• Creator
    Topic

Justin
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Seastolic
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3

Several weeks ago I had a brief (2 min) overheat, but the engine did get up there (260+). I noticed it before I had any symptoms of power loss or degradation in performance. The cause of the overheat is solved now, and the head gasket has been replaced because of leakage caused by the overheat. After putting it all back together there is more damage that needs to be solved. The engine heats up faster than the other side. It will take the good side a good while to get to 180 degrees under light load (eg. 1200 rpm), while the troubled side will move much more quickly and settle in a few degrees above 180. There is no more movement in the coolant expansion tank anymore. And now when the engine is warmed up, there is lots of steam coming out of the exhaust that smells like fresh, sweet coolant. This strangely goes away when the coolant cap is removed, as if there is pressure building up in the circuit. I have the exhaust manifold off again for a check of it. Any ideas? Question number 2 is: While I have the heat exchanger off, I want to do maintenance to it. Can someone point me to a procedure for this? Thanks, Justin  

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Justin
    Participant

Update

Two exhaust manifold cracks were found on inspection. 

Justin
    Participant

Thanks for your response, Tony.

1) Overheat was caused by a missing belt. Replaced along with the coolant pump.

2) Have not pressure tested

3) Have not pressure tested. I will get the tester you suggest and see what I get. 

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

1) What exactly  caused the overheat?

2) Have you pressure tested the system at the dock engine cold, no coolant?

3) Pressure tested warm to hot at the dock?

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Pressure-Tester-and-Adapter-P54126.aspx?gclid=CK7rzIjS7NICFQyAfgodA1YFeg

If you lost a head gasket at high load due to an overheat, then is a safe assumption you could also have a  violated either of the two turbo gaskets Manifold to turbo or on the manifold cap) , or internal crack in the manifold and/or turbo casting..

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.