheets for the two product numbers. There are some small differences in the solvent mix. Probably related to environmental issues in some states.

I believe the image Rob showed is probably not 100% correct, but more like 99% correct. I do not expect a user would see any difference.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

This could explain the different item numbers…

bwanaf111
    Participant

Which is which?!?!

There seems to be two versions of this paint. The numbers are 334048 or 249090. Which should I use and does anyone know the difference?

Thanks

TC

Tony Athens

We have not had issues like you describe– We use an easy 50++ cans a year.. In cold weather, put the cans in hot water and shake well –It ups the pressure big time. If the tip clogs for what ever reason, put it in real Lacquer thinner for ( MEK works too) a few minutes and then blow thru it with a air gun..

We like “Painters Touch”

kelbritz
    Participant

? quality issues with Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch 2X ?

? anyone else been having any quality issues with Rust-Oleum’s “Painter’s Touch” 2X rattle can spray paint?Ā 

Fresh can only made a few passes before sputtering to globs before quitting with a nearly full can.Ā 

Sadly, all the 1 star Amazon reviews sharing similar quality concerns are all dated Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2022.Ā 

Would be a bummer to change paint at this point.

thanks.

Tony Athens

We have used “Painter’s Touch” for maybe 10+ yrs now—————We like it.. Yes, there could easily be a better paint, but it sure work really well for us….

Availability is a big thing for us –at least a 6-pack a month.Ā  BTW, your 4TAs has a earlier “Cummins White”Ā  Ā  The new “Snow White” Cummins has used for about 10 yrs now is a “Dead Match”.

Mark Tripi
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Keeper
    Engines: Cummins 4BTA

Rust-Oleum

I put on a new turbo last season and painted it with: Rust-Oleum 249090 Painter’s Touch 2X Ultra Cover and the primer. Close match and the paint did not so much as tint from the heat or burn off.

Tony Athens

100% ignore the buffoon that wrote that..—-Just another typical couch engineer with zero field experience

Paint or no paint is your choice——-I vote WD-40 after everyĀ  run /while you are doing engine room those important checks..

Don Rupchock
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Perigrine
    Engines: Cummins QSB5.9

SMX pump – to paint or not?

First time posting here, after my new QSB SMX pump arrived this afternoon.Ā  The Cummins QuickServe site says ā€œNote: If a new sea water pump is being installed, the sea water pump must be painted before installation”.Ā  Must it really?Ā Ā  Is there a legitimate corrosion concern, or does Cummins simply not want a shiny bronze pump clashing with their white paint?Ā Ā  I assume if one does paint the pump, the elbow flange faces should not be painted?

And separate but related, pump replacement would seem an opportune time to replace the drive belt as well, even though with 1100 hours (500 of them mine) on my 2007 American Tug the belt still looks fine. Ā  Thoughts?Ā 

Thanks

Rick
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SEA DUCK TOO
    Engines: QSC 600

Krylon Commercial OSHA WHITE MPN 1800

The Tony Athens on the East Coast is Tom DeMann located in Wilmington NC. Ā Some years ago Tom and Cummins Marine, Charleston, worked with Krylon to produce the QSC Bright White. Ā It was sold commercially under a Cummins Part Number and Krylon Commercial OSHA WHITE MPN 1800. Ā 

chrism6784
    Participant

I feel the Cummins paint doesnā€™t last so trying to find a good alternative. So does that intermix match the color good?

Francis Valerio
    Participant
    Vessel Name: overslept
    Engines: Twin 4BT CPL741

I have painted my engines a few times over the years and have had different results every time.Ā  I have use rustoleum with a paint brush with mediocre results.Ā  I used some expensive rattlecan paint as well that was not any better.

The best results I had have been with interlux perfection white (2-part epoxy paint).Ā  It looks great and has been on the engines for 2 seasons and probably about 150 hours.

Makes perfect sense to me to use a paint not made for an engine and having great results… Just saying…

chrism6784
    Participant

Thanks tony getting this tomorrowĀ 

Tony Athens

IMO, this is a dead match for CumminsĀ  Snow WhiteĀ  that has been used for the last 10++ yrs..Ā  It’s all we use. You just have to lean how yo use it.. The regular rust-o-leum gloss white is as good or better, but takesĀ  longer to dry– we are always in a hurry… Both, IMO, areĀ  excellent quality 1-part spray can paints and easy to get..Ā 

chrism6784
    Participant

I see this is an old post but wondering if anyone had ever came to a conclusion? I am gettting to repaint and Csn not seem to find Cummins white, so did anything work as a god substituteĀ 

Rick
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SEA DUCK TOO
    Engines: QSC 600

I know nothing of other Krylon colors. Ā This was given to me by my CUMMINS service center. Ā This OSHA WHITE Commerical is a perfect QSC match.Ā 

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.