• Creator
    Topic

Jon Fitch
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins QSB

I have a QSB 5.9, idle is set to the standard 600. Can it be set up using the Cummins Insight software (or some other means)? I do not have the C-Cruise option.

The alternator cannot keep up with the draw at that speed and I get low voltage warnings. At about 675 it is break even and no problems, so I’d like to get it set to 675. I’ve called two Cummins service reps and they don’t seem to know how.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jon Fitch
    Participant

If you can fit a smaller pulley without over speeding the alternators, that’s probably the easiest/cheapest route. I’ve run out of time to chase this but I think my ultimate solution involves a hair pin stator alternator, either Balmar’s or someone else’s. The Delco 24 and 28 are similar to the hair pin style.

john
    Participant

Iā€™m finding this post very interesting. This week I went Through the charging systems on a 42 duffy with a similar problem, It is equipped with twin large frame Balmar alternators with there ars-5 regulators. He has had charging issues at idle trolling salmon since he has owned the boat. Tons of shit to power on this boat. Isolated charging systems also so you donā€™t get both alternators powering the house system. I worked with Balmar and concluded that the start up point is right at the low rpm Setting at 600 rpm. It varies a bit from each alternator. Seems odd to me but it sure acts like that. I might try a smaller pulley. The engines are c9 cats so they are electronic so Iā€™m sure raising the idle will be a software thing that cat will have to come out. Another option is a hair pin stator alternator.

Philip
    Participant
    Vessel Name: 2007 35ā€™ Cabo ā€˜FUGAā€™
    Engines: Cummins QSC8.3-540ā€™s

Maybe a few good pictures of what you have now will allow us to recommend what you will need.

Phil

Jon Fitch
    Participant

Not what I’m talking about, that is the tension idler. It doesn’t care what alternator is on there. The tension arm I’m talking about is the one that in the old days had a slot to set the belt tension. Now it’s just another arm to hold the alternator on.

Philip
    Participant

Jon Fitch
    Participant

That’s remote oil filter.

Also, is there a tension arm that works with the QSB and 28si alternator? I had to fabricate one for the Balmar and could do it again, but it was a pain to do on the boat away from my machine shop.

Jon Fitch
    Participant

Will the 28si fit on an early QSB? It looks like I’d have to swap the alternator mount to the J180 and also remove the remove oil filter as the lines are very close to the original small alternator.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Hot Rod Delco small frame Balmar Alternator

http://www.balmar.net/product/alternators/alternator-94-12-210-ig/

Is this what you have? Based on an old 15SI unit

These designs only start making “amps” above 2500 alternator shaft RPM, and even then they like to spin at 3500 Shaft RPM plus.. To me, they are just a “bill of goods” and sell strictly on max amp out out, which BTW is intermittent duty at best..

You need a Delco 24SI or 28SI unit.. 3X the output at 1500 shaft RPM with is about where you are at engine idle.

Tony

Jon Fitch
    Participant

Hmm, tried to post a reply but it won’t let me. The alternator is a Balmar 94-12-210-IG. I’ve spent the money but if another could be found with similar specs but higher low speed output (that will fit!) I’d consider it. The engine draw exceeds the output by itself, so the DC architecture of the boat is irrelevant.

According to the published Cummins specs, a number of the 6BT and 6BTA engines idle at 700 or 750.

What’s the magic of the 600 rpm idle? The engine idles smoother a little faster, in my boat and others. I normally throttle up a little with the transmission locked out for that reason, but it isn’t practical to do when maneuvering.

Corey Schmidt
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Rebel Belle
    Engines: Cummins

What EXACT alternator do you have now? Let’s chase this problem down from the other direction. The exact model & specs along with your current DC distribution architecture will help us “help you”…

The comments are correct, you need to source an alternator that can “keep up” at the standard 600 RPM. All Cummins mid-range elec/mech engines idle at 600 RPM. No reason to mitigate a problem by raising the engine idle, rather it is best practice to mitigate the issue by either sourcing the root cause or replacing the equipment to suit the demand, etc.

A Cummins technician should technically be able to plug in to the engine ECM and raise the idle value, although I doubt they’d do it without some heavy resistance.

Scott Lambert
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Old Man River
    Engines: Cummins QSB 5.9

Idle RPM

My understanding, limited as it is, is that the idle speed is controlled by a voltage signal from the throttle system. So if you have a Glendinning throttle system you would need to make a change there. As far as I am aware this is not possible, but Corey may know a bit more? Otherwise you could try Glendinning? For the record my QSB 5.9 idles at 600 rpm and alternator output is fine.

Jon Fitch
    Participant

It is a Balmar 94 series alternator and Balmar 614 regulator. I could find no other alternator that would fit the space available without very substantial modifications. It should be noted that Cummins requires an offset pulley with limits the choices somewhat.

Scotth
    Participant

Sorry this is being difficult for you on the idle side. I have not worked with an electronic Cummins, only mechanical Cummins or newer Volvo/Deere.

What alternator do you have now? Internal or external regulator (what type)? I used to work in a marine electrical store, might be additional setup options.

Philip
    Participant

Then you might be left to install a different alternator or an externally adjustable regulator.

Jon Fitch
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions, but everything has been checked, all works as it is supposed to. A larger pulley will overspeed the alternator at full rpm. I just want to change the idle and I am astonished at how hard this is proving to be.

Scotth
    Participant

Sorry, no help on your idle issue.

Can you install a smaller pulley on the alternator?

Philip
    Participant

Have you load tested your batteries? Often times that can be the issue.

Notice I didnā€™t ask how old your batteries were as it not uncommon for a battery issue to manifest itself this way no matter the age.

Phil

Jon Fitch
    Participant

Nothing wrong with the alternator. It is a large frame high output and they put out less at idle. Since a 6BTA engine idles at 700 I don’t think I’ll have any more trouble than they do.

I’m pretty amazed at how hard it has been to find out the answer to this seemly simple question.

dave carey
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Meridian
    Engines: 5.9 QSB

Alternator

Just thinking, maybe the alternator is giving up? It should be able to produce enough amps at 600 rpm. Also, if you set to 675, it will be more difficult to do low speed docking.

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.