• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Todd.
  • Creator
    Topic

Todd
    Participant

I have a 1998 6 CTA 430HP with a recently rebuilt Bosch starter. It starts fine now. Boat has TWO AGM 8D start batteries, new, rated at 1450 cold cranking amps each. I am trying to find what the spec is and what the best practice is for start battery capacity. Elsewhere on this forum someone mentioned 1225 CCA was adequate, but I did not see any reference or documentation. I have never had an engine this large and never needed more than one start battery. I would like to move one of these start batteries to the house bank and install a battery bank switch so I can always use the house bank for starting if there is a problem. Thoughts?

Thank you

PS Enjoying my heavy duty Seaboard Marine T shirt from my last order…. Ā 

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Todd
    Participant

Great, thank you for the replies here.

bluebyu
    Participant

With my 2 6CTA8.3 M3 engines I use a 4D for Port and 6 T105 (Interstate) Golf carts for starboard. (3 in parallel, 2 in series) From the book: Ā 

Jay Becker
    Participant
    Vessel Name: Starlight
    Engines: 6CTA 250 diamond

I remember the 1225 CCA was from one of Tony’s Cummins spec sheets here.Ā  I had the same setup on same engines but thought the two AGM 8Ds were overkill.Ā  When they were due for replacement I put in two AGM Group 31s. Engines start fine. Using the two Gp 31s allowed me to leave the existing cables in place. Only had to change the battery hold down gear.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.