• Creator
    Topic

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

On my QSC8.3-540’s during a normal cruise I see engine coolant temps of 172. I can run for a two hour run and the temps never budge. Temps cool down as soon as I come off plane as expected. I idle into the harbor and get into my slip.Ā 

My question is not cooling system related per se, rather I wonder how long should I idle and let things cool down before shutting down? Once tied up at the dock I see temps at 158 so I am sitting on the thermostat. I let her run for a bit longer to let oil temps and the turbos cool, but how long should I let them cool before shutdown? 5 mins, 10mins? Is longer better?Ā 

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

You really do not have to give this too much thought. Ā The turbos is coolant jacket cooled so the normal course of coming back to the slip (no wake zones, docking, securing the lines) is a built in cool down. Ā Same thing with motoring into an anchorage or the like. Ā The only time I have even thought about it was setting down to rest from cruise in open water and then I do let her idle a good 5 minutes or so. Ā A dry turbo would run much hotter and if that is shut down hot it could cook the oil left within.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.