• Creator
    Topic

Brad Fausett
    Participant
    Engines: 6bta 5.9 370hp

My turbo is leaking oil, is this a bad seal? Can this be rebuilt and does SBMAR offer this service?

Also, after pulling the air filter i found the intake is full of oil, and there is this foam like material on the plastic intake tube. Is this normal? Shouldnt this be clean? Is this dried oil or is it suppose to be a foam liner that is saturated in oil? It seems to wipe off.

The air filter itself seems to be coated in oil also.

The boat is new to me and is a 2004 Meridian 411 with cummins 370 6bta motors showing 1300 hours.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

I am installing the envirovent systems today. What can I clean the airside of the turbo with to remove all the oil?

I prefer Mineral Spirits, others use brake cleaner

Brad Fausett
    Participant

I am installing the envirovent systems today. What can I clean the airside of the turbo with to remove all the oil?

Brad Fausett
    Participant

Thank you for all the replies. I have heeded the advice and order 2 kits of the envirovent systems as well as a full raw water service kit.

I take if from all the replies here that the oil leaking from the turbos in my pictures may be actually coming from the intake side being full of oil and the turbos do not need a rebuild kit. That cost offsets the ccv kit so im in the same position with a better ccv setup.

I will post updates after i have some time running.

Dan
    Participant
    Engines: Cummins

Brad,
    My engines where leaking oil from the turbos, valve covers and other areaā€™s from new,I battled with those leaks for years thinking cummins installed the airseps,they must be rightā€¦.

Googling the problem years ago I found Tonyā€™s solution to the issue and after reading the articleā€™s he wrote I on the problem I purchased the envirovent kits from him.

Instant fix, night and day difference easy to install and very simple to maintain,I went from continually topping up oil and trying to keep up with the mess to zero maintenance.

Ive never even had to drain the bottles in the kits such is the difference, three other cummins owners in my area with the same airsep issues have since fitted them with the same results.

Do yourself a favor and ditch those airsepā€™s!

You may also be suffering from an overfilled oil pan, have a look at the links attached below.

Tony,I have a friend with a 12 thousand hour 892 Detroit that is a messy pig, do you think the envirovent kit would help?

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/envirovent-crankcase-ventilation-ccv-for-cummins-marine-diesels/

https://www.sbmar.com/articles/oil-pan-capacities-for-cummins-marine-engines/

2 users thanked author for this post.

Rob Schepis
    Forum Moderator
    Vessel Name: Tenacious
    Engines: 6BTA 5.9 330's - "Seaboard Style"

Brad, as Tony said, put your time in here searching and reading, we’ve all put in hours and hours building this site up with a lot of helpful stuff and it’s here for all to share and learn. Corey has really enhanced the Search function. Here’s a start, a”slobber” search:

https://www.sbmar.com/community/search/slobber/?gdpos=power-search-request

1 user thanked author for this post.

Brad Fausett
    Participant

Tony,

You may have not seen all the photos, or i am not following how the intake side issues are causing this leak on the exhaust side of the turbo.

Is this just excess oil being ingested and leaking out the back side? Pardon my ignorance. I just want to figure out what I need to be addressing so that I can fix any issues prior to relaunch of the boat. This oil leak is obviously a problem.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

You have a 90%+ chance your turbo is fine– The Airsep needs to go into the trash ( or put on Craig’s List) and the air side on the turbo need to be cleaned up.. A 2 hour job at most if you “hands-on”–Just sweat equity, no parts needed..

Then, you need to upgrade your CCV system..

Tony,

Brad Fausett
    Participant

Thank you Tony. I had originally written a lengthy post inquiring about if this was indeed due to the CCV issue as i have read about it here on your site. For some reason that thread disappeared so i rewrote this. Is the foam like substance oil and not supposed to be there?

Can you advise on the turbo leaking oil and let me know if this is a rebuild that is needed ( do you offer this service )or if the turbo is leaking oil due to it ingesting it on the intake side.

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Joint the club with owning extremely poorly designed CCV system built for this engine.. I have written about this for well over 12 years now and there are at least 2 articles on this web site the specially addressing this issue..

Before I go any deeper, do some searching around on this web site and another one I used to be involced in ( for about 17 yrs)–It’s all there.. A key word is Cummins with “CCV” and “Envirovent”

Tony

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.