• Creator
    Topic

Jeffrey Melhauser
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Channel Surfer
    Engines: 6bta 370hp

Hello all.

I’ve got a new issue with one of my 6Bta’s, When I turn the ignition to engage the starter there is about a 1 second delay before engagement. Motor starts up just fine but I want to correct this issue before it gets worse and leaves me stranded. 

So far I’ve removed and cleaned off all of the corrosion on the relays and solunoid and that didn’t help. The research I’ve done leads me to believe I need to rebuild the starter at this point but can’t for the life of me figure out how to remove the third bolt on the starter that’s tucked behind the solunoid next to the block.

Motor has 1150hrs and the starter appears to have been already replaced at some point before I owned it as the part number sticker says ‘Cummins rebuild’. 

Any advise on how to proceed?

Jeff

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jeffrey Melhauser
    Participant

Tony- any tips/tricks to access that third hidden bolt that holds the starter on?

Jeffrey Melhauser
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply Tony,

just tried what you had suggested and didn’t find any ‘hot’ connections. Nice cool day for the test down here in South Florida.

The symptom persisted when I tried the test, but as soon as I restarted it after feeling for hot connections I didn’t get the delay and it started immediately.

Maybe start with the solunoid? Fairly cheap part.

Jeff

Tony Athens
    Vessel Name: Local Banks
    Engines: QSB 6.7 550 HP

Sounds to me like a bad connection … Next time you try  to start and the motor is STONE cold,  and you have this delay  — DO THIS– As soon at it finally starts, shut it down.. Immediately grab EVERY battery cable connection — Both POS and NEG, even the ones on your battery switch.. Feel for HEAT..  Bet you’ll you’ll  find a “hot connection” which means the connection is high resistance and cause the delay as it tries to “re-weld” itself together..

Tony

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.