• Creator
    Topic

Phillip Howard
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Red Beans and Rice
    Engines: Cummins 8.3-6CTA

In Arizona and temps may be a bit colder than I I remember last winter. Noticed both of my 6CTAs running a little rougher than usual and more white smoke than usual for longer. My boat mechanic noticed that my grid heaters werenā€™t hot to the touch. I later noticed that each motor had a free floating wire Iā€™m assuming are ground wires. I purchased the boat in Los Angeles in 2021. Iā€™ve seen on other forums that people in warmer climates run their engines without the grid heaters. Iā€™ve been told to verify that the grid heaters are receiving power by putting a meter on them before trying to reconnect them. Does anyone know how to do that? Pictures maybe? TIA

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Learn “Tonys Tips”Ā  It all there

How to Deal with the Cummins Marine Air Heater Circuit

Tim
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Air Waves
    Engines: 6CTA (480)

Disconnecting grid heaters?

Is there an easy way to disconnect the grid heaters but leave all the wiring in place should I want to go back?Ā Ā  The up and down idle along with the crazy electrical load can’t be good.Ā Ā  I have wolverines’ that I plan to install while I’m down there next time.

Richard Dodson
    Participant
    Vessel Name: SWAY
    Engines: 6CTA 8.3 480

Grid Heaters

FWIW, I disconnected mine years ago. The engines start just fine, even at 30 degrees. Ā The voltage fluctuation is tough on the alternators and canā€™t be good for the electronics. Ā 

Jim Miller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Green Flash
    Engines: 6CTA8.3

Grid heaters/ Block Heaters/ Wolverines

Boat lift on Lake Washington is the parking place. Cruising is in Puget Sound, San Juan Islands And Canadian Waters to Desolation Sound.

Phillip Howard
    Participant

Weā€™re in Lake Pleasant. Decent sized lake but definitely have dreams to hit the open water ways eventually. Are you near the sound or on the river? Thanks for your input btw.

phĀ 

Jim Miller
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Green Flash
    Engines: 6CTA8.3

Grid heaters/ Block Heaters/ Wolverines

Hello Phillip:

I have the same engines. Prior Owner had disconnected grid heaters and installed Block heaters. Reason given was excessive current draw. Block heaters were on ac plugged in at dock. Drawback was that could not be left on full time in freezing weather, they will burn out. Now running Wolverines just like Steve mentioned. I vote for Wolverines completely. No problem running 24/7 and kept engines warm enough during weather down to 17 degrees with boat stored out of water.

I am curious ,where do you run your boat in Arizona?

JimĀ  M

Phillip Howard
    Participant

Thanks Steve! I own a multimeter but not as skilled as I should be using it. I wasn’t sure what to select on my meter but now I think I got it. Also there seemed to be more than 2 connectors on the heater and not sure which is which. I’ll explore again when I get out to the lake again. Your reply is a great help!

phĀ 

Steve Lewis
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Just Us
    Engines: Cummins 480CE

Some electrical 101

PH,

welcome to the forum.Ā  I am a fellow 6CTA owner.Ā  I had our mechanic remove the fuse that operates that activation circuit for the heater grids one our engines.Ā  If someone just disconnected the wire from the grid connection then there is power on that set of connectors,Ā  that is not an ideal situation to have power on those just dangling.Ā  As to your question, a basic Fluke 107(or other brand/model) Digital Multi Meter is what I would consider to be a mandatory item in any tool kit on a boat.Ā  You can measure both AC and DC voltage, resistance, current and other handy things.Ā  You can simply attach the leads of the MultiMeter to the connections to the grid.Ā  The one that is attached to the grid and the dangling wire.Ā  When you go to start the engines the grid should activate and you should see 12 or more volts across those connections.Ā  since it is DC you will see a negative number if the leads are connected backwards.Ā  Thus you will be able to know if that is the + or – wire that is dangling based on the reading.

Those grid heaters draw significant current and are an extra draw on your power source at start up.Ā  If the grids are connected, and the engine is running you can watch your volt meter on the dash and see the fluctuations as the grid cycles on and off.Ā  When my wife and I first bought our boat we saw that voltage fluctuation and had our mechanic remove the activation circuit fuse as opposed to disconnecting one of the wires.Ā  He was doing some other work so we had him do it while he was down in there otherwise I would have done it myself.

You can use other methods of warming your engines than the grid heater.Ā  Wolverine makes a 250watt oil pan heater, appropriate for the 6CTA and SBMAR sells, that heats the entire engine in a much softer method so that you will see a decrease in black and white smoke at startup.Ā  Also those Wolverines run on AC power while you are at the dock.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.